Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you like in decorating when most don't?

Posted by oakleyok (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 11, 09 at 18:15

The vinyl flooring thread gave me this idea. What decorating do you like and you feel you're in the minority? I'll go first. :)

1. Colored tile in the kitchen for flooring and backsplash. I'm talking about non-neutrals.

2. Doilies, table runners, lace here and there, lace curtains/panels. As long as it's not abundant and used sparingly.

3. Vinyl flooring! lol. Especially in bathrooms.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you like in decorating when most don't?

Well I'm with you on the colored tile for back spashes. Ours in cobalt blue. I know most go for neutral tiles like you said though.

I prefer stained wood over painted. If it's wood and there's a grain (other than knotty pine) I want to see it stained.

o

I love dark paint colors on walls. With the right furniture, it feels dramatic and sexy and intimate to me.

By the same token, I love when someone takes a room with little natural light and plays up the dark/intimate angle instead of using paint tricks and light placement to try and make the room light.

o

Mini-blinds. They are so practical.

o

zeebee, do you know a place on the web where I can look up how to play up dark rooms? My sitting room is a walk-through with no windows. The upper wall will be semi-dark with white bead board below. Even now with the whitish walls (pre-paint) it's still dark. I'd love to know how to do this!

o

I like formal rooms. Most don't, but I'm comfortable in them.
Also, dark wood cabinets. I like the white painted ones, but they're just not for me.
I have changed my bedroom, but for a long time, I had the curtains matching the bedspread. My sisters always made fun of it being too 'matchy', but I see that in magazines all the time.
I also like dark, thick 'drapes' instead of 'curtains'.
Hmmm.... this really makes me sound stiff, old, and a little strange! :0

o

Simple window coverings. Light, filmy, see-though, natural, almost non-existent.

o

I will rephrase it a bit...what I like that is not popular or not common right now:
Vinyl flooring
Laminate for countertops
Simple kitchens and bathrooms
Uncoordinated upholstered pieces: good for the piece but not matching or coordinated to the rest of the room.
Wall colors that aren't pulled from rugs or upholstery (again, not matching)
Wall to wall carpet in bedrooms
Wallpaper

o

Light woods -- e.g., natural maple -- I'll be so happy when this fad for dark, dreary espresso stained everything passes

Blue! (the color, in all its glorious hues) -- I'll be almost as happy when this fad for avocado green, oops, I mean sage green, passes

Blue (the person)

o

Outrageous (to most) mixtures of color and patterns.

Michael S Smith

Michael S. Smith from April House Beautiful.

I can't get too much pattern or texture.

o

beautiful wood floors with little to no rugs covering them.

tina

o

Knotty pine paneling.

o

I could be palimpsest's "sister from another mother", except for the wallpaper. Although I love the look of wallpaper, the removal once it's past its prime is the killer. Everything else she mentioned is spot-on for me ;o)

o

White walls (at least in most of the house)!

o

I hate neutral in all forms of neutral :oP I hate planning a home in anyway to be "neutral". I want my home to be MINE :) And not neutral enough to be anyone's home.

Dark dark dark trim :)

White towels, only!

Can't stand bare walls....I want art everywhere :)

o

I like oak (not honeyed and polyed though), brass and no window treatments at all- even thought my style is mostly traditionally based. (based on that quiz we all took - wine country)
I also like appliance garages and this is the biggest horror of all:

When we built our house, for just dh and I (Dad downstairs in walk out basement)
the custom floor plan I decided on was having the master bedroom open into the great room. I must have had 20 people tell me, nicely, this was just wrong. i.e. mill house !.
10 years later, I have no problem with it at all and still like it and would do it again. I love reading on the bed and listening to dh or Dad watching tv in the adjoining room.

I know this is a serious flaw design wise but I don't care. It perfectly suits me and our lifestyle.
I hope I live in this house my entire life.

o

White walls, large bold contemporary art -

o

Seems a lot of people here don't like white walls or clutter. I like both.

o

Antiques
Mohair velvet
Formica counters
Decorative painting
Almond/bisque appliances
English Country decor

(Parma, great picture, I like that too.)

o

I love BRIGHT colored rooms, and only use the combo of Yellow, Green & Blue.

I love gingham, plaids and coderoy.
I like our bread box with the roll top lid.
I'm a fan of mini blinds and carpet in the bedrooms too.
I love our oak honey oak cabinets and yellow kitchen, it's comfortable.
I love word art.

o

Bumblebeez, my parents built their house with the master off the family room as you did, and they liked it that way too, so you're not alone!

o

Barcelona chairs, but know I will never have a home that could support them.

I also love decrepit items presented as art.

o

I'm with you on vinyl floors. :)

@igloochic: For the past three months, every time I go to Sam's Club I've been picking up two of their $5.88 white bath towels. They're oversized, fluffy, and cheap enough that I won't cry when I have to relegate a permanently stained one to the rag heap. Plus, I need about a hundred of them because my three teens subscribe to the one-and-done school of towel (ab)use. White towels bring a classic elegance to my bathroom and it's a look I've secretly admired for years. What the heck was I so afraid of?!? LOL

Mis-matched furniture. I don't want two of the same of anything in my living room. Bedroom, maybe, but not the living room -- there, I want a tableau.

The copper-bottom Revereware stainless pots and pans my grandmother bought me 23 years ago. Handles are sad but the metal looks great!

Moving outdoors a bit: Hostas. You just can't kill 'em!

I'm sure I'll think of other non-fashionable quirks. Love this thread!

o

I love fancy wansy dining rooms dripping in coin silver pieces, a giant formal dark antique dining table w/fancy old chairs, bulls eye mirror, replica of antique wallpaper and velvet drapes with fancy trim.

I just described my cousins dining room, it's so gorgeous but then everything in that house is.

But I don't think this room is for everyone so I put it in here as a favorite.

One day I am going to ask to photograph her rooms and ask if I can put them on here. But I don't really want her reading my thoughts and words. This is a private party, huh? lol

o

MRSMARV, are you a Dan Fogelberg fan? You comment about sister of a different Mother made me think of the album he did with Tim Weisberg "Twin Sons of Different Mothers".

o

Ceiling fans. (SO useful!)

Faux painted walls. DIY even.

-Lena

o

"Moving outdoors a bit: Hostas. You just can't kill 'em!"

Wanna bet? One look at my former hosta bed should explain why I keep to indoor projects.

o

Yes. Ceiling fans. Gotta have 'em even if a vintage light would be so much cooler.
Sliding doors. French sounds great and look amazing. But a patio slider is so efficient and takes up much less space. I also like windows with no window treatments if the view is good.

Red

o

Yes, ceiling fans and sliding doors.

Pale clear colors with no gray in them (gotta mix 'em yourself these days if you want them)

Restrained classical decor (that's not cottagey and not mid-century modern or Victorian)

light woods, whitewashed woods

painted backsplashes

florals that don't look 1960s-ish

good lace, especially battenburg

o

I find a bit if myself in a lot of the posts above:

natural woods - maple , heart pine

art art art

dark dramatic wall color

candles candles and more...inside and out

bare wood floors in summer...Orientals in the winter

lace lace lace...I love my lace WT's

no matchy unless...so I guess really no rules is better...

white linens and towels always....

castoffs ...recycled...reused...I am a sucker for consignment shops of all kinds.

Moving outdoors...just had dinner with DH ....candles and fountain and pizza...on the porch...fireflies and frogs for entertainment. Life in the South...in June. c

o

Another with master off the living area. (though I do have a tiny entry hall that gives a bit of a break between the areas) But even worse, the master bath has not one, but TWO windows that look out onto the front porch. Luckily we live out in the boonies w/no neighbors. And yes, we designed this ourselves!

