Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorishopaholic

Foyer rug not sure if it is right

lorishopaholic
9 years ago

My foyer rug came and I am thinking it is a little blah. I went with the lighter of my two options that I posted previously. I also am wondering if it is to small. I didn't go bigger because the next size would end stopping around the middle of the mirror on the wall and I thought that might be strange. The darker rug that I could order does have a round in a 7'8 size that might fill out the area better. For comparison the rug pictured is 7'6 long. I am planning on adding a second rug in front of the stairs as well. I would love suggestions!

Comments (34)

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

From another angle. It just came today so the corners are still curled up.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My other rug choice which is more gray/ lighter in person and has some blue in it.

• bac717
    9 years ago

I think I might prefer a round rug there, but I'm also wondering if your current rug will fit if you turn it 90 degrees.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here it is turned.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Way better turned, but I'd put it that way in front of the stairs and get a large round rug for the foyer.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Much better, but I believe I'd like the darker color better.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

See how it looks turned back longways and moved away from the door, centering it on the two cased openings. Close to the door, it looks more like a mat and less like an accent rug, IMHO

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I like Tibbrix' s idea and the darker color....the darker color will be better for tracked in dirt as well.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Can we see it by the stairs? I think you are getting "blah" because they read as solids, so I don't think the dark one will be more exciting.

The foyer is more of a square, so I bet a round rug will work better.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here it is by the stairs. I like it better by the stairs but thinking it might be a bit to large for this area? Thoughts?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

The corner of the rug being right smack in the middle of the walkway into the kitchen area is a problem.

Can you turn it the other way and then take a pic of it from the top of the stairs so we can see the whole foyer?

• carolt924
    9 years ago

After looking at all your pics, I think I may like the darker rug better, especially the blue accents. I also like the rug with the longer side facing your entry door and centered between the set of doors to the left and right and how about the same rug turned the opposite way in front of your stairway?

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the rug turned

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

There you go! And a rectangular rug which covers most of the floor in front of the door.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I think it's perfect there, and like Tibb suggested, another rug by the door :)

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tibbrix! Should I go with the dark rug for in front of the door or do I need to stay with the same rug or light color similar rug? I'm confused on what size to buy. Should I get another one the same size?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

For size, I think you want one that is wider than the width of the rug that is there now, so the two of them make a T, and leaving maybe three inches between the edges of the two rugs and about three inches from the walls.

Personally, I don't like matching Persian rugs. Persian style rugs mix up fantastically together, different patterns and colors. I probably would stay within the depth of color of the two rugs, though, color-wise, but I"d definitely do a different pattern.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Just looked at the photo of the same rug but in front of the door turned the other way, which I think is what you want with the second rug. I think you want a rug that is the same width (the long width) but widerâ¦perhaps a square rug.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

You need one coming straight from the door vertical and keep that one horizontal at the stairs, darker, two different patterns, similar in color and pattern but different. Pretend you went to Pakistan and bought a rug, brought it home, loved it so much that when and went back next year, you wanted to get a matching one and considering they are all handmade, you settled for one that looked like it but was not identical but worked well together.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I think the darker rug would look nicer.

• peony4
    9 years ago

FWIW, I don't think you need a rug at the bottom of your stairs, and for a few reasons. First, the "ergonomics," if you will, of safely climbing stairs with a smooth surface indicate the launching point (your main floor) and the landing point (at the top of the stairs) (or, vice versa if you were coming down the stairs) should be the same surface. I have a personal need for stair safety, and know this from advice and (sadly) experience.

Second, your wood floors are lovely and lead into various rooms, such that 2 separate rugs in such a transitional area would be too much visually for the lower half of the space. You don't need 2 rugs.

The one you show here is a bit light for darker floors and doesn't blend well based on the photos, but if you like it, I'd suggest placing it horizontally with the door, and leaving the rest of the entry floor as wood, for safety and aesthetic reasons.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

I agree with Peony. I wouldn't cover up those gorgeous floors! Just a small, darker, rug at the door would be my preference.

Linda

• casb77
    9 years ago

I'm with Peony and Whitelacey. Your floors and stairs are GORGEOUS and I personally wouldn't want to cover them up.

I liked the rug turned so the long edge was in front of the door and would go with a darker color.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I'd just use a round or octogon rug at the door. I need a little more color, pattern, and texture than you so to me there's too much solid color in the entryway. Both rugs read solid, so I'd keep shopping.

• katrina_ellen
    9 years ago

I agree there is not a need for a rug at the bottom of the stairs. I also would go for something with richer tones because the wood tones are rich, and to my eye would look better not contrasting with the flooring so much. I wouldn't think of the rug as a stand-out feature but more of an item that compliments its surroundings.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I wouldn't put a rug at the bottom of the stairs either. Why get wood floors if you can't see them?

A couple of weeks ago we took up two long runners and we oohed and ahhed at the floor. It was so much prettier.

The rug laid horizontally in front of the door would work as a door mat and for decoration. Mine is like that in our entryway. But you might want to use the darker rug because of dirty shoes.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Round rug, darker, at the door and no others.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

What Linelle said.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I agree with Linelle that a round darker rug at the door is what is needed. Do not cover your beautiful floors.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

By the way, what wood species are your beautiful floors, width and stain? I love them so much!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Don't agree. Why put rugs on any floor? Rugs enhance floors. I think your foyer would look unfinished with a large open floor space. Rugs also help with acoustics, not to mention comfort in walking.

I do agree that rugs with a darker pattern would work better there. I think a navy-based Persian style rug would be perfect with that champagne colored mirror there.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I looked back at your other thread and the rug is a very different color in the website photo. I wouldn't take the chance with the brown rug unless the rugs are returnable without a shipping fee. Can't you shop locally and find the perfect rug?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Not to mention that rugs protect the floors!