Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncamy_gw

Master bedroom furniture placement...need advice quick!

ncamy
15 years ago

After 25 years of sleeping on a double bed we had decided to upgrade to a queen. Now we are looking at a KING! When we started playing around with the furniture layout we were having trouble including the desired sitting area along with a good spot for the TV. So it hit me that perhaps if we had a king size bed then we could put two club chairs at the foot of the bed. To accommodate this we eliminated a chest of drawers and are considering a tall bureau with 12 drawers instead of a regular double dresser. We'll hang a flat screen over it in lieu of a mirror. The bed and bureau we are leaning toward is the McCoy from Simply Amish. All along I was in search of a simple panel bed in solid wood so this seems to fit the bill. The headboard is 50 inches tall to allow the windows to run above the bed. We have some large pieces of original artwork that can fill the empty walls where there's not enough space for furniture. The house (new construction) will be a craftsman style bungalow with medium dark wood trim, doors and hardwood floors.

So what do you think of the furniture placement? Will it work? Is it too much bed or just right? (Please note that the drawing is not to scale and I couldn't get it to scan. The egress windows are not drawn in the proper spot but I still think you can get a good idea of the layout of the room.)

Another reason for the urgent request is that I just went to see an almost new king size mattress set today that was listed on craigslist for $500. It is a Westin Heavenly Bed mattress, not exactly the one I would have picked if I was buying new and money no object, but nonetheless a great deal on a decent bed. Plus we only have three weeks before we'll be sleeping on the floor if I don't find something. LOL

Comments (9)

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

You said your drawing wasn't to scale, but the first thing that confuses the issue is the dimensions you show for the king size bed. The Heavenly bed king size dimensions are either 76"x 80" or for the California King, 72"x 84". On your drawing you show 92"x 82.5" for the area for the king bed....what do you mean by this??? Since that's about 20" unclear, it would make a big difference in suitable room. Please clarify!

• ncamy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Those were the dimensions of the bed not the mattress. The numbers came straight off the Simply Amish site for the regular (not California) King size bed in the McCoy style. The headboard and footboard slant out at the bottom and have a slight mantel that extends above the panels. I hope that helps. It is shown on page 66 of their online catalogue.

http://simplyamish.dirxion.com/Main.asp

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

That style of bed frame should look lovely in your Craftsman bungalow, and your furniture arrangement seems workable, provided that you can find chairs that aren't too bulky looking.

Your biggest thrill will be having all the space of a king sized bed after 25 years in a double...!! Would love to see photos when you get it all done!

• yayagal
    15 years ago

You've made a very pleasing arrangement. Go get the king size bed, they're heavenly. It looks to me that you are spot on in doing things right.

• funkyart
    15 years ago

I love the arrangement. The only thing that concerns me here is the viewing angle for the tv .. it should be fine when laying in bed but it will be pretty high from the club chairs that are just 4 ft' away. How tall is the 12 drawer bureau?

• ncamy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The bureau is 48 inches high so the TV will be approximately 5.5- 6 feet away...kinda close, eh? In fact we were just discussing what size TV we should have. Thinking maybe 36-40 inch. What do you think?

• rucnmom
    15 years ago

No suggestions re layout but just wanted to say my friend's Simply Amish bedroom furniture arrived about a month ago. She loves it -- very well-constucted. I will admit I did need to be reminded to breathe when she said paid $12K for it!

• neesie
    15 years ago

I have a very similar arrangement in my master bedroom. Although I do have the high dresser, I do not put my tv on it. I have never liked having the tv at the foot of the bed. I have it on the wall (which yours is blank except for the small closet) on a small chest of drawers.

Here is a link that might be useful: placement of tv

• kswl2
    15 years ago

I think your furniture placement will be all right, ncamy. I suggest a few things:

1. get slightly smaller club chairs than the current "overstuffed" size. (I've always wondered who that furniture is for, as you can only actually sit in the space provided and the arms and back don't add to one's comfort!)

2. Get chairs that swivel, so you can move them to and fro according to the light in the room, and

3. put one ottoman between the two chairs. You can face each other and use the single ottoman and still watch the screen, or you can put a tray on the ottoman and use it as a side table for the two chairs.