I also happen to like shutters a lot, sometimes when they don't look functional. But to me they can be a decorative feature that gives a house a bit of color. I know! Gasp!

o

I like wall to wall carpet, antique brass, and travis drapes. I also like ceiling fans and the color blue used in decorating.

o

What igloochic said

along with...

my beautiful purple walls in my kitchen
my beautiful puppy "couch accessories"

What's odd is that many here seem to like the same things, yet those things are supposedly "out". Funny how that works.
"

o

One thing I like, altho don't have them, are the old fashioned roller shades (pull blinds). They've been in use since at least the 19th C and one can still buy them. I'm seriously thinking of getting some in cream or white like the old ones. With sheers or lace panels over they have an old-fashioned romantic simplicity I like.

I like animal prints altho I know at least some don't.

I like pre-owned whether valuable or not. I like old silver holloware even plate.

I like walls full of "stuff" to look at.

I require color on walls.

It's really difficult to say what "most" don't like as I see many of everyone's listed things (including mine) on designer sites, home decor forums, and in shelter mags.

o

Moving outdoors a bit: Hostas. You just can't kill 'em!

Bet me! Every hosta I've ever planted has disappeared off the face of the earth as if snatched up by alien spaceships. I put slug bait down. I don't get it. But I finally gave up, figuring my great great great granemother must have been hosta cursed by gypsies or something.

Oh, and yes, ceiling fans. But not when the birds are out.

o

For a little over a year, I've come thisclose so many times to ordering a beautiful wood shade for my bathroom window.

I just can't do it!
I can't let go of the versatility, the privacy and light adjustment qualities of my vinyl blinds in the mini-budget decorated master bath (ala smaller than an average powder room with a shower).

My neighbor just last weekend: "You updated and refreshed everything in this little bathroom, why keep outdated blinds?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~
I love a beautifully executed faux treatment on almost anything. Especially if it's updating/refreshing a curb find/yard sale treasure or Goodwill previously loved item.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
If it's a bed or ceiling fan, I'll gladly sleep on the floor because I'm not giving up my ceiling fan for anything!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Asymmetry.
Although beautiful, matching candlesticks on each side of the fireplace mantel or matching urns on each side of the front door look wonderful in magazine layouts and private home pics shown on web sites and forums like this one, when I do it in my own home I get antsy.

Parma, I'd be very at-home and relaxed in the room/the photo you showed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When redoing our mini master bathroom, I was offered a beautiful, free frameless shower door.
No thank you.....I'll stick to my shower curtain.
At my age, ease in upkeep takes priority. *smile* And I love being able to change out the shower curtain fabric when the mood strikes or the seasons change.
I'm fickle like that. :)

o

i really like the old fashioned shades also and will probably end up with some in my new place
even tho

I also like windows with no window treatments if the view is good. my views are mostly good... but i think there might be times i want a few windows covered...

gotta have those ceiling fans. as i've been looking at lights i keep wanting to pick some out for my rooms especially when i see some vintage ones - but all rooms except baths, kitchen and laundry already have fans/lights.
might replace some later but for now i can only pick out lights for the kitchen, bath, hall and laundry.
Antiques and other old stuff...lace WT, tableclothes, runners etc
the furniture i've had for over 30 yrs...
vinyl flooring
carpet in the mstr bedroom (I'm still holding on to that...)
Formica counters
Almond/bisque appliances
oak with the grain showing - but not orangey/ylw and plastic looking/shiny

very plain cabinet doors and drawers - no ornamentation on it except top moulding.

and gee - my bdrm will be off of the LR/DR!

"What's odd is that many here seem to like the same things, yet those things are supposedly "out". Funny how that works."
i was thinking this same thing as i read thru the posts.

o

Off-white, creamy walls in most rooms.

Wall-to-wall carpeting in the bedrooms and living room.

Matchy-matchy in the bedrooms, for the bedside tables, lamps, and fabrics. Anything goes with the furniture, though.

Wallpaper. Unfortunately, the walls in this house are better without it, so I just look and daydream.

Vinyl flooring in the masterbath.

Shower curtains.

Every room has to be comfortable for reading.

Over-the-top laundry room - lots of pink, lots of flowers and pictures and mementos.

o

Pal, thanks for rephrasing it for me. Yesterday I had workers in and out and it was hectic here, I remember writing the topic heading and saying, "This doesn't look right", then hit send anyway!

I promise I went past the 8th grade. lol

o

I prefer 8 foot ceilings, particularly in the foyer.

I would rather keep my 8 inch asbestos siding rather then replace with vinyl siding that all my neighbors seem to be using-I prefer the proportions and texture of the asbestos.(Left undisturbed it has no health or environmental consequences).

I would rather not own a commercial stove, oven or front loading washer or drier.

o

Laminate for countertops (at least while I have kids)

Vinyl siding - much less maintenance than cedar, though I noticed some spots need washing (mildew?) after only 2 years, at least we don't have to stain/paint!

Oak! Even honey oak, though I hate the thick plastic poly look on any wood - much prefer hand-rubbed oil/wax finish. I had to give in and use poly in some places in new house for water resistance, but went with satin wipe-on poly and built up finish rather than putting on thick coat. I'll never do gloss!

Simple kitchens and bathrooms - though I like looking at the over-the-top kitchens and baths with steam showers and such, it's just not me. Same thing with other direction - not too much "country" plaids and knickknacks and gallery rails and such (the gallery rail I asked specifically NOT to be put on my range hood is coming OFF!)

No knobs/pulls on cabinets.

12x12 tile

Wall to wall carpet in bedrooms (so much warmer in the winter, though not good for allergies)

Ceiling fans in BRs - even though we could do without the one in the FR, now that this house has central air (our first!), we still all like the fans at the foots of the our beds at night instead of turning the AC on.

Last house had essentially no WTs for a decade - we only put up valances in kitchen and LR for sale LOL. But this house is getting more mainly for light control - I've found I like Roman shades.

Neutral wall colors - even if it makes it look like a spec home. Green was a big deal for me and now I find out it's considered a neutral LOL!

Matchy-matchy - pairs of lamps, matching end/coffee tables, matching fabrics in BRs.

Wallpaper borders but not wallpaper (nightmares from stripping greasy stained WP off unprimed walls in our 1st fixer-upper!)

It's not that I don't like art, but I never seem to have much of it hanging in my house. I have to really like the picture, and it has to look good in the room/fit the decor, and unfortunately my furniture tastes (or budget - I love A&C but have middle-class microfiber) and tastes in art (Old Masters, some Impressionists) don't seem to mix well. I'd rather have bare walls than artwork I'm not crazy about. Of course, I'm going to go see some giclees on paper, not canvas :-( tomorrow just to find *something* to hang over the misplaced sconce locations in my DR until I can get around to moving the one, patching & painting the wall, and finding light fixtures I love.

Outside - lilacs, boxwoods (not shaped though), daffodils, mountain laurel. Wish I had shade here for hydrangeas.

o

Traditional LR and DR,
white appliances in kitchen
cream walls
wreaths in the house

o

Hmmm, interesting, I didn't know ceiling fans (have several) and sliding glass doors were out. Well add those to the list!

o

At the risk of veering dangerously off-topic, I find the hosta thing hilarious. Late last summer
I pulled up 35 of the basic green-with-white-edges (can't recall the name) that I had planted a few years back in one of my more linear phases. Long story but in a nutshell, in early October I finally tossed about a dozen of the dried-up root balls into a weird area where nothing but pachysandra will grow, figuring if the hostas root, they root, if not, NBD. I didn't even bother digging them in, just threw them about willy-nilly. Sure enough, every single one of those guys is now in full bloom!

o

concrete walls & flooring
moss in a bowl instead of house plants (too lazy LOL)
decrepit junks, architectural salvages, old house parts
naked wood

o

Yellow brick ranch houses from the 40s & 50s -- the kind that people tear down.

Oak kitchens. I put one in, much to the amusement of my contractor, who had taken many out but had never installed one. Love its visual heft & tactile quality.

Chintz on the sofa and matching chintz curtains. Especially if the flowers are big blowsy pink cabbage roses.

