Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

2 cleaning questions

We are just getting settled in our new home and love it ! Almost done painting, and still have fun things like furniture shopping to do.
I have hardwood in our dining and entry way , it's solid oak. Very pretty ! Wonder is the bona mop system the best ? Is a swiffer wet jet ok ? Is my already owned shark steam mop a bad idea ? What is the best thing for hardwood ? I want to maintain it properly.

Also , we have 2 dogs , a bulldog and a cavalier. Both great dogs , but I want to avoid the dog smell. I didn't think we had it till we moved and I had to go back to old house and phew ! I know part of it is the air was off and it's hot here. But I don't want new hours to smell . Are there any cleaning products or air freshened you reccomend ? I want to stay ahead of the game!
Note , they're both house trained so it's not an issue of that ,and get baths every other week .
I feel like the deserve to be shown off here ! Lol
Diesel is the happiest I've seen him in ages.

Henry is a little hard to get a good pic of ! He never sits still and the black fur dosnt help his pics. He loves to drag water bottles around!

Comments (9)

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I am currently using the Bona system, but you have to vacuum or sweep first to pick up bits and crumbs. Then Bona picks up the dust, but if you miss a spot you will notice it..and it's almost impossible to not miss spots.....at least this is the case for me. I've sort of just given up, do the best I can and call it a day. Vacuuming a carpet is way easier in my opinion.

I don't have dogs but friends have two Goldens. Their house used to smell because of the crates, which they don't use anymore. I think they vacuum regularly and wash their doggie beds regularly.

Congrats on your new home! Cute dogs!

• Tmnca
    9 years ago

A steam mop is fine if it's real hardwood (not engineered, moisture can make the core swell) and a bona mop is fine too. Swiffer wet Jet leaves a yucky residue that will make floors dull, also awful artificial fragrances that give me a headache.

As for doggie smell, the best way to minimize (I don't think it's possible to have dogs and not have any smell) is to clean frequently, open windows to air out frequently, and not try to cover up with "freshening" products. Then you just have doggie smell with fake perfume, yuck. Doggie smell is mainly from their skin oils so hardwood floors cleaned regularly will help, and wipe down walls at doggie level where they rub (doorways, etc) with a microfiber cloth moistened with a little water and dish detergent to remove oils.

For hardwood with pets I also recommend a robot floor vac - the Mint is great if you have only a few rugs, or a Roomba pet model or Neato.

• julieboulangerie
    9 years ago

I dust mop or sweep my wood floors, and use the Shark steam mop occasionally. No harm yet!

Without carpet, I think it's easier to avoid the dog odor. I have a low-shedding dog, so he doesn't have the classic stink, but he does have a scent. I try to launder things regularly, make sure any messes are immediately cleaned up, and have the carpets professionally steam cleaned every year or two.

• sundance510
    9 years ago

I can't really comment on the wood floors. I have laminate and use the Bruce Hardwood/Laminate system. Works well on laminate, so I would guess it does ok on hardwoods too.

Anyhow, for pet odors, I highly recommend Fresh Wave products. I worked in a veterinary clinic for 3 years (believe me, there were some odors!!) and we used Fresh Wave throughout the hospital. People would comment in the lobby that it didn't smell like an animal hospital. We mostly used the gel crystals. They absorb the odor out of the air and turn into little dried pebbles when used up. The smaller containers have a vented cap and you just set it out, but I prefer to get the big 64oz container so I can put it in my own pretty little bowls. They also make a laundry additive (awesome for stinky dog blankets/bed covers), vacuum pearls, carpet shake, candles and a spray. The best part is that there are no perfumes... it just leaves behind a really fresh smell.

I just realized I sound like an infomercial.... sorry, I really love the stuff!

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I've never heard of the Fresh Wave products (sounds great!), but I was going to suggest something that absorbs odor.

For my hardwood floors, I always vacuum and then ever so often do the bona. Sometimes I do the bona right after vacuuming or sometimes in between vacuumings. I don't have the problem mentioned above with "spots". I do not use my steam mop on my hardwood floor, although I do believe I have read it is okay. Do you have any product info on your floors? The manufacturer usually has suggested methods of cleaning.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I use my Haan steam mop on my wood floors and LOVE it. YOu do have to vacuum first. But no more chemicals, no buying cleaner when you run outâ¦just plop it on the pad, plug it in, give it about a mine, and go.

Key to wood floors and steam mops is to never, ever let it sit directly on the wood. Just keep it moving.

the dogs will do more damage to the wood floors than your steam mop will!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Keep the dogs brushed and their teeth brushed and you should be fine.

• Linderhof1208
    9 years ago

I have old wood floors, two dogs (a rat terrier and a corgi), and use both Bona and a steam mop and a "wet mop" in the kitchen almost daily. Have had the steam mop for two years and absolutely core it, the bona a lot longer. I vacuum, steam mop and then in the evenings after dinner, I sweep the kitchen with a broom and wet mop with something similar to a spritzing swifter only it's one that you refill (and I refill with either vinegar water or bona cleaner).

Martha

• User
    9 years ago

Using a steam mop on your wood floors is very risky and voids the warranty. No wood floor manufacturer approves of this. It's only the steam mop people that say it's OK.

For the dogs, the usual source of smell on dogs besides general normal dogginess is yeast infections between the paws and folds of skin. Using a vinegar rinse can help with that when you give them a bath, but the result can almost be worse than doggie smells. Often, the same stuff you use on athletes foot can work around the neck and groin folds if the dog doesn't lick it off. That leaves just bathing the feet with a pH altering substance that inhibits the yeasts. That can be either acids or base, and one of the easiest things is just an alkaline 10% bleach solution every couple of days as a foot soak, drying the feet thoroughly afterwards.