Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerette64

Arranging living room furniture

gerette64
9 years ago

Hi everyone! I recently purchased a home with a rectangular living room. The tv will be at one end, but there is a fireplace at the other end.

I tried to make a separate sitting area down by the fireplace, but, its not working out so well. I have no idea how to get this room to work.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have posted a few pictures. I am open to replacing or removing some items.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (10)

• gerette64
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Photo 2

• gerette64
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Photo 3

• camlan
    9 years ago

Question: Does the TV have to be in the living room, or is there a family room where it could go?

I'm guessing the blue chairs are the primary TV watching chairs? Because if they aren't, you could move the loveseat currently in front of the fireplace to where the chairs are, and the chairs to the fireplace area. That might work a bit better.

You've got a lot going on at the fireplace end of the room--the fireplace, the angled wall, and it appears to be a main traffic path. All that combined is going to make furniture placement a challenge.

I'd also consider removing the blue chairs, and swinging the loveseat around to their place. Then I'd get a smaller, wooden chair, maybe even a rocking chair, and place it by the fireplace, but looking out into the rest of the room.

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

I'm not the best a visualizing where all of the furniture should go, but I wonder if you moved the tv catty corner where the blue wall art is perhaps it might open up some space for others to make recommendations.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

You have the same problem I had. Way too much heavy furniture. It smothers the room and make rearranging furniture nearly impossible.

I think you're going to have to bite the bullet and get rid of the loveseat and possibly replace the recliners with thinner chairs. I know, it's not good for TV viewing. lol

Smaller and less furniture could give you two seating areas.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

You can measure up the room and go to homestyler.com...free on line software where you can lay out your walls and your furniture to move around on line and see what might work.

The problem is you have 2 competing focal points...the TV and the fireplace...and not enough room in between for 2 separate seating areas, esp with the size of your current furnishings. You also have traffic patterns flowing through the room making it functionally smaller than the walls would suggest.

The only thing that might work would be to put one sofa in front of the window and the recliners opposite it on the other side so when seated, both the fireplace and tv are visible...but this is not the best for tv viewing from the sofa.

You may just have to bite the bullet and arrange the room around the tv and ignore the fireplace...set it up as decorative only with maybe a small chair, a basket of wood, etc.

We had a similar set up at the old house and we ended up ignoring the fireplace which we turned into a wood stove. We arranged the LR furniture around the window and the TV...

• yayagal
    9 years ago

How often do you use your dining room? Can you switch your use of the rooms to have the tv and furniture in the dining room and use the living room for dining? That way you can create a cozy dining room with a fire and you may be able to position furniture with more ease in the swapping of the rooms.

• erinsean
    9 years ago

I have had a TV in front of the window....if you did that, you could put your love seat (the one behind the blue chairs) on that wall. I have my room set up so that our fireplace is ignored and I think that is what you may have to do. If your TV must stay where it is, I would remove the loveseat (behind the two chairs) and put it in another room. Or put it on the wall under the round thing, if room....then it would face the fireplace, sort of.

• gerette64
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much for your input. I do like the tv catty corner idea and that my furniture is to heavy for the room. I was hoping to get it work, but, with the input I have gotten here, I have a couple of things I will try that I hadnt thought of. Thanks again!!

• User
    9 years ago

Gerette,
    Placing the TV caticorner is the key.
    I would move the big couch facing it, and move the loveseat on the other wall.
    Do you really need all that furniture? Are there many people in your home, I was just wondering.
    I like where you have the loveseat now though, behind the blue chairs like that.
    I know it's a whole lot of work, but can you take all the furniture out of the room and then add one piece at a time back into it?
    You'll be surprised at how you don't want it all back.