4 x 4 colored tile bathrooms or kitchens w/ contrasting tile trim. This style is from, what, the 30s? 20s?

o

Isn't it more "designers" that say ceiling fans are out? I can't immagine a home without them. In most climates they help save energy costs. They'll always be "in" in my book. We have six in our home with three more planned. Two of those already purchased.

o

Creamy off-white walls

Family photos everywhere. Stuff on walls must mean something personal to me.

Minimalist bed (it's for sleeping in!)

Mix of woods, from light to dark

TV in the bedroom, guest bedroom and sitting right out there in the living room

Magazines, newspaper, dinner plates on the coffee table. No room for accessories.

Stuff on kitchen counter is functional. No staged tableaux.

o

My 2-yr old oak cabinets are not only honey (Cider) colored, but arched! Did that to match my (then) 13-yr old china cabinet that I love.

Since we have geothermal system AC doesn't really cost us anything for electricity (except blower), but we just find it more soothing to be lulled to sleep by the feel/sound of the ceiling fans - DS even turns his on in winter! I get too cold to use my BR fan in winter, even though DH says it'll help with heating costs too (direction reversed). Really made difference in old house with woodstove in cathedral-ceilinged (sp?) FR though.

o

stained trim
dark wood furniture
table runners & doilies
blue spongeware pottery
antiques

o

Sort of funny story: when we'd reno'd our kitchen a couple years ago, we'd told our electrician at our very first mtg with him that we wanted a ceiling fan in the new kitchen. He insisted that he did "all high-end kitchens, and none of them have ceiling fans--nobody's putting in ceiling fans any more" and "wouldn't we rather have some nice pendant lights" and on and on like that. We stuck to our guns (ok, maybe we wavered for like, a minute and a half at some point--lol), and ended up finding a really cool ceiling fan (originally had planned on getting a wood-bladed version of the Casablanca fan in our old kitchen, but it wouldn't have "played nice" with our cabs!).

When we'd told the electrician that we'd found our ceiling fan, and showed him the brochure, he actually had the audacity to say, "that's why you wanted a ceiling fan, because you found a cool one." Hmmm, how convenient that he forgot us mentioning that we wanted one, about a million times before!

o

The same designers who told you all these things you love are out, will within a few years, be telling you they are in, and some will be trying to buy what we have salvaged and given to Goodwill from antique and artsy-fartsy stores at prices to hefty, only the wealthy carpetbagging Arabs, Chinese and Indians will be able to afford it.

o

Navajo white walls.
Mini blinds.
Sliding glass doors.
Modern white leather sofas or sectionals.
Ceiling fans in greatrooms.
Polished brass accents.
Hobby Lobby decor.

o

OMG, if these things are not supposed to be "in style", I must be waaaay out of style.
But I still happen to like:
Top loading washer
Ceiling fans
Brass
Sliding patio doors
Table runners & doilies
Pull Drapes
Mini-blinds
Matchy-matchy
Laminate Counter-tops
Stained woodwork
Ceilings not over 9'
White kitchen appliances
Traditional furniture & art

Guess I need to get out more and see how the rest of the world is decorated......I just like comfortable & cozy.
If so many of us like what is "out"....maybe we are the new "in". LOL

o

Recliners. My livingroom has 2 recliners and a large sofa with recliners in it. We're kind of a laid back family!

o

I think the reason ceiling fans got such a bad rap is this.
Ceiling fans were originally came on the market in the Victorian/Edwardian era along with the gas-electric transition in lighting.

When people started putting ceiling fans in houses again in a big way--1970s I guess...every ceiling fan for almost the next 20 years was a Victorian looking fan. So, no matter the decor of the house, you saw the same Victorian looking fans. Even in Architectural Digest houses. Now, at least there are a lot of design options.

o

It's good to know, after reading everyone's lists, that we're NOT a bunch of sheep, being led around by the decorating fashionistas . . . we like what we like and not what they tell us we should like ;^D . . . Go GWers!!

My list?
* I like framed, enlarged color ~NOT black & white~ snapshots of my family and friends. I don't care how great they may look done up in an artsy, B&W way, I want to see their green eyes looking back at me (my DH, DD, & DS all have gorgeous green eyes and blond hair; I'm the only one with brown eyes and hair). I want to see the color of the sky and the mountains behind them or the flowers they're next to.
* creamy white walls, covered with beautiful art.
* simple window treatments
* ceiling fans . . . with no lights on them
* antique doilies and good lace, used in moderation
* silk flowers and greenery, when they're the good, very realistic ones.
* knotty pine. It reminds me of our summer place on the lake when I was a kid. But, used in moderation and in the right setting!
* top-loading washers
* reasonably high ceilings: not too low but not tall, tall vaulted ones either.
Lynn

o

Let's see:

White painted kitchen cabinets
white tile counters and backsplash (reminds me of old world food shops)
white kitchen appliances
laminate wood-like floors (as I JUST cleaned up another cat mess! .......)
laminate white blinds
brass (AND I see more and more of it in the decor mags ....)
"stuff" (and ditto to the above comment .....)
my high gloss white panelled walls in our one-and-only living room
my dark olive-sage green dining room (which was dark gold for many years)

I admit to a "love-hate" relationship with ceiling fans -- during these hot summer days -- we can't live well without them! BUT I would love to hang a large lantern in the living room ....

Jan at Rosemary Cottage (who loves many decor styles and ideas .... )

o

Oooh, fun.

Underdressed beds, and all white linens - bed, bath, and kitchen.
Shower curtains made of high quality drapery material.
Same for kitchen and bath curtains.
Indoor-outdoor rugs in the dining room.
Hardwood and rugs in the kitchen.
Radiators.
Outdoor light fixtures in the entry.
Permanent bar tray set up in the dining room or the den. It's welcoming...
Mirrors everywhere, to manipulate the space.
Prints and drawings more than paintings.
Appealing inexpensive images (museum shop prints, letterpress cards, fabulous labels..), expensively framed.
French doors between rooms.

On the other side, I won't have:
TV or computer in the bedroom.
Visible packaging (no ketchup bottles or butter tubs on the table, no creams and lotions in their bottles and jars on the counter...)
Family photos in the living room.
Scented candles, or any candle color but creams and beeswaxes and taupes.
Motifs.

o
More

Saying "Ceiling fans are out of style" is like saying, "Heaters and a/c's are out of style."

What's one of the first things we do when it warms up, and it's always humid outside in the summer? We garden. I've planted a zillion flowers this summer, even this morning in strong humidity, sweat was literally dripping off my nose! lol. First thing I did when I came in the house to rest is turn the ceiling fan on. And get a wet washcloth, the combo is great! :)

Adding to the list:

Quilts on beds instead of frilly frilly covers.
No top sheet.
Melamine (except you can't microwave them)
Trays and tidbit trays, mostly melamine. I can't believe all the uses for them and how pretty they are in various rooms! They clean up clutter in a good way & also inexpensive.

o

Stained trim, real trim, not builder's grade
White appliances
Old heart pine wood floors, unstained
Claw-foot tubs
Single-pane, wavy-glass windows (yes, they do make a decor statement)
Chambers stoves (no SS!)

Love, but don't have:
MCM decor - not Jetson, more minimalist
White picket fences
Marmoleum

Diane

o

Ah, Diane, just a few days ago I tried to catch a picture of the morning sunlight coming through the wavy single-pane window and dancing on the wall. A photo doesn't do it justice.

IMG_0267

o

I agree with most of what's above.

white appliances
brass
ceiling fans. I would LOVE to have a big honkin chandelier in the LR but we use the ceiling fan very regular in the warmer months. DH loves it.
carpet in bedrooms. actaully I like carpet in general (enjoy running the sweeper. SHH!) but like the rich/elegant look of hardwood.
vinyl
the look of lace in moderation even though I don't have any
faux flowers and greenery. I have to really refrain from greenery!
photos out and about

o

zeebee, do you know a place on the web where I can look up how to play up dark rooms? My sitting room is a walk-through with no windows. The upper wall will be semi-dark with white bead board below. Even now with the whitish walls (pre-paint) it's still dark. I'd love to know how to do this! - Oakleyok

O.O., if you're still reading this thread, I'm always on the lookout for dark rooms. One of my favorite decorating blogs, Remodelista, had an entry on dramatic/dark rooms a while back. It's a little bit of a cheat, because the dark rooms all have windows, but what if you did a white wall or even a white piece of art where the window is?

Here is a link that might be useful: Remodelista blog on

o
RE: dark rooms

Here's another link from the same site on dark/black kitchens (scroll down a little bit).

Here is a link that might be useful: Remodelista blog -

o

-Heavily carved furniture, especially Gothic Revival!

-Practicality over aesthetics

-Medium to dark stained wood furniture, cabinets and trim with distinct grain visible... most of my furniture is oak. I even like Victorian-era golden oak. Not a big fan of the espresso finish though, or the minimal-grain woods like maple.

-Painted cabinets that are not white, black or cream

-Plain painted backsplashes. I have virtually always had them and they hold up just fine if you use a decent paint.

-Color on walls. Deep colors for dark rooms, lighter colors for bright ones. Intense color can look garish in strong light, pale ones can drab out in low light. My whole house is Antique White right now and I find it very depressing in the dimmer rooms (which is most of them).

-Wallpaper if the house style works with it (I'm looking forward to having period-appropriate wallpaper in nearly every room of this house someday)

-Vinyl floors, although I prefer tiles or planks rather than sheet.

-Doilies (particularly handmade) and lace. Eventually the living room will get lace curtains when I can afford the good stuff

-Mixed prints/patterns, although I do prefer some level of color and style cohesion

-Butcher block counters instead of stone or Corian-type synthetics. Granite and marble mining in Third World countries is an environmental and human-rights disaster. Locally quarried soapstone would be a possible exception if the budget allowed; even though I live in the Granite State there are no longer any granite quarries locally that produce granite products for interiors.

-Big artwork in small rooms

-Antiques that are just "that old thing" rather than "investments"

-Ceiling fans with lights, especially the vintagey-looking ones :-)

-Antique brass (real uncoated brass that's been allowed to tarnish, that is) and "old penny" copper (ditto)

-Shower curtains

-Plain white, non-commercial appliances

-Bookcases crammed with well-loved real paperback books that don't match, and no accessories

-Relatively low ceilings - this house has 9 foot ceilings downstairs and that is as high as I want to go

-Eggshell paint and satin (whether paint or varnish) trim

-Silk and dried flowers and plants

-Not-too-big rooms with actual doors instead of great rooms or open concept homes. I LIKE "caves"!

-Big cast-iron radiators (best thing in the world for warming towels and drying socks and mittens - wish I had them here)

-Crazy quilts and woolen blankets instead of duvets and poufy comforters

-Purple.

Oh, and I can kill hostas. :-)

o

If this thread is about what I like as opposed to the majority of people (in the country? On GW?) like, I'd have to go with

lots and lots of toile in one room
freestanding kitchen cabinets
domestic applications of industrial materials
ornate china--multiple sets, in fact
handmade over mass-produced, but no crafts.

o

johnmari - thought you'd like DD's BR set.

fullbed

dropcenterdresser

armoire

replacementknob

o

Yep! Another ceiling fan lover. Especially in the bedrooms and now I love the one in my bathroom.
Also like silk plants when they're not dripping with cobwebs
And the thing I like that most on these forums don't is carpet in the vanity area of the bathroom. Not by the tub, toilet or shower, but in the vanity area. Nice soft cushy carpet.
The thing I don't like that most seem to is ceramic tile. Hard, cold and a b@#%ch to remove. I have it in my home because it was a compromise with DH, but I hate it!

o

Great topic.

Lukkiirish: I love BRIGHT colored rooms, and only use the combo of Yellow, Green & Blue. YES! YES! YES! I love word art. So do I.

Jacy: Hostas. YEP! Planted more this weekend

Lenam: Ceiling fans. Can’t live without them. Almost every room has one. Just removed the one in the foyer. It's moving to the LR.

-Fragrant candles in votive cups
-Attic fan-nothing like a cool breeze in the south when the temps are in the low 70s
-Love deco on my walls-just the jewelry my walls need-that’s why they’re called accessories

Desertsteph: the furniture I’ve had for over 30 yrs...You betcha! Hope to have 30 more-lol!
Almond/bisque appliances-This is me—love the white

-Decorating just for me and my tastes and not what others think
-Now that I have a ceiling fan in the bathroom-what took me so long? Thanks sgt and Monica.
-Having my own style and not trying to be trendy or go with the latest fad

Nicole: Navajo white walls.-Color I used in my hall and foyer. Love it-has a yellow tone, not white at all.

-Still recycling and reusing my HODA, Home Interior and Tiara products. Some of these things I’ve had as long as some of my furniture

This is really like reminiscing. I enjoyed it.

Peachie

o

Okay, since no one else has posted it, I will admit that I have vinyl vertical blinds in all three bedrooms. I think they go well with the clean lines of our decor, let in/block out light well, and are easy to keep clean. We have pet bird, and I can just see the mess he'd make of drapes. Granted, I have plantation shutters in the living room, but I like the exterior mounted verticals over our aluminum sliders.

o

Needle point.
I have a beautiful needlepoint purple pillow that grammie
made me. I love needlepoint.

Ceiling fans I have 4 and thinking of a 5th
Mini blinds on every single window.
Chocolate instant pudding (okay I don't decorate with it but it does provide a nice treat.)
Matchy match chairs
Valances with puffy pleats and fullness to them

o

Tables and shelves full of stuff I find interesting or pretty. Lived with less, like more, more!
A comfy homey grandma home.
Not being married to anything furniture wise or accessories but my orientals and family antiques- everything else is on borrowed time if I find something I like better on CL, thrift shop or the curb.
Decorating solely with family pieces, thrift shop, Home Goods CL and curb shopped and painted items. I did buy WTs and rugs in 2000.)
Cascades and jabots for my windows with lace underneath.
Wallpaper with a border in my bedroom
Matching traditional solid cherry bedroom furniture set.
went with all white linens and towels years ago- with the exception vintage dishtowels and handtowels though.
vintage doilies hanging over the shelves in my kitchen cabinet.

o

"Guess I need to get out more and see how the rest of the world is decorated."

no! don't do that - lol! the few times i have I constantly said things like: no way, wow, who'd a thunk it? holy moses etc

"Navajo white walls.-Color I used in my hall and foyer. Love it-has a yellow tone, not white at all."

my sister did her whole santa fe style house in it. when i saw it i asked what it was .... then said 'fine, that's what i'll use. will save me a ton of thinking and hassle' -lol! it'll go in the main/open/public rooms(like anyone else is ever here), my craft/storage, the desk/book rooms. I am thinking of something else maybe for the laundry room - not sure what yet. my bdrm, bath, tv room will be colors.

"vintage doilies " - so many have mentioned those and i have a bunch packed away (from my MIL and mom). and yes, i use them also. that's another thing i look forward to when i move. my sister will probably faint tho.

ceiling fans - i don't think i ever saw one in real or in a house until I moved west in the mid 80's. they are BIG out here. i love them!

o

Just have to say it even though no one else has yet--

white ceilings--bright white even (but matte not gloss)

tried all the rest, two shades lighter, mixing in a bit of the wall color, etc..but still feels like the ceiling is closing in on me!!

