Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

ISO Indonesian Style daybed

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

I rather dislike daybeds, as they always seem like a compromise. But then, life is full of those.

There is a small bedroom off the kitchen in our beachhouse that the PO called the "maid's room". It will probably be used as a de facto mudroom and dog room most of the time (having a captive bath and being right off the backdoor and kitchen). However, it makes sense to have a daybed for overflow guests.

I am intent on finding one that is very open (on the side and below) and hence feels less daybed-esque. I really like this from World Market, but it is sold out. Has anyone seen anything similar?

TIA

Comments (37)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

See link

Here is a link that might be useful: Daybed benches

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

There are quite a few. Google teak daybeds.

• jackson2348
    9 years ago

This just popped up on one kings Lane. It's got similar lines and color.

Here is a link that might be useful: OKL daybed

• Sujafr
    9 years ago

You might try checking your craigslist. We recently found the one you pictured on our CL, including a mattress and lots of throw pillows. It was someone who had moved and no longer had space for it. I'd been considering buying the world market one so it was perfect. Good luck with your search.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone.

Teak ones, usually made for the outdoors, are $2500 and up. Not necessary for the maid's room in a second home.

CL - I'm not that lucky; this is new-ish, and has been very popular in blogs and mags

I was all excited and bought the OKL one, even though it i was 3 times as much as the WM version.

But I just cancelled it --- the OKL, oddly enough, falls just a few inches short of fitting a twin mattress. IMHO, that is not a daybed. The WM is large and fits a standard twin ... just fyi

• always1stepbehind
    9 years ago

Do you have World Market stores near you? The ones around my area carry them at the store.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Always,
    Yes, I have tried that. The closest store to the NY metro appears to be.... DC?
    Anyway, trying to see if they have any in stores.
    Thanks!

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Or, do you have a Nadeau store near you? (link below to see locations)

The Chicago store regularly puts pics of their recent shipment on photobucket - not sure if other store do something similar. I often call them to get dimensions and price when I'm looking for something and see a photo that interests me. Here are their recent pics

http://s170.photobucket.com/user/nadeauchi/library/?sort=3&page=1

Here is a link that might be useful: Nadeau

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

You know, if you can find it in a World Market store, it can be shipped for a reasonable amount of money. I once did that with Fedex (?) with a PB console table for something like 50.00 from Manhattan to DC.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'd be up for that ... Or we'd even go get it. Now that schools out, we might make a trip of it .. Catch a game at Camden yards ... It's just a pain having to call around

• louislinus
    9 years ago

Call a WM store and have them check all the stores for you (or an 800 customer service number). I've had luck doing that at Anthropologie and Hanna Andersson.

• Sujafr
    9 years ago

I don't know how far this is for you, and the price is up there, but here's one on new york craigslist at Rockaway Beach at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craigslist Indonesian Day Bed

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Suja -- that looks like it. Oddly it seems to be listed at a profit over full retail. That's an interesting strategy for CL!

I did find one in a store outside of DC, but they won't ship it so I need to figure that part out.

BTW, for those of us in the NY Metro wondering, like me, how they can have 260 stores but ignore us, they are coming to No NJ soon. Still a hike but better than DC for sure.

• Sujafr
    9 years ago

About the CL one posted at $800--it would depend for me on how much I wanted that style and whether I could get it elsewhere. Then I'd ask the CL poster for a picture of the actual daybed they have, since I just realized they used the picture from the world market website. If they were close enough to me, I'd figure out what I would think reasonable for a slightly used one with the mattress, 3 daybed covers they say they have, and their pillows and offer that lower amount--they can only say no. I suspect you'd have to actually be there with money in hand though for them to consider a significantly lower offer---thus the pain of finding a CL item that's 2 hrs or more away.

I don't usually have a great deal of luck with CL--or even look often, but surprisingly the daybed I bought posted a picture that looked almost as nice as the world market website one, and it did truly look new when we went to see it--some pillows still had the price tags on them. That's why when I saw that picture the NY posting showed, it didn't immediately hit me that they'd used the world market photo instead of their own. I hope you find this one locally, but am also sure based on all the other interesting decor you have, that you'll find the perfect item if the stores don't have this.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Suja. I too noticed the photos were from a the retailer site. I contacted them for the heck of it, but it's moot --- sold.

The WM store that has it has been very odd to deal with. They will not ship it; ok, i get that. But they also wont' take my card number and let me buy it over the phone. Still working on logistics. Bizarre-o.

• Sujafr
    9 years ago

That's an interesting policy--not to do phone orders or purchases. I asked my local WM, and they said the same thing. Well good luck with it. My store says they'll get more in at the end of June, and if I want one held for me I can get a rain check by paying 25% down.

• michellekn
    9 years ago

Check out the window daybed by West Elm.

http://www.westelm.com/products/window-daybed-g093/

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I know this is not what you're looking for, but this is a cool option for possible guest use - can be a bed for one or two and has that "beachy" look:

Includes mattress and pillows. Drawers are not attached and could be removed.

Here is a link that might be useful: ikea daybed - painted birch

• polly929
    9 years ago

I have that daybed. It was sold out a while back when I wanted to order it, and then it came back in stock and I ordered it. Will WM restock it?

I have to say, for such an inexpensive bed, it's pretty decent quality. I love it.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

I like the west elm one posted above.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

GrandinRoad.com has the World Market daybed you posted, but looks like darker finish. $499. Cushion Set $299. Catalog says free shipping even on over-sized items in the catalog, includes this daybed:

Here is a link that might be useful: Maldives Day Lounger

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Allison,
    Do not tell my DH, he will kill me.

We are in the car right now. With two of them in the back. We drove from Maine this am, stopped in CT to leave the kids for lessons/games, then drove to No NJ to get the daybeds and are now almost home again. Other than 20 minutes we've been in the car since 930am...

• allison0704
    9 years ago

LOL I won't tell him. Glad you found two. Haven't been around much lately, so didn't know you were headed that way.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for thinking of me, Allison!

I have had to go through an absurd amount of effort to procure these things. The online store does not talk to the physical stores, and at the time I was looking only the physical stores had them. The physical stores are nowhere near me, until they just opened one about 90 minutes away (actually its a soft opening). The physical stores will only hold them 48 hours; they won't take payment over the phone. A shipper wanted $500, plus they could not buy it for me, and I could not buy it over the phone ...

Great customer service! Glad to say I didn't like anything else they had in the store, surprised at the quality of this piece in a sea of otherwise Pier-1-esque stuff, and hope to never do business with them again.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Next time, tell DH to simply drop you off at the airport and fly to Bali and buy two at one of those artisans that line the road to Ubud. Ship back the daybed and add some patio furniture while you're at it. Spend a few days at the Four Seasons and fly back. ;) (Seriously, my neighbors just bought some lovely hand crafted patio furniture there and shipped it back in a container.)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL, I have been to Ubud, to the Amandari. Have you been to Ubud? Bali is so beautiful and the culture/architecture/food are so interesting, too.

While we were there, we saw a place that said "antiques made to order".

My DH noted that the box says "made in Vietnam"

• Gooster
    9 years ago

@mtnredux: That's too funny, I almost referenced the Amandari in my reply. I've been to Ubud, twice actually. I brought back a couple of paintings from there -- ones actually made on the island. One of my most favorite hotel beaches of all time is the little private cove down the cliff from the Ritz Carlton. We heard the story from the neighbors and started looking at flights to go back again ;)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gooster, I don't usually go back to places (my bucket list is so long), but I would go back to Bali.

My DH and i spent nine days there, at three different Aman resorts. The Amankila, with big wide steps leading down to the beach, was also spectacular, but I was partial to the rice paddy views at Amandari.

Were you on vacation both times?

• User
    9 years ago

My DH noted that the box says "made in Vietnam"
    Picky, picky :-)

Glad you found exactly what you wanted, Mtn. Is the wallpaper up in the downstairs?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi KSWL,

No, it's not. ::: head exploding :::

Yesterday they called me and said "hey, we were thinking, that since this paper is going over plaster, which is not as smooth as drywall, we should use a liner paper". Umm, yeah!

So at least they are starting on the paper!

We just came back from 5 days at the house. There is still a ton to do. I don't know why. We have five bathrooms and none were totally done. All of the toilets worked, thank goodness. But one bathroom had a sink, working, but no mirror up. The other had a mirror, but no taps, etc etc. Three had showers, but two of those have no lights. You had to wonder in and out of a few different bathrooms to get ready in the morning.

As people, I like my contractors a lot. And they are very organized and meticulous and financially transparent. I appreciate all of that. But, they are behind schedule like contractors always are, and it is infuriating.

Aside from that, we are very happy with our decisions. The third floor looks great, and we added 2 full baths there, both fairly generous and pleasant. The MBR suite came out nicely, and we can't believe we ever hesitated with adding the deck there. It is fabulous and makes the room. I'm also loving my unfitted kitchen.

• User
    9 years ago

Contractors are a breed apart.....can you imagine what they say about us on their builder forums!

You have taken this enormous project and basically tamed it in record time, I truly don't know how you can do it on such a contracted schedule. I get in decision overload and start second guessing everything and make myself (and everyone else, probably) miserable.

So glad you are enjoying the deck off your MBR! We have coffee on ours every nice morning and it is delightful. Enjoying the outdoors is so much easier with accessible spots.

Dare we ask for pictures? Just a few to tide us over until the big reveal. You did realize that is the GW price of admission, right ? ðÂÂÂ

• Gooster
    9 years ago

@mtnredux: I'm at 43 countries and counting, but I still make time to hit places I've enjoyed. It was vacation both times, once combined with a trip to Thailand and the other combined with a trip to Vietnam and Cambodia.

Good luck with the bed. I really like it but need the beech house to go with it. Love the Maine coast, if that's where you are at.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just wanted to update this post. We bought two, one for the "maids room" off the kitchen, and one for the girls' attic suite.

I love them. The color is very interesting, sort of a dark driftwood. They are surprisingly good quality. Heavy, sturdy, well made. I am shocked at the value for $399.
    Highly recommend. Do note: I think they look better with a mattress that is not super super thick.

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

Yoo-hoo...Mtn...in response to my post on daybeds, someone linked to this post because they remembered that you had bought the same daybed that I just ordered today. Just curious, did you buy mattress covers from World Market, or did you find covers elsewhere?

• hooked123
    6 years ago

I have that daybed from World Market and love it!! It's been in my screened-in-porch for years.

• DLM2000-GW
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

sabbath7 I'm so glad you posted. I'm considering this for our porch and wondered about what type of cushion /mattress would be best for that setting. Does your daybed ever get wet from wind driven rain? Our porch has nice overhangs but we do get wind and rain in combination. Your porch is lovely and so inviting.

• MtnRdRedux
    6 years ago

Hi, yes, I did buy the covers from WM. Sort of a khaki color. they r fine. HTH!