Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have we seen these birds before?

Posted by donnagwd (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 18:54

This particular work was discussed here several weeks ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Curbed Flights of Fancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have we seen these birds before?

Walton Ford titled Malmaison..

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.artcritical.com/DavidCohen/SUN-2008/0522.htm

o

I tried to read the critic's article. I really did. Somewhere around "The art world that prizes these men�s work is a self-consciously cutting edge milieu" (2nd sentence), I realized we were on different planets.

o

LOL @ Beth. I think he lives on the planet Pretentious.

o

Ford is trying to convey a sense of outrage and irony, he is a young artist painting in the Audubon style presenting an underlying message. His technical skill combined with purpose makes him understandably a desired artist and to me, worth the attention.
Is it sofa art, not for most people! I like the most passe of art: flowers and landscapes but I do "get" his intentions.
(make lots of money. sorry!) Classic art style of an icon + environmental cause + irony = attention

I would hang a piece of his art in my house and enjoy studying it.

o

Audubon with a twisted sense of humor? Love it!

o

I like his work, and it is not really more violent than Audubon in a lot of cases. The difference is that the Audubon subjects are placed in their natural habitats but the Ford's seem to suggest absent human presence or intervention--like the birds fighting on this manicured lawn.

I think that for an artist to get beyond the stage of technical skill and into the realm of "art to talk about", there has to be a strong underlying personality. There are many talented technicians out there who can make technically superior paintings but without some kind of emotional or evocative content, it may not have much else going for it.

o

"I'm amazed how the feathers of the dying bird match the couch." There's a happy thought!

o

Maybe it is just a joke.

o

Sorry if I was misunderstood. The site I linked is a humor quip similar to that found on "Catalog Living" but using shelter magazine photos to illustrate the lives of the imaginary Martin and Gareth. (Catalog Living features the imaginary Gary and Elaine using catalog photos.)

The pictured farmhouse from Architectural Digest was discussed here several weeks ago but I can't find the original posting. The link to the Architectural Digest slide show is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Architectural Digest Farmhouse

o

Here...

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0513060013216.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here