Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Library update with Teal sofa!

Posted by pps7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 20:09

Hi all! A few months ago I had asked for ideas for my library. Here's my updated picture:
 photo 8B8C46C1-D461-4AAA-9B84-3D7CB3258D81-2057-000001AD9B4368BC_zpsf4daee6a.jpg

Here's the before:
 photo 6AD4CF2D-CB19-479D-9ECC-9CD75A94ACF1-614-0000005E14C97770_zps8faf5382.jpg

This post was edited by pps7 on Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 15:59

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Library update with Teal sofa!

I LIKE it!

o

Looks wonderful -- warm and charming! :)

o

I love it! I really like the teal and the red together! The chesterfield is the perfect choice for a library too! Kudos for creating such a fresh classic twist.

o

Wow! I love it. How are you feeling? You know, it doesn't look nearly as bright as I was afraid it might from your original posts. I always thought it would work, but it doesn't just work. It rises to the occasion. I think it is a great asset I hope you love it too.

o

I love it, too, and especially love the lamps in the room. Is there any way to scoot the rug toward the sofa so it's closer, if not under it at least a tiny bit? I know you have the chairs centered on it, but think the grouping would look more cohesive with them all on the rug (or at least try it?).

o

That turned out really nice! The teal sofa looks so good with the wall color and the other chairs. Great lamps too!

o

Thanks for encouraging me to go for it! I do love it!! The best part is that it's super comfy- you kind of sink into it. Great for reading ( and falling asleep for a nap).

The wall color is actually different- it's hard to tell in the pics, but it's a slightly lighter color "persimmon". This pic is more accurate with the colors:
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Oly, the rug rug thing was bothering me too. The chairs are centered on a window and so is the rug. I moved the sofa up a bit and will play around with it. Truth of the matter is that the rug is too small but it's too nice to not use.

o

Wow, that rug looks so alive with the new sofa! Great job.

o

Gorgeous! I love the colors together. It is a lovely room.

o

It looks terrific!!!

o

Turn the rug the other direction, long side toward the sofa, with just the front edges of the chairs and couch on the rug.

Beautiful room and great bold choices which give it loads of personality. It was interesting for me to see your answer to the same problem I am facing--shallow bookshelves on either side of a sofa with a need for lighting in front of the bookshelves. Your floor lamps are so open and provide a pleasant change to the other linear elements in the room. Thanks for sharing.

o

The color is brilliant--- unexpected and bold, and fabulous with your walls and the rest of the neutral brown. One of my favorite color schemes is tomato bisque and robins egg blue, and your room is a punched up version of this. It is wonderful!

o

Very nice. The sofa is the perfect size. But speaking of napping on it, when I see the sofa, for some reason, I want to add round bolsters along each arm....

o

Annie, do not fret. The round bolsters are being made as we speak :)

Texasgal, if i turn the rug, the chairs would be off of it. It's not wide enough.

I think the fact that there is no coffee table is contributing to the problem. I'm working on that. There is a can of spray paint with my name on it.

This post was edited by pps7 on Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 9:11

o

Really, really pretty! Love the sofa. You said you sink in, but it looks like it may be firmer and offer more support. If yes, may I ask where you got it?

o

Nosoccermom, the sofa is from Lee Industries. The cushion is their cloud 9. I was so nervous ordering such an expensive piece without trying it out. I was worried that it would be pretty but not deep enough cozy enough to lounge. I wanted comfortable but firm enough to keep it's shape.

o

Thanks so much, pps. I'm actually looking for a sofa that is very firm. DH has back problems and needs some back support. Do they customize the cushions? Sorry for highjacking the thread. It's a gorgeous room, perfect for curling up with a book.

o

Very nice job!

o

You might turn the rug and not have any feet on it except the coffee table.

The "rule" that feet need to be on the rug is meant to be broken...it's all about how it looks in the space.

This article shows examples of all kinds of rug placements that look good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Place area rugs

o

Fabulous ! The colors are so perfect and your art work ties it all together beautifully. I agree with annie...about the rug placement...you are right the colors in the rug are perfect with the room too. Great cohesive style !

I don't want to hijack either but where did you get the leather chairs ? They look so comfy and I am on the lookout for a pair. I found some in our local library but they are 10 yrs old and the company no longer makes them...sigh. Thanks c

o

Ditto on AnnieD's comment regarding rug placement. I'm no interior designer but AnnieD. seems to be giving you sound advice.

o

Love it! I love the warm traditional library feel with the quirky sofa and lamps.

o

I love it too, both the colors and the arrangement. Perfect sofa for that spot.

o

trailrunner, the chairs are whittemore Sherrill. They are 10 years old but looks like they still make them.

Here is a link that might be useful: chair

o

thank you ! We have a store 45 min. from us. that carries that brand. I am going to see if they have it in stock and sit in it :) It looks very comfy. c

o

Just beautiful. The vibe is like a magnet to me. You have great vision!

As for the rug, I love the colors. Would it make you crazy to put it at an angle? I'd center the furniture arrangement on where the sofa is placed. The rug would distract from the fact that the chairs wouldn't be centered on the window.
I like a "sense" of symmetry, but jazzed up with complements rather than mirror images. Worth a try :)

o

I love your room! The colors are great and I agree that the carpet and art pulls it together beautifully. I'm an avid reader and I would spend much time in that room!

o

Perfect, I love that sofa, gorgeous colours.

o

Thank you all for the rug placement suggestions. I moved the sofa up a few inches, the rug back a few inches and the chairs in a few inches to create more intimate seating arrangement. I'm happy with it the way it is for now, I will put the coffee table in first before I play around with it any more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here