Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How large is the artwork over your bed?

Posted by randita (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 21:21

I have a queen sized bed and I am considering hanging a 48" x 36" painting above it. It isn't hung yet - otherwise I would post a photo.

Is there a rule of thumb on determining the correct size artwork to go over a piece of furniture or is it just a matter of taste or aesthetics?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How large is the artwork over your bed?

It would also depend on the style of your bed/headboard.

I have a window over my king bed!

o

I used to have a very large framed canvas print over our bed. When we had to get a new headboard for our queen mattress set, it did not fit anymore, so I sold it at a consignment shop. But a large piece can look dramatic. I think it's worse to have something too small because it gets lost.

I just bought from Ikea for our guest room a 3-piece floral botanicals which are 22" square each. This is a nice size for over the bed, and it looks great.

o

Is there a rule of thumb on determining the correct size artwork to go over a piece of furniture or is it just a matter of taste or aesthetics?

No rules when it comes to artwork -- if you love it -- hang it! Queen size beds are about 5' Wide -- depending on your headboard ... you should be fine. :)

o

I have always had the same question. However, I have noticed while looking at magazines and design shows that there doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule. I see small pieces of artwork over beds often that look really neat! For example I noticed in one of the bedrooms that Sarah Richardson decorated in her farmhouse, had a very small round picture over a full or queen bed. It looked great!

I agree with Pines that if you love it and you think it looks ok, hang it.

o

I say it's a matter of taste and aesthetics. I, for instance, have a queen-sized sleigh bed with an unusually high headboard, in a room with 8 foot ceilings. (I did not pick out our bedroom set and wouldn't have chosen this because I would actually like my bed to be under a window, but we'd have to go for an almost non-existent headboard to do that.) The size of the headboard makes hanging any artwork a challenge.... it all seems "out of balance" - too high up the wall. So, we have nothing. But I would not even hesitate to hang a large painting if the headboard were a bit lower. I think that you can hang a large piece of artwork in lieu of a high headboard.

o

** Just make sure it is securely hung so it doesn't fall on top of you while you sleep!

o

Also, my frame shop recommended plexiglass rather than regular glass in any frame over a bed.

o

How high is your ceiling?

o

I have read that the rule is to go by 3rds. So, the artwork should take up about 1/3 or 2/3 of the width of your headboard. But, that is just a guideline. Do a mockup with paper to see how you feel.

o

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like basically anything goes if you like the way it looks.

I think that the painting to bed ratio would be about 2/3, maybe a bit more but not much.

Our headboard is not high and it is an open weave style (cherry wood).

With the furniture, windows and doorways in the bedroom, there isn't much space left at all for artwork. So I want to make the space above the bed count.

o

DD2 just asked me to email her picture of her old townhouse - selling the artwork on a local FB trading page. It's about the size you're considering over a queen bed.

o

I used to have a large picture about the size of Allison's picture over my bed that I bought from an Estate sale and loved until I got new bedroom furniture and my headboard is so tall that now I have nothing over the headboard but I think about it all the time. I am thinking now of a few smaller pictures over my headboard so my 6 feet iron headboard can remain the star. I still have the beautiful flower picture that I have nowhere to hang.

o

Had a long narrow print over the bed for a few years and always felt the scale was off. I recently inherited a large oil painting that I placed in my dining room, so I relocated the old oil to my bedroom. I think it's much better in scale. No heavy glass either!

BEFORE
 photo Misc040.jpg

AFTER - Sorry for the ceiling shot...my bed is not made. :)

o

Newhomebuilder, I love the new picture over your bed that is the right size and looks so peaceful and goes so well with the colors in your room. Thanks for sharing.

o

Thank you. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here