Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloenkitty_gw

Question about painting cabinets

chloenkitty
9 years ago

I think I want to have the cabinets in one of the bathrooms in our new build painted a light gray. The floor, countertop will be carerra, clawfoot tub. I've never had cabinets painted before, so I'm clueless to the process. I'm worried they will "look painted." Am I suppose to order a certain type of cabinet, what type of paint, etc? I just picture glossy, streaky cabinets that look painted. I'm sure my builder will know what he's doing, but I wanted to ask here. I've attached a pic of a color I like. Thanks

Comments (5)

• bbstx
    9 years ago

All of my cabinets are painted in my new house. They are not glossy. I suppose the cabinetmaker used a satin finish. Also, they are not streaky. They were spray painted in the cabinet shop before they were installed.

They did have the slightest bit of roughness when they were first installed. I complained. The cabinetmaker sent his field crew out. They used brown paper bags to smooth them down. I thought they were nuts when they said that was what they were going to do, but it worked!

My builder had me meet with his cabinet sub. I just told him I wanted a painted finish. He did all the rest. I, of course, had to choose the color I wanted.

Don't worry your builder and your cabinetmaker will walk you through it.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Painted cabinets doesn't use paint like you'd buy from a paint store. It's a tinted high solids lacquer (sprayed) that then is clear coated with a conversion varnish. All done and cured in a specialty clean room with no dust or bugs. Or, it should be if you're dealing with a reputable cabinet manufacturer or true custom maker and not a site built hack.

• jackson2348
    9 years ago

Ha! All the cabinets in our new house were site built by our extremely talented (hack) trim carpenter, then finished on site by our extremely talented (hack) paint crew. They look awesome. They are smooth and have a beautiful satin finish. The below pic is the only one on my phone, but you get the idea.

There are many, many different means to an end. What is customary in one area of the country may not be in another area. For example, my area has no tract builders. None. All the residential builders are local. Also, interestingly, they all, at every price point, use site built and finished cabinetry.

Chloe, I don't know what's the preferred method in your area, but I'm sure you'll be able to get beautiful painted cabinetry, whichever way your builder does things.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

In our area, site-built vs shop-built is locale-driven, very locale-driven. Where I live, most cabinets are shop built, even for the priciest houses. Two hours away, my nephew owns a hardware supply company. He tells me that there, most cabinets, except in the lower price ranges, are site-built.

Like jackson2348, there are no major/nationwide/regional house builders in our area.

• jackson2348
    9 years ago

Bbstx, your nephew and neice are great friends of ours, I think. Is it RSH? He's got all our hardware for the new house waiting as we speak.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider