Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teddas

Black window trim????

teddas
15 years ago

Ok, my sister lives near Atlanta and says the new thing is dark or black window trim?? I am in virginia and this is not the norm here, but I find that we are behind the times when it comes to decorating, at least compared to Hotlanta!

She sent me pictures of her home and it did look good!

any comments on this???

Comments (20)

• lynne_melb
    15 years ago

On the inside or the outside? Haven't seen it in my part of Florida.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

I live in NJ and have never actually seen it in any house I've been in, but do love the look in all the magazines. Just can't bear to go around painting all the trim at this point.

• dgmarie
    15 years ago

Yes, I know someone who did this for the dining room windows. She painted all the previously white trim black. It is very dramatic.

• jerseygirl_1
    15 years ago

It would be gorgeous.

• rosie
    15 years ago

Windows put together with metal framing finished black were very common for many decades in California, although sadly they have a little problem meeting our current energy expectations. They're still a wonderful traditional look, though.

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

I'm still curious if you mean interior or exterior windows.

Dark exterior sashes can look very traditional or very contemporary depending on the house - I love the look when it's done well.

I recently did my powder room window in black to tie in with the black beadboard that I did. But I wouldn't want it through my whole house.

• parma42
    15 years ago

I know just what you mean.

There was a poster a while back who showed pics of her bedroom. She had a good start to things and had made the room look quite cozy, so cozy in fact that I didn't recognize it as new construction.

When she was asking for ideas, a few of us (me included)mentioned the possibility of painting her window trim white to match the rest of her molding.

It wasn't until a while later, after I started noticing the look elsewhere, that it dawned on me what was going on. They are even showing it in Lowes catalogues. I haven't seen it in the Chicago area yet.

She must have thought I was a nut case, LOL.

• caminnc
    15 years ago

Here is a nice example of interior black trim. If you are talking about exterior trim, it is being used alot in my area and it's really beautiful!

• parma42
    15 years ago

I think this is what the OP is refering to.

Here is a link that might be useful: This kind of trim?

• teddas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry, I have been away all weekend, and I did want to respond to the other posters. It was the interior of her kitchen dining area. She plans on doing the whole lower floor.
    Caminnc, that is a beautiful look!!

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Parma, thanks for the Lowe's link.

I am considering doing this on my interiors...white mill work and black or very dark gray on the windows themselves. I saw this somewhere and as I consider maximizing views, it occurs to me that white stops the eye, whereas a dark color just disappears.

As an example, think of a garden with a white picket fence vs. and black iron fence. The white stands out and the black disappears into the plantings.

If anyone finds more pics, I'd love to see them. Teddas, can you get any photos to show us?

• ttodd
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness - that picture is stunning!

Amysrg - what a great visual & reference that you provided. Definitely something to think about!

• soshh
    15 years ago

I am doing something similar to the Lowes kitchen in my girls' bathroom. It's being tiled right now!!!

The tiles are all white subways and 6x6, but I had the vanity made in a deep blue-gray color. I decided to pull this color onto the window sash as well, but because I want to keep the room feeling bright I decided to paint the walls and trim a soft, pale gray. I think I will do the ceiling a lighter blue/gray color, possibly silver sage depending on how it looks against the stained glass of the window (mostly deeper blues with some brighter greens.)

I love the way the darker sashes look. I even love that dark trim.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I am doing my own house with a dark chocolate trim (all trim and doors) and our rental is all done in tint de' negre' which is a mix of dark brown and black. I like the rich look...it's so much richer than white, especially with the deep earth tones i love...

{{gwi:1392348}}

• dogridge
    15 years ago

AMysrq-
    what did you decide on your windows? I am interested in doing a similar look- cream trim and a darker color on the actual window sash. Does anyone have any pictures of this?

• amrad
    15 years ago

I was going to paint my window sashes in the kitchen black with natural maple trim, but the contractor convinced me it would be too funky. Thank god I did not do it. I did paint the doors black, as the gumwood (reddish) did not fit with the natural maple trim.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Hi dogridge, I haven't gotten there yet. The house is still being built and now we have contract issues....

Anyway, I think that I will start with one room and see how it feels. I will be doing a bright white trim on the millwork and the windows are primer-only because I didn't like the Pella White they'd have been if we ordered them finished. (Pella White is a very gray white.) So, I have to paint them anyway. I will probably wait until I am in and then mock it up with black paper.

I think in your case (cream trim), I would go with a warm charcoal like Kendall Charcoal (BM HC-166). I may also consider a very dark green that reads black like BM Dark Pewter, or even F&B Carriage Green, for my windows

If you want to chat about specific colors you're considering, feel free to e-mail me or find me here.

• BAILEYQUARLES_HOTMAIL_COM
    13 years ago

We are doing black windows inside and out. The inside will have white trim (I think) and the outside, no trim. I am trying to figure out what color (for the soffets and tapered columns) will go well with dark (red and black...with purple hints) brick and black windows. I think we will have a black or charcoal roof. I need any and all suggestions. Thanks.

• remodelingguy
    12 years ago

I know it's been a couple of years since this thread was started, but the truth is that black is still smokin' hot! Especially on windows and doors. More pictures and some tips are at the link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Window and Door Trim

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus