Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gracy101

No idea what to do with this lamp, need help!

gracy101
9 years ago

This is my redecorated "in progress" living room. The issue is the WE Abacus floor lamp which I love love love (and cannot return at this point!) I have to make it work. I've tried several choices of lamps on the end table to get the shades to the right height but I have to stack them too high and it looks awkward.

I'm at the point where I think I should just use one lamp along the sofa wall and forget flanking the sofa with a lamp. Tried the floor lamp on the other side of the sofa too and it looked too big.

What would you do on the end table to the right of the sofa if NOT a lamp?

Help please?

Comments (10)

• gracy101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another perspective which might help.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Have you tried the floor lamp over by the chairs? It might seem less prominent if floating in the room instead of being tucked into a corner. It's really a pretty lamp! Not sure it will work with the round table, but experiment with the tables you have and see what you think. Then you could flank the sofa with table lamps.
    ETA: I meant to add that it's not only a pretty lamp, but a lovely room!

This post was edited by olychick on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 19:15

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

It really is a lovely room. The rug ties everything together so beautifully. Do you need a lamp on the table? I know I would because we are readers and always have a book, kindle, ipad or laptop so task lighting is critical.

I love the round table between the two chairs and the lamp serves the two chairs well. If that lamp and the floor lamp provides enough lighting for you I would buy a beautiful faux floral bouquet or fresh flowers in a vase for the end table. Buy one high enough that you can still display your pictures in front of it. Maybe place the vase on a stack of books for more height.

Here is a link that might be useful: I love this one

• gracy101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another perspective which might help.

{{!gwi}}

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Can you try the floor lamp behind the round table? Move the lamp from the round over to the drop leaf.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Perhaps try a switch:

Move the chairs to the wall side -- and place the tall lamp and square table between them. If the lamp is featured against the wall (and add a matching artwork above each chair)

Then the sofa will float on the opposite side with the round table and the table lamp by the wall .....

Just a thought!

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I'll add two more suggestions for you to try. It appears to me as if the sofa and chairs are a bit far apart. I would try pulling the sofa out from the wall and then moving the floor lamp back towards the wall and just a bit behind the sofa into that corner. The light would still shine over the shoulder of the person sitting on that end of the sofa. This positioning would also allow you to move the sofa slightly towards the window wall which would give the end table a bit more breathing room.

My other suggestion is similar to my first one, but besides pulling the sofa out from the wall, I would angle it slightly so that the end table side is closest to the wall, but the lamp side is even more out into the room. In that scenario, I would probably put the floor lamp in the corner completely behind the sofa. Your rug and chairs could be rotated to maintain their parallel relationship with the sofa.

I don't think you need a lamp on the side table by the sofa. If you must have one there for functionality, consider getting a completely different style so that you don't have to worry about shade height. I'm thinking something like this style.

{{!gwi}}

• Bunny
    9 years ago

That's a cool lamp, but I think it wants to be the star of the room. It demands to be noticed. I think needs to be in a more prominent position.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Agree with linelle. It's like a piece of sculpture and shouldn't be squeezed in a corner. I'd just switch it to the other side of the sofa. I think it needs to be beside the sofa, not the chairs.

I have the same large window, two chairs with a round table between them, and a sofa. My chairs are in front of the window with the sofa opposite. That arrangement will also move the lamp out of the corner, though it may place it too far from a plug.

• seww
    9 years ago

The lampshade on the floor lamp is enormous and overtakes the space. Have you gone to a lighting store and tried different shades?
    Sue

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz