Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIY ideas for fireplace surround?

Posted by jenniferPA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 19:29

Our fireplace surround in this photo is some sort of faux slate. It collects dust and I've spent hours with a scrub brush trying to get it all out - still looks terrible. It's a gas fireplace.

I am thinking of tiling over it, although I've never done such a project. Any ideas or tips for a DIY fix?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIY ideas for fireplace surround?

Do you like the slatey grey color? I do. I think tiling it with a natural slate tile would be pretty nice. Do rent a tile saw (or buy one if they're on sale--sometimes it's the same price).

If it's possible to temporarily remove the mantle trim before tiling, the job will be easier, but even if you can't, it's not too bad a job to DIY. You cut everything before you start to stick it down so you'll know if you can do it before you mess up what you already have.

o

We got this stone from lowes, it is inexpensive and easy DIY. Lowes will make the cuts for you and we glued it on with heavy duty construction adhesive, no grouting. Took us a couple hours with our borrowed tile saw. They have one with grey instead of the gold and cream that we used that might be perfect and you could keep the floor slate. I would go over the top of the slate if it where me doing the work and not take off the old slate. We applied the stone after the mantle was installed and painted. They also have other styles that you might like.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=354393-93840-20-616&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3477519&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=354383-93840-20-626&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3362742&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Photobucket

o

rtwilliams, you have a lovely room and beautiful DIY fireplace surround! And, since I have two of them, I have to comment on the darling Westie, too! He/she blends in beautifully with the decor!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here