Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjmama_gw

anyone stained their deck in a color other than brown?

kjmama
13 years ago

We were thinking of staining our deck in a dark green.... anyone done, this had experience in this arena? Any pictures?

Thanks in advance.:)

Comments (21)

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

Our front porch is stained blue....
    {{!gwi}}
    click photo to enlarge
    This photo was taken the year we moved in before the porch was finished, but it's the best one I have of the blue stain.

• nhb22
    13 years ago

I love a dark Charleston green. We once painted out handrails that color. Just remember that a green deck will really show the pollen, and also attract the heat from the sun.

• mjsee
    13 years ago

We stained our decks a deep red...I'm sorry I don't have any pictures uploaded. We are pleased with it.

• lsst
    13 years ago

We stained ours in a Cabot Opaque stain that is a greenish/blue gray.

• bebetokids
    13 years ago

I would also like to see some pics if anyone has them-wanna stain mine a different color but DH has a hard time with anything other than brown. So pics please if you have them!

• barb5
    13 years ago

In my first home I stained the deck a dark green. Over time it faded and didn't look so top notch. That was over 20 years ago and stains have probably gotten better. I also can't remember what exactly I stained- it was wood, but don't remember if it was pressure treated or not.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    13 years ago

I just stained mine in Cabot's semi-solid "acorn", which is a taupe.

• kjmama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the picture, justgottobeme! Gosh, your house is lovely. The blue turned out well. Did you do the rails in blue as well?
    Thanks for the other colors you all have used... and the warning:)

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

You are very welcome. Actually since that photo was taken we've closed in the front porch with ScreenTight screening and love it. I'm hoping this summer to have time to paint a rug on the porch over the blue. We did our back deck in a wood tone, but I really like the blue on the front since our gables blue also.

• tracey_b
    13 years ago

At our last house, we did the deck floor in a "redwood"--I'd wanted a semi-transparent version, but hubby ended up with a solid stain. I hated it, and once you go solid, you can't go back! The deck was on the south side of the house and not shaded. The red made it look sooooo hot in the summer-time. When it was time to re-apply it, we went for a dark gray and loved it. Much cooler (of course, by this time, our birches had grown enough to shade most of the deck, too) and more neutral. So, maybe do a test of the color on a big piece of cardboard or something and see how you like it, especially if doing something non-neutral and/or dark, etc. Just like testing paint colors in the house.

• mrsmarv
    13 years ago

I was up against the same problem with my DH. I wanted to stain our (very large 16' x 32') deck a smoky blue. DH really was against it and since he almost never negates anything I want to do, I acquiesced. It is now a greige color, which matches the siding. I have to say that I like it, but I would have liked the blue more.
    Good luck!

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

kjmama if you need a visual add a photo a swatch of the color and I'll see what I can do virtually for you.

• kjmama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone, your input is helpful.
    tracey- I had not thought of the cool/hot issue, but I can see that as one of the problems with the current stain - besides that it needs to be redone;)
    thanks justgottobeme:)I will post the pics we have. Some are of the previous owners stuff, but you can see the color. One pic would be a good candidate for virtualizing (is that a word?) but you can't see the current color very well... So here is goes. Thank you for your offer, that is so kind. You don't need to work on all of them, I'm just posting what we have. :) Thanks!

I'm not sure how to post a sample color, but I was thinking Hedgerow, Shade Tree, or Thicket - feel free to offer any thoughts:)
    Here is the link
    http://www.cabotstain.com/colors-and-finishes/families/Semi-Transparent-Colors.html

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabot stains

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

Well here you go. I hope this helps.

• kjmama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, thank you justgottobeme that does help a lot! Amazing what a little visualization can do:)

• portablegeek
    13 years ago

Dark green looks nice

• beths96
    13 years ago

We don't have a deck, but we stained our privacy fence in a dark gray stain to match our siding. I LOVE it! I didn't realize, before asking on here, that stain came in solid colors. The stain was Minwax brand (I think), from Lowe's, and has held up very well over the past four years. We get lots of complements on our choice of stain! Hope this helps!

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

You are very welcome. Not sure how true the colors are, but I did "pick" them from the samples you gave me.

• Boopadaboo
    13 years ago

We stained ours black at our last house.

We moved about a year or so later, so I am not sure how it held up.

• izzie
    13 years ago

My deck was stained (oil based) medium gray (semi-transparent), house was painted gray. I recently repainted house in tan and wanted to go to more of a brown, am using oil based again. I power washed/cleaned deck and stained one coat so far, really needed it and could use 2 coats. It's going to take a few more coats to really cover gray. In a few areas however the semi-transparent didn't really soak in over the gray. The gray seems to have sealed up wood and it won't soak up any brown, it kind of lays on top. It is all on the big support posts that are about 6" x 6". Aside from stripping it, which I just am not going to do, I am just not that picky and don't have to look directly at it.

Just be sure you will always like that color, may have to strip to change color.

• Shannon01
    13 years ago

Kinda hard to see but our deck is stained a light bluey silver grey tone. The structure and some trim is a lighter whitish grey and there are also white slats on top of structure. Pic looks really blue but the main floor is actually same color as spa. Our house is a dull white with a med blue trim. Our pool tile has blue tones in it and also the pebble tec plaster has some blue in it. We now have a silver spa cover which looks much better on deck than the brown.