Just have ceiling fans for the first time in a new (to me) house and I love them!

o

O.M.G I cannot believe what came out of the closets -- and just think I've been taking decorating advices from you ladies :-P

o

ajsmama, I'm not one for matching sets but you lucked into a really lovely set there. Beautiful tigering on the QS oak and the Art Deco elements are interesting in combination with the Victorianesque floral carvings.

profmom, I forgot the white ceilings. :-) I have exactly the same reaction as you do to not-white ceilings, I feel like I'm in a box with the lid on. A white ceiling "lifts the lid". I would say it's not a question of ceiling height, but the highest ceiling I've had was 16' and there are people here with 25+ foot ceilings, but that makes me feel more like I'm in a commercial space rather than a home. No insult to anyone intended, it's JMO. Even the 16' ceiling was uncomfortable for me. About the only time I like a not-white and high ceiling (10-12') is in an over-the-top Victorian home with lavishly wallpapered ceilings (here's a gorgeous example), but I can pretty much guarantee you I'll never live in one of those. :-) Oh, and commercial settings with tin ceilings in a silver or copper finish, but in homes I prefer tin ceilings to be white. The most not-white I've ever gone for a ceiling that didn't get promptly painted over is C2 Cricket White, which is a white with the teensiest traces of tan and gray that doesn't even show up as not quite pure white until something like Super White is placed right next to it - it emulated the color of old plaster quite well. "Ceiling white" can be a little cold sometimes, since it tends to have a slightly bluish undertone, but there are what seems like a gazillion shades of white out there to use even before getting into the actual off-whites. Although we were quite happy with Glidden's ceiling white when we used it to spiff up the ceilings when we were selling our previous house (it was on a 30%-off sale in 5 gallon buckets LOL), because it's not quite as cool as other ceiling whites.

o

On re-reading this, I wonder how much of what we like (and that some mysterious others don't) is based on what we can afford.

o

So many of my 'loves' are already on here!

- Tiles! Intensely colored tiles, tiles with embossed textures or designs, sheer crackle glazes, slightly irregular handmade tiles. Nothing can carry a fabulous intense color like ceramics.
- Silk shantung. Possibly the only material that can rival tile for color intensity.
- Rumpled, sun-faded faded linen and leather. Antique linens and GOOD Lace! If it can melt, it's not good lace.
- Rooms with dark-painted walls and lots of gorgeous stuff in them, family heirlooms and pieces with history.
- Incandescent light with a golden 'candlelight' tint that makes everything seem more romantic and homey.
- Brass, bronze, copper, silver with a natural patina, not coated with plastic or poly!
- Brick floors.
- No breakfast nooks! Actually USING the formal dining room, and having it sturdy enough and informal enough to feel friendly, but beautiful enough to make dinner an event.
- Silver napkin rings with cloth napkins. (They don't have to match.)
- Grasscloth wallpaper
- Pine cones in wooden bowls or large baskets

o

* Posted by ideefixe (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 13, 09 at 12:53

On re-reading this, I wonder how much of what we like (and that some mysterious others don't) is based on what we can afford.

Not many can afford what once was considered tops or the best out there. How many can afford total marble floors, walls, real silk draperies all over the home with ornate hand-woven tapestry, pasamentry, pearls and stones dripping from their every crease, real rosewood and cherry furniture, ornately carved-by-hand furnishings, real silver spoons and forks, knives (not silver plated) 18K-24K gold teeth crowned in porcelain, blue diamond quality rings and gold platinum bracelets. Not many. We pick and choose what we can from what we can and that is all we can and if we can do more, then do more. It's our choice or maybe the choice of our lender/banker.

I think in this country, in the current economy, only the current President and First Lady of our White House will be able to afford the best of food, travel, decor and other luxuries.

o

I love well done, sincere, sweet amateur art of all kinds. Painting, woodwork, needlework, etc. --I've found some amazing things, even if they say "made by Agnes Teeter, 1974" or something like that on the backs :) Such good energy! Completely disdained by snobs.

o
ps RE: What do you like in decorating when most don't?

Oh, and re the 'what we can afford' line: that may be so in my case, in that I find these things at Goodwill and I don't have to sweat buying anything I like there, BUT I honestly do prefer a well-done amateur piece to an average "investment" kind of professional piece, just for the good energy, sincerity, and love that is infused in it/with which it is infused (but I'd never say that, that's too anal ;)).

o

Hmm, I'd have to say that a very great deal of what I like I can't afford. :)

o

Off white walls with contrasting dark stained wood trim, doors and windows

accessories from antique stores or purchased traveling - no Home Goods, et al for me (not that there's anything wrong with it for others ;) )

no carpet anywhere

faux flowers when made of materials to mimic nature - no plastic or unnatural colors

pet hair - means I have pets to love and love me back

I'm careful not to have many matching pairs of chairs/lamps. Don't buy matching furniture sets.

no small appliances on kitchen counter - located in pantry or seldom used are within easy reach

rug under breakfast room table

handpainted vintage plates in bathroom over vanity :) (from a previous thread)

o

I would say I'm split between liking things that I can afford and things that I can't, but I can't say that I like something because it's in my budget that I wouldn't like if I could afford "better". For instance, I have champagne tastes when it comes to wallpaper (handprinted, please - I take my folder of Bradbury & Bradbury samples out every so often just to fondle them LOL) and lace curtains (Scottish or Nottingham lace, ideally). Most of the "carved-to-death" antique furniture I like is too much for my pocket, as is good heavy uncoated brass hardware and lighting that will age properly. Although I can live contentedly with $79 ceiling fans, I always seem to fall in love with the $500 *choke* ones. OTOH, a plain painted backsplash is probably the cheapest possible way to go, but I like it because it's what I've almost always had all my life and I just prefer its simplicity over busy tiled backsplashes; I like vinyl flooring for its practicality as well as its price, although the high-end vinyls can cost as much as hardwood! Butcherblock counters are cheaper than granite and I love how functional they are, but they're usually a good bit more expensive than laminate (well, except for Ikea's butcherblock counters). I don't dislike the commercial appliances that are so much in style now because they're expensive, but because I've put in my time in commercial kitchens and I've had enough of looking at those things. The white appliances I like aren't always necessarily cheap - restored vintage Chambers, Wedgewood and O'Keefe & Merritt stoves are seriously spendy and I will probably never have one! But I can still lust after them.

o

Mari, I'm going to scan a few photos from the Summer issue of New Old House for you tomorrow. Dishy Details article features a Maine kitchen with a 1933 Magic Chef stove and a vintage Frigidaire icebox - both are HUGE and gorgeous!

o

Someone mentioned affordability.....Paint is cheap! When someone mentions liking white walls or a white ceiling....that's NOT a money issue. Most of us on this forum sew. We could "sew" silk curtains if we wanted them....right....or buy items that were NOT polished brass. I think people here are making conscious decisions based on what they truly like! No one here is saying they like one designer or name brand better than another.....that may become a money issue and would not belong on this thread....lol :0)

o

I like some looks that many do not like. For instance, I like lots of decorative pillows, lots of wall art, more stuff in a room than some people have. Those bare staged homes shown on tv are not the way I decorate my house.

o

Here is what I like that most people don't:

*family room furniture with no prints just nice neural colors

* neutral walls (my favorite walls in my home are BM Bone White, BM Navajo White & now I like the Ralph Lauren Deep Cream walls after I added the sheers) with bright white trim

*wood floors or wood laminate floors

*Simple Sheer horizontal blinds with no curtains and no drapes

*Cherry or Maple or Mahogany or White furniture that does not have a lot of grain showing. But I have seen some quality oak furniture that is beautiful. I lived with golden oak bedroom sets my whole life so I just got tired of oak but now that I have a maple set with a sand white painted look to it, I am starting to appreciate quality oak again.

*Neutral tiled foyers even if the rest of the home has pretty hardwood flooring.

Bedspreads or comforters with no flowers or stripes on them. I found out despite falling in love with a comforter that had flowers all over it, I could not fall asleep with it on my bed and needed a neutral comforter like I have now that is shades of ivory

Bright White Ceilings along with Bright white trim and doors

Silk flower arrangements when they look real

clocks everywhere

o

Girly decor....floral fabrics and the color pink!

o

- Tiles! Intensely colored tiles, tiles with embossed textures or designs, sheer crackle glazes, slightly irregular handmade tiles. Nothing can carry a fabulous intense color like ceramics.
- Silk shantung. Possibly the only material that can rival tile for color intensity.

