Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celticmoon_gw

Help me design a pair of sofas

celticmoon
9 years ago

I am about to upholster two Lee sofas, short (72") and medium (86"), Each has a very deep (27") single bench cushion, low back and rolled arms. Think chesterfield without the tufting. I need help figuring out the back pillow arrangement.

The bodies will be done in a very narrow striped chenille: cranberry, gold and a little sage. It reads bronze brown. Not trendy, but works with the rest of the 80's house and our lifestyle. The room has cranberry and espresso leather chairs, stone fireplace fa�ade, and espresso wood built-ins. Paint, carpeting and drapery are all the same light neutral (walls are SW rice grain).

questions:

Welt or no welt? I was thinking the stripe on the bias would add something... too much?

Back pillows: fitted or jumble? I was thinking jumble since DH, kids and dogs will toss them around anyways.

Size mix: I am lost here.

Fabric mix: The upscale fabric shop suggested mixing an ikat & suzani to freshen the look. I hate the idea of time stamping the pillows to, what, 2012? I must say the colors are gorgeous and tie everything together. They had a nubby neutral remnant, so I grabbed that for a potential solid. See pix for the stone, wall color, remnant & chenille.

So,,, what say you to welt, twisted welt, pillow size mix, and using these patterns?

Comments (8)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Do you have a picture of the style of sofa?

If it is a transitional skewing modern sofa I would say no welt.

Remember that the fabric cover on a large single cushion will tend to "roll" a bit, because the cushion is basically a large flattened tube.

Fitting, matching pillows. You can always get the complementary fabrics in throw pillows.

Unless--you are channeling the late 80s-90s look. I knew several people in the late 80s (and myself in 92) who had sofas with loose "toss pillow" backs in contrasting fabrics. The fabrics may be fresh, but it's a recycle of a look from a couple of decades ago...maybe one whose time is coming again. But I think you'll get more mileage out of a sofa done in one fabric, keeping the accents to throw pillows that can be easily changed out.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Actually, the ikat/flamestitch is channeling an 80s look, too.

My parents' LR sofa was recovered in 1987 in a different colorway of that same style of flamestitch. (Still is, and I think it's great fabric, personally).

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much, Pal. I really have no sense of what era I am channeling in making these choices.

Here's a shot of the sofas. They are clean and very solid, albeit with faded and dated fabric. Pattern reminds me of cross stitch.

Bench cushions do have a welt. Sofas look the type to have had loose pillow backs, yes? Or maybe fitted box with welt that got separated?

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I could layer the chenille, then the neutral, then the ikat/flame in a lumbar. I know they won't stay "in order" long though, so I was thinking the jumble might be better.

Oh, and there will be new feet. Shape thoughts?

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah I get that my project pieces are not track- armed and sleek like what I just posted.

• clt3
    9 years ago

A cushion with a welt will wear better. I'd do fitted back cushions in the same fabric and accent pillows in the ikat and suzani. Those would be much easier to change should you get tired of them. You could really do anything for the legs. Pick something that complements the style of other legs in the room.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I would do short block feet the same width of the front of the arm.

If you could make the seat cushion slightly thinner and still comfortable, you might consider it since the back is so low.

I would probably do 3 box cushions on the sofa, two on the love seat.

A welt and wearability really counts on a number of factors. Sometimes a smooth seam wears better than a welt which sticks up and gets abraded. A dimensional fabric sometimes gets kind of ridge-y on a welt and the high spots wear.

This set probably had square knife edged back pillows, something like 6-7 on the sofa 4-5 on the loveseat, tilted at an angle and karate chopped.

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. This is progress.

Pal, you suggest box cushions for the backs, 3 for the longer and 2 for the shorter. I really like the elongated 2-3-2 layered look of the track arm I posted starting with two back cushions, and the seat depth would work. BUT... how then would I treat the second shorter sofa: 1, 2, 1? Also, repeating on a second piece seems contrived. And, seriously, that precise layering would be demolished in minutes here anyway. Good looking, but a bad idea given the pair and our lifestyle. So Pal, as always, you are right.

OK, so I start with 3 & 2 fitted box back cushions maybe 4 inches taller than the backs of the pieces. And I'd make those in a foam/Dacron so they keep shape without constant plumping. That type insert I suspect needs a box rather than knife edge anyway. And since the arms are rounded, maybe a single centered welt and rounded corners (rather than the 'ears' that marry the track arm so well in the pic). The pillows can be in a squishier down mix, and some can be large..

The seat is very, very deep and can easily take three layers: back cushion and multiple pillows. Still need to decide pillow number, size and pattern mix.

I'm going to look for more sofa pix...