Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brightm

Have doors installed unfinished, or pre-painted?

brightm
9 years ago

We've ordered new doors: front, side and back. The side and back have one light, the front door has three square lights. When we ordered the doors (with our windows) they asked if we wanted them stained, painted, or unfinished. They talked up the guy who does their finishing quite a bit. I decided, since I didn't know when we'd be painting the house, to go ahead and have their finisher paint them.

The front door took forever to come in. Then, I've taken forever to pick paint colors. I finally emailed the finisher the colors I wanted, and he responded that they'd been priced for one color only, not two (one interior/one exterior). I need to call the window company and find out what they're going to charge me for him to finish the doors. They already owe me a bit of a refund for something else. And they said they'd refund the paint money if it turned out we didn't want him to do them.

It turns out we're getting the exterior of our house painted shortly, and will probably be painting the interior of the kitchen ASAP. The dining room and entry hall, we weren't planning on painting now, but if the door contrasts the existing trim, I can deal or at least paint the trim.

Should I just have them hang the doors unfinished and have them painted in the course of painting the house?

With painted doors, it would be normal to have the interior match the interior and the exterior be an accent color on the exterior, right?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x