Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
osugirl_gw

Help me find an alternative to these giclee prints?

osugirl
9 years ago

I saw these in the store and really want them, but can't justify spending $640 (plus tax) on mass-produced art.

Any ideas on where I can get a similar look for less?

Here is a link that might be useful: Framed Giclee Prints

Comments (16)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Check ebay, sold directly by artists.

• edeevee
    9 years ago

You could try ebay or craigslist or ... you could take a watercolor class and try to create something similar yourself! The paintings you like so much appear to use basic techniques that you would learn in a beginner's class. By the time you paid for the class, supplies and framing you might still be close to $640 but you would have very personal works of art, a new skill, and a great story to tell ;)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Those are not paintings-it says they are framed giclee prints. That means they are made on a copier. Seriously!
    If you could find a large book with pictures of art you like, you could copy your own! Some people are making huge sums selling these and you are getting cheated. It is an "Emperor has no clothes" sort of thing.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Oh, and I would hit a local art fair/street fair or art co-op/school. You can often find art you like there for much much less. One of my favorite pieces is a small water color I bought for $25 at an art fair when I was in college (more than 40 years ago!).

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

Try antique/vintage stores and estate sales. The prices often don't cover the cost of framing.

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

What appeals to you about these prints? The fact that they are a group of four? That they are landscapes? The colors? That they are watercolors?

Did you try Marshalls or Home Goods?

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Search Flickr or Smugmug, tons of photographers that have great image and would love to sell. Some will work with you to edit to better match your vision

• AlyB
    9 years ago

Etsy is also a great source for original art

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Or you can take your own pics, run them through waterlogue and create your own water color looks....I have a lot of fun with waterlogue, thanks to people here who recommended it.

Original

Waterlogued

• jackson2348
    9 years ago

Annie I was just going to suggest waterlouge! I love it, and there are different filters.

Took this one of dd performing and had it printed on canvas for her. Looked great.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Cool. How do you do this? Iphone, then app, then email it???

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

forboystoo started a thread on it...talks about pc apps available too...

Here is a link that might be useful: waterlogue

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Up above, williamsem commented "I wonder if that should be the official slogan "GW...if it can be done, someone here has done it".... That's what I think about this thread - if it's out there, GW knows about it!

• chloenkitty
    9 years ago

I second etsy! Find someone on there who does similar work, send them the pics!

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I third etsy or your local outdoor art fair or gallery walk. If you do want a print/giclee, you might search Gallery Direct (or similar shops) to find the print. I wanted a specific type of art poster and I found it there. They have a pretty broad choice of frames as well, but their matting is more limited than Michael's, Aaron Brothers or art.com

This post was edited by gooster on Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 17:17

• osugirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Your suggestions were amazing! I got busy with other stuff, but finally got my butt in gear and I'm having someone local paint a custom piece for over the bed. I found a frame with ugly, damaged art at an antique store.

We're taking a fall trip to New England next month, so I'm hoping to take some great photos and then use waterlogue.

Thanks again!