Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Best Ben Moore white for laundry room cabs for historical look

threeapples
11 years ago

Our house is a Georgian style and the laundry room has two large windows. I have not chosen a floor for the room yet, but have a large fireclay sink, wall mount faucet, and want the wood cabinets to be painted white (I think). But, I'm looking through the benjamin moore fan deck (this is the brand the cabinet company uses for paint) and cannot decide which white is good for cabinets. thanks!

Comments (16)

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Try Lancaster Whitewash, or Monterey White. Both are elegant, subdued whites, with a very neutral ground.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

We use Lily of the Valley (#905 or 906, I think) for all our woodwork and cabineys. It is a rich, creamy white rather than a bright or stark white and we have yet to find a wall color with which it does not look good.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Another sample to look at is Mascarpone.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just emailed the cabinet guy and told him simply white. Was that a mistake? I'll look at these other great suggestions.

• denali2007
    11 years ago

Acadia white is also nice it's a creamy white.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Threeapples, if you're going for "historical," Simply White may not give you the effect you're after. I vote for Bone White. If that's too dark for the room, then Linen White.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Stinky's choices are also good - Bone White has an almost khaki undertone, while Linen White has the palest whisper of yellow.

• cocokey
    11 years ago

BM White dove is what I used on my kitchen cabinets for a "period look"

• pensivern
    11 years ago

I love "ancient ivory", no yellow, brown, or grey under tones; just soft and perfect!

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

My kitchen cabs are painted Simply White. I don't think of the color was vintage-y or antique-y.

{{!gwi}}

White Dove is used often by folks trying to create the "timeless kitchen" look. I'd also look at Cotton Balls, which is creamier with more yellowish undertones than SW and more antique to me. SW is pure white with a few drops of black.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I also like China White, just to confuse the issue.

It is still available but I think it is not in the decks because China White is slang for fentanyl, or for refined heroin.

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

Pal, I'm almost *positive* China White has another name. I'll try to remember to look it up when I'm at work tomorrow.

While I like Simply White, it seems too 'white' to be a historical white. Pure whites are a fairly recent thing. How historical are we talking?

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

China White = Seapearl

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info Jessica. Isn't that's so silly? They could've really gotten cute and just re-named it White China!

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

Nah, Stinky, I'm sure they're saving 'white china' for an entirely different color, to maximize the confusion, like with White Cloud and Cloud White. :p

At least China White just has one alternative name, thus far! Edgecomb Gray is also known as Alaskan Skies and Baby Fawn.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

It's those drunk, stoned pixies again...have to keep the little darlings employed!