Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovechihuahua_gw

Please help me decorating my living room!!

LoveChihuahua
11 years ago

Hello Everyone, I am very frustated and confused. I am trying to decorate my home, room by room. I have made many mistakes trying to do all at once. So this time, I will start with my living room. I'm not real creative, and I am not sure what will look good. The 2 loveseats and tables have to stay. I bought the sofas not long ago, so I have to work with them. I would like to have an inviting, comfortable and casual(with a little elegance added, not sure I can achive that with those sofas.) I was thinking to get an area rug in a cream color and add some green pillows and different picture above sofa? Maybe? I feel that the rug is too busy and I really dont like the picture too much. Please give me your ideas.

http://s1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg605/LoveChihua/

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (39)

• LoveChihuahua
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not sure how to post photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Living Room

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Hover the mouse over the photo and click on the box to the right of "HTML code" to copy. Then paste it in your post as I have done here.

• LoveChihuahua
    Original Author
    11 years ago

• LoveChihuahua
    Original Author
    11 years ago

• LoveChihuahua
    Original Author
    11 years ago

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

First, relax. You are doing fine. The color scheme is coming together nicely. The rug looks fine to me. The picture seems heavy and large for the size of the sofa though the colors are good. A different frame may help, or just replace the picture with something smaller. Regardless art work should always be something you like...if you don't, don't get it.

I think your space needs some filling. I'd like to see a larger table in the corner between the couches and then move the smaller one to the side where the plant is. I'd then add a larger lamp to each table, and then a side chair opposite that corner to complete the conversational grouping. I'd move the plant to the opposite side in front of the window where it would be a lot happier and it would help fill that space. I could also see 2 matching book cases, maybe from IKEA... in the corners of the picture wall. That would fill the space nicely.

You're doing fine...just keep it going...

Add a couple of throw pillows to the couches...maybe a solid color and you are well on your way.

• mjlb
    11 years ago

I would ask you first whether you are attracted to the colors in your rug. If you are, then I'd pull colors out of the rug for the rest of the room. If you don't like your rug colors, do you like your drape color? On my monitor, the rug colors are more subtle and the drape color is more clear. Whatever their color, the drapes would look better with more volume.

The artwork color is really bright. Since you're not fond of it, you might try rotating it 90 degrees, to make it more abstract. You could also paint or glaze the interior portion of the frame a lighter color to act as a sort of border around the art, since IMO the frame is too wide for the piece.

Try both pillows on the same sofa, away from the art. I concur with Annie re: table/plant re-arrangement, and I'd look for a nice large ottoman instead of coffee table. Even with the ottoman, you would still have room for a small scale chair in the corner where the plant is now -- maybe something woven, wood, or metal as a contrast to the upholstered items.

Even though I like your rug, I think a much larger rug, extending to about where the piano is would make the room look much larger. Currently there is an obvious pathway between the seating area and the piano, but a rug would link the two and make the room more cohesive. Unfortunately, probably big money for a rug that size.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I like your space so far. The two love seats do seem a bit small for the space, but you can work with them. I agree with Annie's ideas.
    I would add a chair in a small print with the red color.

• noodlesportland
    11 years ago

You are on track. I like the love seats. Things are just not in scale--A much much bigger plant and a much larger lamp and 4 pillows...
    Overall a great start!

• judithn
    11 years ago

Love the wall color. The big thing here is the size of the rug. It really looks small for the room. Love the colors but too much floor is showing. The eye naturally uses the rug to define the space of the room, if it's too small the room seems smaller. Ideally, you get one that only leaves about a foot of hardwood showing around the perimeter of the room. Up to 2 is even okay because furniture can be positioned to cover it. So...horrible as it may be to hear, Is there another room in the house that needs a rug? Maybe you can repurpose it.

Also, How high are your ceilings? The loveseats look very low as well as too narrow. Is there a place where you could move 1 of the loveseats and then get a different sofa to put along the long wall? You can have 2 different sofas in a room. Maybe one loveseat can go in a bedroom?

The colors and style are fine and again, the wall color is great and I like the rug pattern and colors. Just need to work on size.

• k9arlene
    11 years ago

Not sure if it'll fit, but what if you were to move the one loveseat back more toward the window. Move the other one facing it and get a sofa for the long wall that the one loveseat now sits on.

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

You're being too hard on yourself! Your room is very pretty! The colors are especially nice.

I agree about a larger lamp and plant.

• girlville
    11 years ago

The room has very nice light and I really enjoy the reflective quality of your drapery. One thing though I notice the volume on them is insufficient, if you could acquire more panels and bulk them up a little they would really add necessary weight.

The other thing that I note are the two identical loveseats. I like the cut and colour of them, but I always see loveseats as a bit impractical because they take up real estate but generally only offer a single seat (few people are intimate enough to share a loveseat). You should diversify the seating styles. Use the rug as an anchor if you like it, since it does work with your drapery.

The scale is a bit off on the art (as compareed to the seat beneath it) but I like it, it's vibrant. I think it's more a matter of rearranging and adding a bit of additional seating and accessories. You have the polished showroom look, so why not emulate something like this:

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I also think your rug is too small, but the pattern & colors are what makes the room comfortable looking.

A cream colored rug & sofas aren't very inviting. But I'm big on pattern and colors in a room. The more the merrier!

I haven't read all the replies, but I think changing the lampshade from cream to another color would help.

If you use the room a lot, I would add another lamp and table in the corner where the plant is. A unique or antique style table, not a table that matches what you already have.

You have a nice room there!

• camlan
    11 years ago

Also, consider putting that plant on a plant stand to raise it up a bit, or replace it with a taller plant, like a tree.

And what's that hiding behind the table in the corner? Is it some sort of musical instrument? I'd hang it on the wall, instead of hiding it, or find a stand for it and let it become part of the room decor when it isn't being used.

• erinsean
    11 years ago

I like your room very much but something is off on the drape color....maybe something darker but not green. Otherwise I agree with other posters....bigger plant, another table, taller lamps, another chair etc.

• deeinohio
    11 years ago

If you can still get more of your window panels, I would add 2 more to your smaller window and at least 2 more to your larger window (maybe 4) to give you the feeling of elegant lushness.

I would also think about adding one oversized accessory,like a large pottery bowl, to your coffee table rather than the smaller ones you have, and a larger lamp to your side table

Think, too, about adding something to that side of the room which reflects you. Right now, the room (other than your personal photos over the piano) could be located in any furniture showroom. Maybe a framed piece of art by your child or grandchild (don't know how old you are), something sentimental, a seashell...something meaningful to you.

• bonnieann925
    11 years ago

The rug may need to go, but before deciding that maybe you could try to pull it out from under the loveseats and center it in the conversation area. The picure, while lovely, is too large for that space.

LoriBee has a very similar size room and has it set up as a cozy sitting room. Like yours, it's open to her DR. Maybe she'll see this and post a pic. You could do a search for her room to give you an idea of what she did to work with that space.

Maybe consider adding a floor lamp to the right of the loveseat where there currently is no lighing.

Most of all have fun with the room. It's the first room people will see when you open your door so it should reflect you and your interests.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I like the wall color too! What color is it?

• yayagal
    11 years ago

How about this for inspiration?

Here is a link that might be useful: living room

• LoveChihuahua
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for all the wonderful suggestions! I have been thinking about each of your suggestions and I think I will start with a larger area rug (neutral). I am a bit tired of the red area rug, it has been with me for a long time. The picture will be removed to my dining room for a while. I will be looking for a larger table to put between the two sofas and I will move the other table to the right. I will try to find two larger lamps. Also, I would like to find a nice accent chair with a pattern, maybe at Pier One or Home Goods. Once I have the accent chair, we can see what color of drapes and accessories are needed. Hopefully the chair has some green like the drapes. I will put pictures when I get the rug and table. You all have made me feel like I have hope with my living room.
    The room is a bit over 15�X15�. Would a 12X12 rug be ok?

