Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jj1150

Front & Other Exterior Doors

Jody
13 years ago

I need to repaint my front door (it is full multi-pane with an arched top). I am thinking a Reddish Orange.

Question: I have 3 other exterior doors (none facing front), should I paint them the SAME COLOR as the front door; or just white like the trim.

Our home is a little over 100 years old and in the past I have painted ALL the doors the same color (plus the garage side door and shed door).

So, what does everyone else do??? And if you don't use the front door color, do you use the trim color or the house color???

Thanks for any suggestions :)

Comments (10)

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    13 years ago

My front door is painted to enhance the appearance of the front of the home, but my kitchen and family room exterior doors are more utilitarian and so kept white like the trim.
    I think it depends some what on how your house is laid out- for mine it just wouldn't feel right to have my secondary doors as formal as the front.

• Jody
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Anele .... the house is a taupe color with white trim and i want to paint the doors the reddish-orange (not a true red; more on the *happier* side of red!!).

IF I knew how to post a picture I would. I'm sure it's complicated and I'd need help from my son.

Cearbhaill ... I'm thinking I might paint all the doors the reddish-orange. Right now I am driving myself crazy *trying* to find the *right* color. LOL. My unattached garage and shed, both those doors face the street side, so I'm thinking maybe a little color would be good :)

• powermuffin
    13 years ago

If you want the other doors to be a focal point for their side of the house, then paint them the same as the front door. If you don't want them to be a focal point paint them the siding color or the trim color.
    Diane

• segbrown
    13 years ago

I have doors like that. .. three are red, one is white. This photo is during construction last summer, I don't have any better ones yet. The front and side door from garage are also red, the french are the only white ones. I'm not sure why we did it that way, lol, but you can decide if you like it or not ...

• Jody
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys for your input. I guess there is no right or wrong way to do these doors .... so I'm thinking I will paint ALL of them the reddish-orange (when I find the *perfect* color) LOL .... Trying to find a paint color sometimes drives me crazy!!

• lulabellesview
    13 years ago

I think it's personal preference based upon the way your home is designed. We painted the front doors an accent color:

and then decided to paint the side door to the garage the accent color too. It's visible when using the walkway to the patio so it needed a little pizazz.

And just for fun, we painted the shed door an even different color.

What you've done so far looks great!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Come see what we've been up to in our home and garden.

• lulabellesview
    13 years ago

Whoops! Here's a link that works:

Here is a link that might be useful: Our home and garden

• hillicoss
    8 years ago

Can I ask, what color was used in the front door? Love it!

• bisonmf10
    8 years ago

What color is the exterior of the house?