Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mirror and sconces

Posted by jacquelynn (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 20:31

I'm still trying to decide on minor improvements to a mid-century pink bathroom. I want to keep the style traditional.The sink is a vintage console style, 24" wide.

I'm trying to decide on lighting to go with a 24 x 36 oval-shaped mirror. I've narrowed it down to the ones in the images.I prefer something I can return for free to a local store if necessary.

Do any of you have a preference for one or two of them?The mock-ups are not to scale!

I'll appreciate any feedback.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mirror and sconces

#2 at least from the mock up.

o

For pink mid-century? #3.

o

1 and 3, 2 and 4 are the same, the only difference being whether you want the lights facing up or down. Do you have a preference?

o

Sorry, I should have mentioned that some of them are the same, only up or down. I've read that down is better for lighting -- is that right?

o

I grew up during that time and I remember more bathrooms with sconces more like 5 & 6 in my new-ish (at the time) subdivision. But I also remember that those lights seemed mainly for show or for fancy night lights. They didn't really throw out that much light. Most of the bathrooms also had utilitarian ceiling fixtures or a light bar built into the top of a medicine cabinet -- so not sure how authentic you want to be? All of the sconces look lovely by the way.

o

I think #2 is a little more feminine for your pink bathroom. I like them facing up.

o

Why not embrace the mid-century modern style?

All of these items are from Lowes.

o

Thanks, everyone.

Edeevee, I don't need to be completely authentic -- I'm removing several vintage features (a wall heater and built-in medicine cabinets) -- I just didn't want a light that looked super contemporary. And I do have a ceiling light that I'm relying on now, so the sconces are mainly for decoration.

beverly 27, Wow. Those would really require me to change my thinking! It's an interesting idea.

I appreciate all your opinions...I wish there were
a tie-breaker! :)

o

i probably would choose #3...

o

Thanks, busybee! I'm going to start a new thread
and will include your choice in the new pic.

o

A pic of the vanity would help.

o

IME down is better for lighting and cleaning purposes.

o

Mayflowers,

It's just a vintage console sink. Here: (ignore the wallpaper coming off)

And juddgirl2, thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here