Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd

School House Lights Score!

ttodd
9 years ago

I was at my niece's HS graduation party today that was held in an the local rec center in the tiniest town ever that they live in. In this town they repurpose whole buildings into new businesses. They have a pizza shop in an old gas station (pumps still out front) and another in an old stone Catholic Church, and a hair dresser shop built into a car repair garage, etc. It's waste not want not there & very quirky. The rec center was once a 5 room school house that they were going to tear down but my dad and a few other locals turned it into a rec center for the youth. My dad used to restore old homes and business's before he retired so he did the plans and directed the reno. They left most of it intact and also created a museum room filled w/ the miner history of the town and a mock classroom like what once existed there.

Today was the first time that I'd really ever been in the building and of course I was wandering around it dreaming of what I would do if it were mine and how would I turn it into a home. I was immediately struck by the original schoolhouse pendant lights in the classroom mock up. 10 or so of them all lined up in perfect rows. Then I meandered over to the museum room in the dark. My dad followed behind me and flipped on the lights. There were more of those beautiful original lights. I commented to him on them and how much I loved them when he nonchalantly says "Oh those? I have a whole bunch of them in storage when we took them out of the other 3 classrooms. They told me I could have them if I wanted. I don't know what I'd do w/ them but you know me. Want them?"

I swear the heavens opened and the angels sang. 3 classrooms w/ approximately 6-10 pendants each. I melted in his arms.

He doesn't even know exactly how many he has........

No idea where or what I'll do w/ them but who cares!

They look exactly like this reproduction but mine are larger.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner