Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebeezgw

Chair Pads

I am going to order some chair pads for my dining room chairs, which are casual. I am looking at some from Ballard Designs (Suzanne K ones) in linen or twill. I want a white or off white, and am ordering fabric samples.

Aside from food, do you think a light colored pad will get stained from blue jeans? If I get the linen, which are so nice, ( I have a sample already in a different color, past project) they have to be dry cleaned. The twill is washable.
I don't have kids but have family, friends, etc. and I am messy!

The chairs are black and I want a light colored chair pad.
They aren't super cheap to me (50 apiece), so I don't want to waste money if they are difficult to maintain and I plan on getting extras too.

Comments (13)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This seems silly now and I would delete it entirely but moving down.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Why is it silly? Who wants to sit on a hard chair? Ouch.

I got nice ones on Ebay for less than half what they were from a catalog. They have a zippered cover so I can take the covers off and wash them, which I do.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hah, thank you Hoovb! I will check out ebay.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

It's not silly, in fact I have a related question! I've been thinking about getting chair pads for my DR chairs also, but I was wondering...do they scoot around when you move on or off the chair? If they do then I doubt I'd buy any. They add a lot to a room though.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

One thought about the dry clean-only fabric. Since you have a sample, I would try washing it. I think that many fabrics say dry clean, but they will come out just fine when washed. Linen is usually washable.

Good luck!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will try washing it. I agree about that, I wash cashmere sweaters all the time and they are fine.
    The linen sample has the nicest sheen to it.
    I usually choose family/dog friendly prints and relatively medium to dark colors because of dirt so I hope these aren't magnetic.
    I love white handbags, for example, but they are royalty.
    Oakly, I plan on putting a rug grip piece on the bottom of the pad to keep it from moving around...and ripping the ties.

• wantoretire_did
    9 years ago

Longtime lurker here. I put rug grip strips under wooden chair pads and tablecloths and they left what are apparently permanent marks on all :-(

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I won't risk the rug grip then. These chairs have a beautiful sheen to the wood. Darn.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, wantoretire! and for posting. Very helpful. Surely there is something that will work.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I have never been happy with any chair pads, unless they are cheap enough to be easily replaced often. Ties have to fixed often, they get dirty and don't clean well, and my cat usually picks one as her bed :o

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Agree with Errant. I would only get cheap seat cushions that can be easily tossed after a while. That is, if you plan on eating at that table.

H&M sale seat cushions and also the link below.

No white ones, but these
    /2014/2FV%200206306%20001%2097%204476.jpg]&set=key[rotate],value[]&set=key[width],value[]&set=key[height],val">

(I think no writing on the back)

They are about 10.00/each

Here is a link that might be useful: H&M seat cushions

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! Those are cute! Unfortunately, I am rather picky and don't like most normal cushions for my home. I want ones fairly tailored to the chair, not tufted and not too thick and puffy. They don't have to be expensive but the ones I like tend to be. The covers are removable so I will get extra covers.
    I don't think the dirt/food is that big a deal as the blue jeans rubbing off. I ruined a white leather purse once from blue jean dye. Most food, wine, etc will wash out.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

new jeans may indeed stain; old, well washed and worn jeans probably not. If you add vinegar to the first wash it will help the dye.

Chair pads are a bust for me, because my chairs are too slippery. But they need padding because the chairs are too hard! I've thought about buying the kind that has no slip stuff on the bottom to prevent that, but haven't tried it.