• hlove
    11 years ago

I agree about adding more curtain panels to each window. I also agree with moving the loveseat back closer to the window, so the rug lays under a small portion....maybe just a few inches back from the front legs. It will help the rug feel like it fits the room better. Definitely something more substantial to beef up the corner between the loveseats. I really like the colors, myself!

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Pardon my posting, I guess the wrong item ccp'd.

• annkathryn
    11 years ago

I really like your loveseats. Can you tell me where you purchased them?

Also have you considered having them face each other, centered on the rug with the round coffee table in between?

• LoveChihuahua
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I bought them at Belfort furniture Annkathryn. I did think about facing them each other, but then what could i do with the large wall?

• crystaljom
    11 years ago

Hi, I think your carpet is pretty, you just need to change the curtain to be white, and use the table cloth and table runner to decorate the table. Then use pretty sofa cover and cushion cover.Not that plain one.Maybe you can look at this webstore, very pretty home decor, hope can help you. http://www.victoriasdeco.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: victoriasdeco

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Crystaljom....stop spammin' up the joint!

• slflaherty
    11 years ago

I honestly think everything you have in the room is fine, but the way the furniture is arranged makes the room look small because everything is in one corner. I would like to see the loveseats pulled out from the wall, maybe facing each other as someone else has suggested. The artwork on the wall then won't look so out of scale because it wouldn't be directly above the loveseat, which makes it look larger by comparison.

What do you use this room for? Is there a t.v. in the room? Perhaps knowing the function of the room, we'll be able to help you with the arrangement of the furniture.

• LoveChihuahua
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There is not tv in this room. This is my Living Room.

• LoveChihuahua
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also if I face each sofa what would I put on the large wall?

• loribee
    11 years ago

You have pretty things to work with, Love.
    If you find a seagrass or neutral type rug, a pretty patterned chair would look so charming!
    You can accent with patterned throw pillows as well.
    Do you have something that could be used for a focal point? Maybe your piano??
    As "Bannie" mentioned, I have a similar room and used a faux FP as the focal point. Then I added a round mirror and small sconces.
    Excuse my old pix, but hopefully they will help you. This will be such a fun project for you!!

• slflaherty
    11 years ago

See the link I attached at the bottom of this post. I was thinking something like that long console-type table against the wall where your artwork is now. You could keep the artwork above it (make sure the table is longer than the width of the artwork though, to keep it in proportion). Then you would just have to dress up the table with a lamp and some accessories. If you were really brave, you could wallpaper that wall to make it more of a focal point.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• User
    11 years ago

It's coming along nicely! However, I would remove that branch or whatever from the wall between the curtain panels. It doesn't add anything but visual clutter, imo.

• bleigh
    11 years ago

I would love to see the loveseats facing each other and add a few more throw pillows. On the wall, you could place a console table, small buffet or a small armoire. Possibly could do an upholstered bench there as well. You need a more substantial lamp too. Agree that the window treatments need to be a bit more substantial. I think your colors are really nice and you're not far from having a great space.

• LoveChihuahua
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh LoriBee, what a beautiful room! I am going to find a neutral area rug and I will start from there. Thank you again to everyone for so many great ideas. Next week, I will be on summer vacation and will have time to decorate this room. Then I will move to the next room, hehe.

• LoveChihuahua
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will also look for an accent chair with some nice colors.

• loribee
    11 years ago

Enjoy your vacation and make sure that you stop by and give us updates. :)

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Here's a nice slipper chair that would work well in your new plan.

Here is a link that might be useful: accent chair

• amitjha
    11 years ago

You should brighten up the room a little with the appropriate curtains and cushion covers. You can also add some large wooden vases and get some Garden Pots and get some indoor plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Online India Shopping