I agree!!!!!!!!!! And have said the very same thing, many times!

o

Rooms that are tasteful and calm. I get enough drama in daily life; I don't need more of it in my decorating.

Knotty pine paneling

Me too. A good thing since my house has it (solid wood!) in three rooms.

o

'I would say I'm split between liking things that I can afford and things that I can't, but I can't say that I like something because it's in my budget that I wouldn't like if I could afford "better" '

I agree... I do think some of the things we've posted that we like can come expensive...or cheaper. not everyone who goes after a bargain does it because they can't afford to pay full price etc. I remember my very wealthy MIL having dh come over to glue down a kitchen tile - many times. her 'white' refridge was yellow because it was over 20 yrs old (and still working so she wouldn't replace it).
I used to tease them that the rich were rich because they didn't spend their money! lol! she loved a bargain. Her house was furnished with mostly furniture from her mother's house and her mIL's house. Now I have that furniture - and love it or I wouldn't have kept it! A lot of the things I have I couldn't afford to buy at full price but if I didn't have what I do I'd be out finding like bargains at garage sales, estate sales, goodwill etc.
it doesn't necessarily cost a lot to have / use real silver. you can find it at the goodwill, antique shops, 2nd hand shops etc. very cheaply. I always think it's such a bargain that I should buy some...then I remember how much I have now (more than I can use really) and laugh at myself. my MIL had her set, her mother's set and her MIL's set! now i have them all. plus my silverplate and stainless!

probably more because it's what we grew up with (what our parens /gparents could afford) and it makes us feel comfortable. and maybe sometimes because it's what we couldn't afford back when and liked and now we can afford it so that's what we go for...

i could surely afford to sell all of these antiques and buy what's out there now but why? I like what I have and don't have the need to have 'new' just because it's new. i haven't bought much in the line of furnishings over the yrs - but if i see something i like (within reason) I buy it and merge in with what i have. that's what I'll be doing with bookcases this next yr - I have 3 or 4 old ones but i need more. i have a lot of books to unbox. If I see a good deal at goodwill or somewhere i'll buy it - otherwise I'll look at 2nd hand shops etc - because that's where i'm more likely to find what i like.

o

Things I like that not so many other people do...

Mission brown. I have fond memories of this color in the house I grew up in.

Curtains in gaudy floral prints. However I don't use them with other matching soft furnishings as per the 80's.

Stark white.

Laminate counter tops, in particular ones that are patterned in abstract patterns. Reminds me of grandma.

As for whether my budget influences what I like, well I'm very much on a low budget and yet I've got a lot of choices available to me and of my wide range of choices the stuff I like is the stuff I like. I think maybe those with a high budget don't quite realize exactly how much choice people working on a low budget have, and the reason they don't realize is they have never really tried to shop that cheaply. There is in most cases a similar aesthetic choice available at a lower price.

o

I like a lot of what has already been listed so I will not repeat those items but there are a few more that I really, really like, such as:

Americana items. They are no longer in my family room, but
I could not give them up completely and put most in the laundry room.

Mis matched bedroom furniture, well mismatched furniture in all roooms

Handmade quilts

White tableware

Small crocheted doilies used for coasters

Decorative paintings on furniture

o

I think what "most people like" is something completely different from what is presented editorially in magazines and television as a representation of "what people like".

Excluding regional magazines, you are going to see what designers are doing on the east and west coasts, Chicago, and isolated other areas that have a certain amount of "resort" or "second home" presence.

On top of this there are great regional variations in what people like based upon what "works" in that area.

Another thing that plays into what we see in magazines and on TV is the "extrovert" factor or what designers are getting (or need to get) attention. There are lots of beautiful comfortable houses you are never going to see because the owners would rather burn it down than let a bunch of people invade and take pictures. Likewise, there is a certain amount of vulgar stuff you are going to see because it was done by or belongs to "lookamee lookamee!! types.

I happen to think that much of what gets in the local magazines here is pretty bad. (Think of a combination of the Vatican + a wh*rehouse, or the movie BeetleJuice, thats a lot of what I seem to see, when I bother to look).
I understood this a lot better when I saw the house of the editor.(o_O)

Nonetheless, there are a lot of nice interiors around here that will never be seen by the public. For a fairly major city, it does not get a lot of representation in national design magazines. I can remember two or three layouts in Architectural Digest over the last twenty years, (not that AD represents at all what most people like): Both houses were quite nice, one had a measly little layout where one of the rooms was repeated twice...and I saw the photos from the whole shoot, they missed the boat. The other layout was all about the art collection and they made a point of saying the building the condo was in was hideous and the apartment had to compensate for the horrible architecture. (They never say that about NY buildings).

So when I read this list about what people like that most people Don't...a lot of the items seem to be things that most people DO like. We just don't see it in magazines.

o

Not ot hijack the thread, but I never think of shelter mags as presenting what "most people" like. That's why I'm a little confused--don't most people in the country like white walls and stained trim and white appliances? You sure see a lot of those.

There's a big divide between what designers and magazine editors like and what everyday people like. I guess I thought this was about what we liked that the majority of our friends/neighbors/acquaintances don't care for, rather than how GW posters differ from magazine editors.

I mean, based on results--many people seem to like new builds, great rooms, and oak kitchens. Not me.

o

Well people in GW are particularly interested in design when a lot of friends/neighbors/acquaintances may be less so. You could get into all sorts of contextual arguments about who "most people" refers to...others in GW? people in your neighborhood? the US at large?

I am not sure that many people like new builds, great rooms or oak kitchens particularly...that gets into the point that someone brought up earlier about whether we have certain things because we can afford them. There are many things that I LIKE in design that I will never have.

People live in new builds, with stained woodwork (white, by a landslide in my part of the country)oak cabinets and great rooms because in many parts of the country that is what they can afford to buy in whatever new development or rehab they can afford . Custom builds do not often reflect this because there is more available. Design is definitely manipulated by what is available. The general public did not create the french door refrigerator because they like it. It was created *first and Then the general public decided they liked it (or don't, whatever the case may be)

o

I officially admit to my love of Danish Modern colors: chocolate brown and burnt orange and dark yellow. Teak wood. Ferns. Spun copper. Old Dansk kitchenware.

I LOVE AVOCADO APPLIANCES. There. I said it. :-)

o

Hey bronwynsmom, no visible packaging at all? Even during breakfast? What about the Tabasco sauce? :)

One thing I like that I haven't seen yet. A fridge with a single door, no ice water dispenser. I prefer water at room temp or straight out of the tap anyway. Mine is white and has magnets holding up old photos, postcards, yellowed Calvin & Hobbes strips, and quirky stuff I can't explain.

o

"Mine is white and has magnets holding up old photos, postcards, yellowed Calvin & Hobbes strips, and quirky stuff I can't explain."

