Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (24)

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

It is nice to see a house with the interior suiting the exterior.
    I have seen a few bad interiors here lately. I love the bare windows.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

With the exception of the utilitarian basement and plumbing pipes running across the huge outcropping in the basement, the house is like Mary Poppins: practically perfect in every way. I wouldn't change a thing--except put a range hood in the kitchen.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

That house really rocks! I hope the agent finds the right quarry...I hope the buyer doesn't take it for granite. Sorry, I couldn't help it...I don't know if I'm stoned ore what...I feel boulder....

• peegee
    9 years ago

Annie you're too much!!!! My first thought: radon test!

• rockybird
    9 years ago

I agree! I love it! I love how simple and uncluttered it is. It's perfect.

Anne - very clever and very funny!

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Oh Annie - such punishment.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Love this house! I'd take it with all the furnishings.

I concur on the radon test.

• selcier
    9 years ago

I have that fireplace! And it DOES NOT BELONG in my 1930's vernacular Victorian.

But, love love love the house. That is house you do MCM.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

This reminds me of a house similar where the bath was built around a huge rock outcropping. The shower was like a water fall when being used.. I wonder how much heat is lost with so much stone or is it a good insulation balance of outside temps?

• User
    9 years ago

Not sure I would want to live there but it is a very cool house!

• jakabedy
    9 years ago

Want.

• differentdreamer
    9 years ago

That actually looks like one of the Jenn Air type ranges with the exhaust between the burners - maybe with that you wouldn't need a hood.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Perhaps the first modern house with a rock penetrating it:

And the house in Berkeley

• bpath
    9 years ago

Very cool, almost like the hHouse on the Rock in Wisconsin...but less cluttered...

What do you think the cabinets below and to the left of the kitchen sink are?

• detroit_burb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really love this one, too. I was wondering what others thought of it, and I wonder if resale is affected by the boulder. I love the 50's cabinets, and baths. The kitchen looks late 1980's, I had a jenn-air like that from the late 1980's, great heavy range with downdraft. Downdraft is not so efficient, though.

Who would cook with all those amazing restaurants around anyway??

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

Reminds me of the old Dick Van Dyke show. Rob and Laura's house had a boulder in the basement.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dick Van Dyke show rock house episode synopsis

• cawaps
    9 years ago

The corner window in the bedroom also reminded me of Fallingwater.

Here's the Berkeley window:

When I toured Fallingwater I was with a co-worker who was a structural engineer. When we looked at that window, she asked if it had ever cracked due to the building settling (since there's no structural post in the corner). The tour guides mouth tightened a bit and she admitted that it had.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

I LOVE THAT HOUSE!!!!!

My sister used to live in the area, and it was on one of our walking routes.

They had a choice to spend lots of money blasting and hauling or make the boulders work ... and they work.

• flowerpwr45
    9 years ago

Wouldn't decorate around it at all; it is what it is. And Dick Van Dyke was my first thought, too!

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

I love this house. I sometimes drive by a house in our foothills that is built right up against a massive boulder (taller than the house). It's not incorporated inside the house, but the house is a very boxy modern style (not sure if it's MCM or what exactly) with a lot of windows and the massive boulder offers this very natural contrast to the house. The house was built right up to the builder, but not quite touching and slightly cantilevered over it. Love the idea and the execution here as well.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I liked the open windows and lack of window treatments, but I think some of the window treatments were removed to sell the house. You can see them on a street view, at least in the front of the house. Homes are very close there and I would be surprised if the owners could get by without some sort of window treatments in the bedrooms!

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Not to get too far off topic, but there were a lot of structural problems with Fallingwater, because the builders had never built anything like it.

The other windows that cracked were those where one side was set into a channel in the stone on one side instead of a separate frame

Also the cantilevers should have been framed and poured in a slightly upward pointing direction so that they would settle in a level position. Instead they were built level and settled into a slightly sagging position.

And, while the owners' son has great affection for the house, the couple that commissioned it never really liked it very much when it was all said and done.

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

I very much enjoyed the tour! Thank you for posting.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

My house is built around a boulder. No lie! And, I lived here about thirty years before I knew it. The back third of my basement is a dirt crawl space. It is about chest level and kind of creepy back there. In the forty years I have lived here, I have never climbed up there. The dirt is uneven and particularly high in one spot. I got curious (finally) about that spot and poked it with something, which is when I discovered that it is solid rock. Later I talked to a long time resident of the community who remembers when the houses on my street were built. He remembered that one was built around a boulder. Guess whose house that is? LOL It causes no problems.