Option 1 (but not gray)

Comments (30)

• louislinus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Option 2

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Well, I like both, but it depends on your house and how it fits in. Will you have stone with option 1 as shown? I am a sucker for stonework so my first instinct is that one, but without seeing the intended location, it might not be the best choice.

• edeevee
    9 years ago

To me, the first one appears to have a kind of Asian feel to it while the second one seems more country. Depends on what your house looks like;

• jakefield
    9 years ago

In general, I prefer number one, but it would completely depend on your house. Can you post a picture?

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I like number one, and that's what I'm hoping to do for my front :)

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Overall I like #2 better - I like the pickets the same size instead of alternating. I like the gate in #1, but the gate in #2 would be easier to build.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I like #2 better.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

They're both beautiful but depends on the house.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

You didn't ask for critique, but after spending MONTHS searching fence designs, this is what struck me about these designs...# 1 is nice, but I don't think the gate goes with the style of the fence. The staggered pickets are busy enough, then adding the curved gate just seems incongruous to me (altho I like both elements). I think the stonework is what makes it special. I'd like the fence and gate together if the pickets were either the same height or even better if the horizontal piece spanned the tops.

#2, I think the pickets are too spindly for the beefiness of the posts and I think they are a bit too far apart for how thin they are. I think the horizontal piece in the gate really diminishes its aesthetics (altho I know it's necessary for sturdiness of that style, but it looks like bad design to me with those pickets).

So I'd like either with some tweaks.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I like #1 but without the staggered pickets, make the all the same height.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

The first one is much classier.

• teacats
    9 years ago

First fence -- with modified gate -- in a square shape with horizontals (that cross the vertical pickets) that mimic and follow the ones on the fence line .... to illustrate -- in the first example -- there would be an additional horizontal at the top of the (now) squared gate that followed the one on the fence line ....

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

duplicate post...

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 0:11

• louislinus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

#1 is the winner! To clarify there is no stonework. I was just choosing between picket styles. The fence is not in the front yard but we have large side yards so the fence will still be very visible from the street. Here's a picture of our house.

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

I honestly don't know how anyone could give a helpful opinion without having seen the house first. Did you want to know which fence would look best with your home or which fence people liked in a vacuum?

• louislinus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I felt pretty confident that both would work so I was really just curious what picket design folks liked regardless of the house. Which one do you like?

• susie100
    9 years ago

Do you actually need a fence?

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

The first one is just too busy for my taste and it's too highly stylized (Asian inspired?). If I had to choose, I'd go with number 2 for your home. FWIW, I tend to like more traditional things.

• louislinus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes we definitely need a fence. 2 big dogs and 3 little kids.

• peony4
    9 years ago

Are your dogs jumpers? Given the right rabbit or bird, some dogs wouldn't hesitate jumping the first fence!

• louislinus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's taller than pictured. 48"

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Your home and location are beautiful, I'm sure either one would look great but, for me, it would be #1.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I like number one.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

I like #1, especially with the stone which you will not have. But for your house, I believe #2 would look best. Clean lines with the pickets!

• suero
    9 years ago

Where will the fence go? #1 looks to me more like a fence for the front yard; #2 maybe more for a side/back yard. I think for a side/back yard fence for your lovely home I would prefer rails, rather than pickets, with chicken wire if needed to keep the dogs in.

• lyfia
    9 years ago

For a 48" tall fence I like number 2. I don't think number 1 will have the same look if made taller. It will look less organized if taller and not have the same look.

• melsouth
    9 years ago

Your house is quite traditional.
    Fence # 1 doesn't seem traditional.
    Fence # 2, with some slight changes, would work better.

Are these your only options?

Beautiful house!

• SunnyCottage
    9 years ago

I can't envision #1 with your home at all. It looks like it belongs to a craftsman style bungalow. I think #2 would be the best choice of the two.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Is this fence for form or function? If it is for function, I would get a prefab 6-foot fence that would keep dogs in and intruders out. When the safety of my loved ones is the main reason for a fence, I could care less about the beauty or matching my architecture. I want protection. Get what it takes to keep predators out and dogs in unless they need to protect your children against pedophiles or kidnappers.

• lucillle
    9 years ago

I can see asking for opinions, that is what this forum is for, but ultimately, we shouldn't decide, you should.

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x