Ha! My last one had some yellowed Calvin & Hobbes next to a slightly less yellowed Zits, where the son was telling his father to *get over* the demise of C & H. :)

o

circuspeanut, I'm SO there with you -- just thought that since they were in 'vogue' right now (heading out, since Target has them), they wouldn't count. I often wonder why I like them so much -- guess it has to do with the connection to nature. Anything connected to nature (non-hunting) has an automatic pass into this home :)

o

How interesting!
I do not know how I missed reading this posting earlier.
2 years ago we decided to start a 5 yr kitchen update-Money not a great issue. Naturally all thought we'd go for new kitchen cabinets, granite countertops and S. Steel appliances: old cabinets were in great shape-handmade but a maple finish with a white wash-1960/s Uck!
After visiting the big lot "home" stores and going to home shows-trouble. It had NOTHING to do with affordability- Our handmade cabinets are so strong, sturdy, plus I wanted to give our kitchen the right look for a 80 year old craftsman cottage.
Results after 3 years:
Painted black kitchen cabinets, pewter pulls
valance-toil black and cream-
WHITE appliances-Yes a white, w/o ice or water in door-just a refig/freezer on top-no vintage look, just new, plain appliances
next year new flat top cooktop-Jen Air-replacing old-may have to be black but will be ok, new wall oven is
new counter tops-laminent-mult color
IT sure does not look like the deco. magazines but it is a wow and we love it and I think our house does too.
Other things we do:
doilies-handmade
wood trim
wood floors-pine no less
valances
quilts!!! everywhere, walls, over sofas, on beds
verticle blinds-linen-pull back and let the sun shine in
American in the entry way
Very little matchy/matchy but it all goes together
Silk plants, need the green but not enough nat. light-
sm. appliances in the pantry shelves not on countertops
wall art: oringals by various friends and family
Old vintage frames
antique furniture-some old family pieces, other from antique stores, flea markets, garage sales

o

That's right, Linelle...even at breakfast!

The cereal box and the bread bag go right back in the cabinet, the milk goes back in the fridge; the coffee milk or cream goes in a little pitcher, the butter goes on a little plate, the jam goes into a wee Chinese sauce bowl...

...and, although I didn't mention it, white cloth napkins with old sterling napkin rings, a different one for each of us, so we know which is ours. They get washed when they need it, but usually make it through at least three meals.

However...about the Tabasco...it can be on a drinks tray on the sideboard with a napkin under it, along with the Worcestershire, IF we're making bloody Marys, or having something for dinner that gets assembled as part of service, but only because you can only use it in dashes right from the bottle. The horseradish and everything else have to go in a dish.

It's just one of those things that makes me feel rich, so I'm willing to go to the trouble! It also justifies keeping all the zillions of little china dishes and silver spoons and forks that I love - all the stuff that has funneled its way to me from many generations of Southern women.

o

I like pastel colors - all those Easter shades of pink, blue, green and yellow.

I like antiqued brass, but also like polished brass. I have polished brass lamps in my bedroom and I really like the way they brighten the room (even when not lit.)

I have a lot of my dd's art framed (she just turned 10.) And it is in the dining and living rooms.

I have family photos in the living room - all in silver frames on the piano. Oh, and I have other art in gold colored frames and antique brass light fixtures and lamps, as well as some copper, all in the same room.

I really love my tile counters (except for the hokey accent tiles.)

I don't have SS appliances but am considering them, as I need a new fridge and dishwasher. I like the look. I also like colored appliances but can't afford them.

I like some vinyl floors and hate others (I particularly dislike my own kitchen floor.) Someone (KGW?) has a gorgeous vinyl tile floor.

I like a simple bed - just a bedspread, no extra pillows, dust ruffles, etc.

I like houseplants; I have terrariums and bonsai and all sorts of things. I'm not sure if this is popular or not?

Would prefer to have no TV in any room, but dh & dd disagree - so it lives down in the man cave (dd's music studio.)

Bronwynsmom - I also hate anything with a label and take everything out and put it in canisters.

I was going to say I like white walls and ceilings, but apparently that is about 50/50 - neither in nor out.

I really like incense - the scent of Nag Champa makes me feel right at home.

o

I like painted woodwork. I mean painted in colors other than white. I grew up in a house with cream/beige walls or wallpaper, with french blue trim. It was nice. I like how the colonial houses had different colored woodwork in each room, ranging from green to mustard to cranberry. Country Home featured a house that had French Canadian style, in which the woodwork and furniture was painted in lots of different bright colors. I loved it!

o

"I also hate anything with a label and take everything out and put it in canisters"

Two products whose labels I love: Clabber Girl baking powder (I hope they never, ever update their label, Hershey's cocoa.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clabber Girl baking powder

o

My daughter's lime green walls- like being trapped inside an avocado.

And our bedroom walls-like the inside of a Tiffany box :)

Finally, using chalkboard for our kitchen backsplash. The whole house has turned into a playroom.

o

I like decorating and remodeling your home in the way you want to live whether you spend too much for the neighborhood or not. If you like it and can afford it, go for it, you only live once. So what you have granite or stone in your kitchen when your neighbors have laminate and vinyl. If you want it buy it. Enjoy your life!

o

Bronwynsmom--my husband is very New England prep, and we have no labels on the table. Salt in a dish, ketchup in a dish and Triscuits on a plate as the Preppy Handbook says. People think we're weird.

o

Love this post. The things I like that don't appear to be too popular these days: smaller rooms (nada to open floor plans. I am puzzled why people buy or build an open floor plan house and then spend countless hours trying to figure out how to partition the living spaces with furniture arrangements or paint...the best partitions are called walls), ceiling fans, stenciling, butcher block counters, regular white kitchen appliances, colorful wall tile (like Mexican talavera or similar), use of saturated (but not neon) colors in textiles and paint (thank you Aunt Jen), shower curtains (much easier to keep clean by throwing in the washer), top loading clothes washers, clothes lines for letting the wind and sun dry and sanitize sheets and towels, and the well-nigh indestructible series of Knock-Out roses for landscaping color.

o

I guess splashy & colorful floral prints on sofas & upholstered chairs. I know the "decorating mantra" seems to be to keep colors to a neutral in the large upholstered furniture items, and use colors in accessories such as throw pillows, table nic-nacs etc. etc. so you can "change them out" easily when you tire of them. I'm lucky in that once I fall in love with a particular floral print, I just dont tire of it. As I've mentioned before, I only rarely redecorate.

The other unpopular thing I like is solid color area rugs on top of hardwood flooring. Although I like oriental rugs "in theory", I just never run across any that I really like "in practice".

o

Old houses
Lots of small rooms (how else can you get away from other people!)
Color
Formica countertops (or maybe butcherblock)
Plain normal fridge tho I'd love to paint it an outré color unfortunately regular paint doesn't stick well and appliance paint only comes in boring colors.
The old bathrooms with colored sinks, toilets and matching tile. I don't have one but it makes me so sad when they rip a well designed one in good condition out on a tv program.
Vinyl floors in the bathroom
Normal shower head (just one)
Bathroom adequate in size but not huge
Roller shades, plastic ok
Minimalist window treatments if any
Colored doors not necessarily the same color as surrounding trim
A little bit of wildness (I can appreciate and enjoy lovely neutral uncluttered spaces but don't really want one!)
fun post
Outdoors: Lots of flowers, a cacophony really, plus hostas; imperfect lawn that doesn't have to be mowed as much; glass, concrete, and mosaic stuff in garden.
kathy

o

Hmmm. I painted our white 20-year old refrigerator doors several years ago & they have held up fine. Ours is so old that only the refrig & freezer doors are pebble-textured; the sides & top are smooth. Nowadays they pebble-texture everything.

I used two coats of an oil primer & two finish coats of BM high gloss oil in a medium tan. The rest of the refrigerator cabinet is the untouched white. Our wood painted kitchen cabinets are pure gloss white-framed, with doors & drawers using the same tan paint. The pebble texture on the refrigerator is nice as there are no brush marks & looks like it was sprayed on.

o

Such an interesting read.

Postum's post reminds me of my like for Nag Champa scent but since my DH hates the smoke of incense I don't burn it. Instead store it in the hutch which smells wonderful.

o

Hmmm. I painted our white 20-year old refrigerator doors several years ago & they have held up fine. Ours is so old that only the refrig & freezer doors are pebble-textured; the sides & top are smooth. Nowadays they pebble-texture everything.

