Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firstlastbuild

Mom is making curtains

firstlastbuild
10 years ago

My mom has offered to make me some window treatments. She made some for my bedroom last year - MY3dogs style. I want something different in here though. I will be posting two more pictures. The living room kitchen and dining room are open floor plan with windows across the back. It is difficult to see from the pictures but for some unknown reason the door is one inch lower than the double windows on either side. The door is a Pella door with white blinds in between the glass. The windows are not like that. I have no idea what I was thinking at the time. I need help with window treatment style and pattern. I really do not want to cover up much of the windows because I think my husband would complain incessantly. Thanks for your help!

Comments (11)

• firstlastbuild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a view from the living room into the dining room and kitchen.

• firstlastbuild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a closer look at my living room furniture. We had the black leather furniture when we moved in. It holds up well to life in a household with 4 kids. When we were building the house the interior designer from the paint store said that anything went with black. I'm not totally sure I agree but more furniture is not in budget. The pink table is not really part of the room. These pictures were taken on a dreary January Kentucky day so the lighting is blah.

{{!gwi}}

• firstlastbuild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the picture.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Do you need light control? From the picture, it doesn't look like you need privacy...

I think if you want more light, if you lower the blinds in the door and slant them horizontal, they will almost disappear, as opposed to now with the deep stack at the top.

If you like the blinds, you can add them to the other windows (though obviously in front, not within) and then have mom make a valance for them. You can choose to have a valance made for the doors as well (it looks like they are sliders, not in swing). In the DR bay, I would probably make a single valance that runs across the corners...that's what I did on mine. JC Penney sells rods that go around any corner and they work well. You might want to unite the spaces by selecting a fabric that contains both colors in it ...btw, I think your paint colors are lovely.

Perhaps something like this that will tie in the black as well...
    {{!gwi}}

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

What is your goal for WTs? To soften the wndows?

Very pretty house!

• pps7
    10 years ago

You can do panels and hang them all just under your crown moulding.

• firstlastbuild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I guess my goal is to soften the house and unite the rooms and furniture. I really don't need privacy unless there is a stalker out in the woods. I'm thinking of shorter valances that won't take up too much of the view. We made My3 dogs valances in the bedroom and hung them about 5 inches below the crown. I want a different style for the living/dining area but I'm not sure what.
    Annie, do you have a picture of your single valance that goes around the corner?

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Annie that fabric is gorgeous! Who manufactures it?

• firstlastbuild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also, what do you think about pattern for the curtains? I didn't know about pattern of the fabric because the recliner chair and the living rug both have patterns. I didn't know if I could successfully introduce another pattern in there or if I should go with a stripe?

• firstlastbuild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another floral pattern for curtains or stripes? It seems like I saw an article about the number of patterns in a room and what size - small, medium large. Or maybe I could use valances that had both a pattern and stripes. I just don't know what to pick when I have a pattern on the chair and another pattern on the rug but the couch and recliner are solid black leather and the other chair is solid green. Mom is getting antsy but I am plagued by indecision!

• Laurie
    10 years ago

You have a pretty home!

I would do panels and maybe use a solid or a tone on tone fabric.