Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaynes123_gw

Hows this possible? Craziest claim w/photo in online review

jaynes123_gw
9 years ago

Checking basic white economical ceiling fans at online Home Depot. Found promising one - $50, 50+ reviews, 4.3 stars.

Please see:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Clarkston-44-in-White-Ceiling-Fan-CF544H-PEH/203495380

Three 5star complimentary reviews. Then the fourth one from "Disappointed". 1 star, a bizarre claim with photo demonstrating it.

I say claim because how could this even be?

Comments (14)

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

I am not getting that review.

• barbcollins
    9 years ago

That's usually a moisture or humidity problem. That fan's not rated for outdoor use, and while it's not "outdoors" it does look like it's in a sunroom.

I have seen blades droop like this in foreclosures that have been closed up for a while, and there are usually other signs of moisture problems.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Interesting...it looks like it's in a greenhouse...could it be the greenhouse gets so hot that the blades soften enough to sag?

• voila
    9 years ago

Are you talking about the picture with the drooping blades? It looks like it was installed in a screened in porch. If you live in a humid place, like Florida, you must use an outdoor fan outside or the blades will droop like that. I didn't read all the reviews, but another poor review said it did not move the air, while others were pleased with the air movement. I wondered if they had the fan motor reversed? The over all reviews seem to be favorable.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Yes it looks like it is in a greenhouse or Florida room. I think it would be fine and at a great price.

• jaynes123_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Heres the photo of it from buyer after 5 months.

I still wouldnt have thought it possible even with insane humidity. I know at beach humiditys so bad that the tools will rust if not stored inside, sandpaper left in garage eventually can have surface rubbed off with your fingers, humidity can be crazy but couldnt have imagined this - guess its possible.

Still picking fans for the house, this was

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

That pic's not the same fan.

Fifty dollars buys you a CHEAP fan. Period.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Cold weather is evil is correct. That drooping blades is not the same fan as the one advertised. Just look at the housing.

• jaynes123_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I now see the base is different, extended insted of flush - guess i got distracted by .. those freaky drooping blades?!? He must have left review on wrong item.

Ive since googled this and this is a thing! "...How to straighten droopy fan blades...." and photos of otheres.

YIKES - shore humidity is off the charts and will also be buying an outside fan which we've not had before. Been spoiled looking for palm like fans that actually have good reviews, time to focus on ones that wont droop.

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

I live in Miami, and I've never seen fan blades droop like that! Not saying it is impossible-since clearly it isn't-but I"m reporting in from what is probably the hottest/most humid section in the US. And fans are ubiquitous here, inside, on patios, etc. Nope, not once. Not ever.

It is truly bizarre. My theory is the photo's fan must have been made with some kind of pressed board/paper based blades. I still agree though: huh?!?!

Ann

• deegw
    9 years ago

When we moved into our house we took one of the cheap fans from a bedroom and used it to replace a rusted fan on our covered back porch. Within a week or so, it drooped just like the picture. Our summertime humidity is off the charts and apparently the "wood look" blades couldn't handle it.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I have two drooping blade fans on my sunporch. It happens.

• jaynes123_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Graywings,

How does this affect fans when you turn them on

Do you happen to know model / brand.
    I realize it the humidity but no point to consider this when knowing our humiditys crazy.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

As you can see, these fans are on a covered porch and thus subjected to the high humidity of Virginia. They were here when I bought the house five years ago and were probably installed years before that - I don't know who made them. I haven't turned on the fans in years; I only occasionally use the lights.

I'm rehabbing this house and on the loooong list of things to do, one is to find appropriate outside fan blades.