I used two coats of an oil primer & two finish coats of BM high gloss oil in a medium tan. The rest of the refrigerator cabinet is the untouched white. Our wood painted kitchen cabinets are pure gloss white-framed, with doors & drawers using the same tan paint. The pebble texture on the refrigerator is nice as there are no brush marks & looks like it was sprayed on.

o

Yesterday I went out to lunch w/ my g/fs and I asked them this question. This is their list (of things loved by some but abhor by others)

-- fuzzy toilet seat cover & toilet bib. (one wants to know why they don't make them in sheep skin-that would be the ultimate in comfort ).

-- plastic flowers
-- jar of potpouri in the bathroom
-- pink flamingos in the yard
-- iron bed in the middle of the yard as planting bed
-- Old broken sinks or toilet as planters
-- Yard 'art'
-- 101 wind chimes in the yard
-- Edward scissorhand landscape - plants carved into drumsticks & meatballs & shiskabobs
-- Peeling & more shabby than chic furniture
-- Cabbage roses everywhere (bedding, wallpaper, etc.)
-- Ruffles everywhere
-- Shells encrusted furniture & objects (mirror, bust of female w/ shells for headdress, etc.)
-- Velour & velvet on victorian furniture (maybe some nailhead for extra bling)
-- Totally DTM (dye to match) accessories (candles that match the soaps that match the towels that match the wall that matches the curtain that match the tile, etc...)
-- Tuscany style not in a Tuscany house, faux plaster
-- MCM, avocado, faux Eames.
-- Industrial objects like ob-gyn or dental chairs used as furnishing.
-- Stuffed animals' head or stuffed dead animals.
-- Animals' body parts as furnishing (leather, fur, hide..)
-- Use of strange material as wallpaper or wallcovering (i.e. tobacco leaves, plastic or metal sheets, grass, mud, etc.)
-- Mirror on ceiling, walls of mirror.
-- Plastic shower curtains
-- Accent walls
-- fake eco grass instead of lawn
-- Ducks & geese wallpaper, valances, everywhere.
-- Rooster in the kitchen.
-- Chicken wire on cabinet doors
-- Matching toile everywhere.
-- Religious objects & statues in nonreligious places (Buddha in garden, bedroom, bathroom, etc.)
-- Plug-in air freshener
-- Candles everywhere
-- Round-the-world decor (every room a different style from different continent)

We were laughing so hard. Thought I would share -- decorating is a lot more fun when we don't take it too seriously. :-)

o

Pine furniture. Split between European antiques and reproduction (that unfortunately turns kinda orange, except for my older Pennyslvania House dresser that still looks pretty good)

o

de Gournay, Zuber, or Paul Montgomery Studios scenic or panoramic wallpapers. Won't ever be able to afford it, but I like it a lot.

o

I love vintage swag lamps, especially with colored glass covers.

I also love shower curtains like several have already mentioned.

I like to decorate with clothes...scarves as table runners or covers, printed skirts or tops wrapped around lamp shades.

o

Doilies and table cloths
Toile
Old wood furniture, lovingly polished over the years and handed down to me!
Pictures on the piano
Original art on the walls with no well known signatures
Food in serving dishes including condiments (how else can I justify my dishaholicism?)
Meals at the table (grandkids scowl, but LOVE having their own fancy dishes and cups, so it gets me off the hook :^)
White appliances, the plainer the better including top load washing machine and plain ol' dryer.
Formica or butcher block on the counters
Hammered aluminum cookware

o

I did a search and did not find these but they may be in here.
As mentioned coloured appliances but also coloured bathroom fixtures.
Coloured sofas and furniture.
Black carpet in a reckroom or living room or bedroom.
Black or close to black hardwood floors.
Irridescent blue tiles for backsplash in kitchen.
Tiger and wolf plates hung on the wall.
Small kitchens. After two weeks of hobbling around with a cane,my dream kitchen will not be the big one I thought I wanted.
And pretty much anything eggplant coloured in any tone or tint or shade, especially glass and furniture.

o

White roller shades and lace or sheer panels. Have had both on most windows for almost 2 decades and still love the look.

Florals, large and small, mixed with other patterns like checks and dots.

Pine furniture, painted furniture, chippy and distressed - all the better.

Quilts and needlework - on display and in open armoires and cupboards.

Bare wood floors. A few small rugs in front of kitchen sink, laundry sink, bathroom sink are ok.

Inset, unadorned cabinets. Open shelves with everyday dishes - so easy and quick to get what you need.

Chenille, especially my white chenille bedspread. Washes and dries beautifully.

Whimsy! Every home needs a little of it. : )

o

angelclub, I also love bare wood floors and plan to not put area rugs on my new hardwood flooring when it is installed. I only want a mat to wipe the feet by the door, a rug in front of the sink in my kitchen and a rug in front of my sliding door.

o

Ditto...ceiling fans and sliding doors,
Florals...have to have some in every room,
Neutral walls...love looking at color in everyone else's homes but I'm going thru a neutral phase,
Oak...yup, still have oak furniture in my home,
Mixing styles...bit of everything thrown in!

o

OMG, Bumblebeez, I didn't realize having the masterbedroom open to your family room was a flaw! When we bought our house I absolutely loved the custom floor plan. The master bedroom is right off of the main floor living room (which we use all the time). One of the reasons I love it is because I always tidy my bedroom and have a bedroom set and antique vanity that I love and I love to keep the door open.

One design no-no that I love is natural brick fireplaces, no paint for me, no sir.

Here is a link that might be useful: public view of bedroom

o

I know a lot of people are going to throw up but I use coasters. I don't like it but I use them. Grrrrrrrrrrr!

....Jane

o

I like mixing modern/contemporary with rustic elements. I think a lot of people just think I don't know how to match things, lol.

o

--Mirrored walls and closet doors (go ahead--stone me!)
--Ceiling fans
--Shower curtains instead of glass doors
--1950s bathrooms with 2-tone tile, black/pink, jade/gray, etc.
--My pedestrian plastic WaterPik hand-held showerhead (love it!)
--Plain refrigerators w/ freezer on top and nothing (no water/ice) on the door
--Ordinary bathroom tile used in a kitchen backsplash
--Formica counters
--My microwave on the counter
--Hard floors (no carpet, ever!) in order of preference: wood > ceramic > laminate > vinyl
--Windows w/out treatments other than the minimum needed for privacy or climate control

o

Nessie, what a pretty bed and bedspread you have! I hope there are lots of people like you around when we sell our house some day!
But that was my thought too, I want everyone to see my beautiful bedroom....my builder thought I was nuts to even make the bed everyday.

o

Natural slate floors. We have multicolor Indian slate floor tiles in our kitchen, sunroom, mudroom and powder room with all the slight unevenness and variation of natural stone. They are very rustic but wonderful, will be great once we have them sealed. Can you believe the actual tile place we bought from didn't want to sell us the slate? They kept giving us recommendations of vinyl with a slate look (not the same).

We also did opt to go with carpet in our bedrooms, although we have hardwood and slate throughout the downstairs and upstairs halls. We had hardwood bedrooms in our old house, love the look but really like the comfort of having carpet in bedrooms to kick back and relax. Quieter and easier for the kids toys too. We do take our shoes off in the house, to keep them clean.

Amy

o

Jane, why would people throw up over using coasters? I have several nice sets (mostly from ebay), including some stone ones with fossils in them, hand-carved wood, tooled leather, miniature Oriental rugs. It gets so humid here in the summer that a beverage glass will sweat a big puddle all over a table, and the hot mugs we slurp from all winter long make nasty marks on wood, and the rough bottoms of handthrown pottery can scratch something fierce. DH pretty much wrecked the top of his ~150yo Victorian nightstand leaving a cup of hot coffee on the unprotected surface, I could have killed him because now I'm going to have to fix it. (I had glass tops cut for them when I first bought them, but I hate the "clank" sound of something like a glass or mug being put down on a glass surface, and that glass is a dust magnet.) Most of our tables are antique in the sense of "old stuff" rather than "valuable" but it doesn't mean I still think it's okay to trash them. I'm not one of those people who scurries around sticking coasters under people's drinks when we have people over though, that's just rude IMO.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here