Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Door color with Hardie Sail Cloth

Posted by violetcat (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 21:10

I am new to posting, so please forgive me if I do something wrong. I'm only brave enough to post now because I'm desperate.

We're having the house sided in Hardie Sail Cloth with Arctic White trim. There is a little red brick showing. Light fixtures are black, and door hardware is brushed nickel.

We want black or dark gray door and shutters (On our house, one color works better than two, and I just accent the door with a wreath). What black looks good with Sail Cloth? Specific brands and colors greatly appreciated!

SW Tricorn seemed too stark. BM Black Knight is greener than I like, and Midnight was just...blah (too teal? too light? All I know is none of us liked it).

Somebody said SW Inkwell was a good historic black, so I figured it was a safe bet, but the SW man looked horrifed and steered me away from it. He suggested Sealskin, which I'm sure looks good with the Sailcloth if you like brown undertones, but they remind me of the beige/brown that's all over my mother's nursing home.

But sitting here at home, I still think the Inkwell chip looks good against the sample Hardie. And it looks like a beautiful blue-black, my favorite kind. Would that work, or is the SW man right? Will such a dark color be gaudy when there are big chunks of it all over the front of a pale house?

Should we go with something lighter? An entirely different color? We are open to suggestions, but we have had red for over 20 years and are ready for a change. Other colors I'm considering are BM Baby Seal Black,Black Tar, Blacktop, some shade of blue, and the list goes on. Heaven help me, I've even considered green.

I am terrible at picking colors. Please help before we have to take out a loan to finance my paint samples!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Door color with Hardie Sail Cloth

In case anybody else ever has the same question, I found out that a local painter uses a lot of SW black fox and iron ore with the sail cloth. Thank goodness the search is over!

This post was edited by violetcat on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 21:53

o

I love SW Black Fox! We used it in our office building and depending on the light it can look like a soft black, a brown black, or charcoal-y. I would at least give it a try.

o

Thank you, Kswl! Your description makes black fox sound absolutely beautiful. I'll get a sample today!

This post was edited by violetcat on Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 6:57

o

You are very welcome, violet, and please post a photo of your trial run!

o

Update: Black fox is gorgeous!

It looked too brown against the old siding, so I threw it in the reject pile. But it is beautiful now that the new siding is up. Both sidings are sort of light yellow, so it's amazing how different the same color looks against them.

And it's amazing how much different the whole house looks: It is no longer the neighborhood eyesore and is even pretty! That was irrelevant, but I was so happy I had to share.

If anybody else wonders how various colors look with sailcloth, here's what we learned, at least for our house (It has red brick and siding. It's in the South and faces the afternoon sun. It's small and close to the road):

There may be a blue or blue-black that works, but I tried a lot of samples and never found it.

Green-blacks and some cyan-blacks looked great. The cyan needs to lean more green than blue.

Browns look good.

Very black was too stark for my taste, but if you want the blackest black, SW Tricorn is the one.

This post was edited by violetcat on Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 6:51

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here