Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

Which table (if any) do you like?

msrose
13 years ago

I finally bought my 4-poster bed that I've been dreaming about for the last year. This isn't the exact one, but it's similar to this:

{{!gwi}}

The dresser is similar to this one, except in cherry:

I didn't buy the matching nightstands, because I'm trying not to be too matchy matchy. Do you like any of these?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Laurie

Comments (34)

• annzgw
    13 years ago

My honest opinion.........none work. They all appear too light weight for the style bed you'll have. Look for something that can hold the weight of a lamp and all the other stuff one tends to keep by the bed! : )

• les917
    13 years ago

They are all charming tables, but more like side tables for a chair, rather than nightstands. How about a fabric covered round table on one side, and a glass and brass or pewter table (depending on the metal finish on the dresser hardware), or something with a painted finish, on the other?

Or get one piece from the collection for one nightstand (perhaps a small cabinet or chest) and then something different on the other side.

Very pretty bed - I love four-posters!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I like the second or third one. Congratulations on your new bed...it will be beautiful!!!

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

I like the first and the fourth. Pretty bed and dresser!

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Do you think it would be better if I just went with the matching nightstands?

Laurie

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just realized I forgot this one:
    {{!gwi}}

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

I like #2 and #4. You might be able to find vintage nightstands on CL or consignment shops that would work and eliminate the matchy matchy deal. Love the bed and chest!
    and congrats again on your new own home.

• carolfm
    13 years ago

Laurie, I actually have a couple of these tables that I use as end tables and I like them alot. I also have a similar bed and I bought the matching night stands. The problem I have is that the matching nightstands are still too short for the bed! I think if your bed is as tall as mine these tables may be too short as well. Be sure to measure the height of the tables and the height of your mattress so that you aren't constantly bending over trying to reach something on the nightstand. It's annoying. I've been searching for a small 3 drawer chest to use as a nightstand but I haven't found one that is just the right diminsions/look yet. You might consider something like that or the larger round tables that give you enough room for the "stuff" you need beside your bed. Just something to consider and you may have already thought of this. I wish I had, I would have saved myself years of hanging out of the bed trying to reach something!

• User
    13 years ago

I also really like 2 and 4.
    Definitely check out the heights as compared to the bed ( I have one and it is really raised.. so beware of how the tables work with it).
    I think 2 or 4 go well without being too matchy match and are interesting as well.

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

I don't know how much space you have to work with, but I would look for something more substantial than the tables you pictured. Perhaps you could find a desk, a drawered chest, a larger rectangular table.

Here's a picture where they've used a table similar to one you've posted.

Here's two where they've used chests with drawers. I know they aren't your exact style, but you can see the relative proportions.

• User
    13 years ago

I tend to think if you have a lot of heavy furniture it's nice to lighten up with something less heavy. With that said I like the second one you posted for two reasons. Maybe three.
    Let's see...
    One the shape.
    Two storage in both the drawer and shelf underneath.
    I guess just those two.

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

forhgtv - Ooh, I love the rooms you posted and I do love the round table in the 1st picture. The 2nd one makes me think I needs some plates on the wall in my room.

Here's a table that I already have. I was thinking that it might be too ornate with my new furniture, but it's definitely taller than the average nightstand. Should I use this or get something new?

Laurie

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

When you get your new furniture why don't you audition that chest? and then decide.
    Good point about the height of the tables.

• carolfm
    13 years ago

I would try that chest before I bought anything else, Laurie. I like it. That's exactly what I have been looking for without nuch success. I did find a pretty hand painted one on overstock but it was $$ :-).

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

Laurie, I agree with cooperbailey. Try your existing chest with your new bed and see what you think. You may like it and you haven't lost anything by waiting.

I'm glad you liked the pictures. The first one is a design by Barclay Butera. I think the second belongs to a lady from North Carolina who may post here sometimes. If she sees it, I hope she doesn't mind that I shared it.

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

forhgtv - I hope she sees this, because I'd love to know what the paint color is. I'd also love to see more pictures of her house :)

Laurie

• User
    13 years ago

Hey Msrose! I'm glad you finally got your bed. I also like the dresser you picked. I'm excited to see your room all put together. You'll be using the bosporous fabric, right?

I'm not much help because I like all the tables you posted. I'd pick #2 or #4 because I like that there's a larger drawer. I like the shape of 2 better because it's different.

I'd also try out the one you have first. I like it and it looks like it can hold pretty much.

• nicole__
    13 years ago

Try your existing chest...vote.

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, I'm going to try the existing one 1st. I'll probably post pictures when I get it all set up and see what y'all think then.

Shee - Yep, I'm using the bosporous.

{{!gwi}}

Laurie

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

To me the scale of those tables look small in relation to the big bed. I'd wait until you get the bed set up and then see. Another option is a small desk on one side. It can double as a night stand and a desk. I think it would look great next to your bed with perhaps a smaller table on the other side. Here are a few examples:
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

I think matching is always less interesting.
    I'd use one small mirrored chest or a painted one on one side, and a fabric-covered round table with a square white or cream linen hem-stitched overclothcloth and a glass top on it. You could make the base cloth from your toile - toile is one of the few patterns that looks wonderful used everywhere in a room.
    Or you could use a small check, or a stripe, with the same base color and texture as the toile...very French.

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the ideas. I've always been a matchy matchy person, so I love the idea of things not matching, but still looking good.

bronwynsmom - French Country is what I'm going for! Love, love, love it!

Laurie

• cliff_and_joann
    13 years ago

I like the second one for your bedroom.
    Joann

• spiceislands
    13 years ago

bronwynsmom said exactly what I was thinking. I am more eclectic and the tables pictured above, though all nice, would be very predictable and expected, therefore IMHO a tad ho-humm. I have a large round table w/fabric skirt, square overlay and glass top on one side of my bed and a dresser on the other. The fabrics on the table tie in w/the bedding. A few interesting objects on the drsser and table make for a more individual and less "decorator" look, I think.

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

spiceislands - Do you have a picture of your bedroom?

Laurie

• susanwrites
    13 years ago

Hi Laurie,
    I love your new bed and that chest you have already is just what I'm looking for too!

I have a question about the table pics you posted, where did you find the 5th one, the one with a bit of the floral chair in the picture? It looks like something I might be able to use.

Thanks!

Susan

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Susan,

I found that one at Penneys.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: table at Penneys

• carolfm
    13 years ago

I have the same table and found it at Amazon a bit cheaper, but once you pay shipping I suppose it's about the same price. Can't you have it shipped to JCP and pick it up and save shipping?

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Same table at Amazon

• susanwrites
    13 years ago

Thanks Laurie and Carol for the table links.

• carolfm
    13 years ago

Laurie, I finally bought this chest at Overstock! They had 10% off this weekend :-). Now to find something for the other side of *my* bed. I still think your chest will work with a round table on the other side like described above. If not that chest, how about a painted chest like this? You may could use something larger. My room isn't all that big.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Painted chest

• User
    13 years ago

I think you did good buying from Overstock. Their shipping is SO reasonable.

And I've had nothing but troubles with JCP for three separate orders. They were not damaged, they just have no idea how to run an online shopping setup. Be aware that I waited three months for two chairs on the first order, and two months on the second order, and then a month for something they claimed was IN STOCK at a local store. Not a good experience at all.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I have a chest type on one side of our king 4 poster and a substantial round pedestal on the other side. I like having them not match. I wish I hadn't bought the chest type at all but I did because it matched the bed (and so was easy).

Anyway, I don't think any you have pictured are big enough and some are way too leggy.

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bumblebeez - Do you have a picture of your round one?

Laurie

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I'll take some tomorrow.