Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn237

DIY - I need help re: large bulletin board

Lyban zone 4
11 years ago

I have seen the following bulletin board on Pottery Barn . It measures 48 by 36 but at 201.00 canadian plus shipping I think I will have to attemp to make it. It is covered by a piece of linen fabric. I am not quite sure what to put under the fabric. There are so many talented people on here that I thought that someone could give me ideas.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (12)

• J M
    11 years ago

Homosote -- it comes in 4x8 sheets at the hardware store. If you can't find it at the big box stores, try a local store. I used a drop cloth to cover an entire sheet, so I have a pin board that is awesomely huge!

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Demolitionlab,
    Thanks for the reply. One problem is I have tried to find honosote in Canada before and have never had any luck. I just spent the lady 30 min. Googling it and nothing comes up for Canada except people complaining about not finding it here. I wonder why...

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

Try hoMosote instead of hoNosote.

I have muslin-covered homosote in my kitchen.... makes a great bulletin board!

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That was just a typo mistake.
    A lot of people here cannot find it, maybe it goes by a different name.
    I will keep looking.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Try "fiberboard" and see what happens.

Homasote is the product generically known as cellulose based fiber wall board,

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

It is actually Homasote. I bought it years ago at Lowe's but neither they nor Home Depot carry it any more (at least in my area). A local building supplier has something they called "sound board" that they were using for a bulletin board.
    I found a blog where they used those pink foam insulation panels for a bulletin board

Here is a link that might be useful: Homasote

• Jodi_SoCal
    11 years ago

I just looked up Homasote at Home Depot and there are 51 possible choices, none of which look soft enough to be bulletin board-like. Is there a specific type I need to loo for?

Jodi-

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I have also used foil-backed foam insulation board - very light.
    I just wrap it in linen and duct tape it to the back.

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great news... I think I found homosote in the Montreal area. It is about 45 min. From me and I would have to buy a sheet at 30.00 but it would be 48 by 96 so I could use the balance for other projects.
    Now before I commit to this, if I cut out my piece by 48 by 36 inches, and just lay my linen fabric on top, can I then staple the fabric into the back of the homosote or do I need to add a backing.
    Thanks

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Be careful to cut the board perfectly square - put a fresh blade in your knife and stroke repeatedly until it goes through. Otherwise you can get chunky bits on the sides.

I'd back it with a piece of heavy muslin or drapery lining - cut it an inch bigger than the board in both dimensions, press a 1" hem all the way around, and either hot glue or staple it in place after your linen is attached.

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks browynsmom. That sounds like an easy project.

• luckygal
    11 years ago

In Canada it's called Donnacona board.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler