Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20106402

Help me find narrow, functional nightstands

User
15 years ago

As you can see in my first photo, there is a problem! Actually, I have quite few snags that could use some help, but as I'm new to posting here, I'll start out slow. This is our second home in the mountains of southwestern NC. We completed a renovation of the kitchen area and the master bedroom more than two years ago, but the process of updating the furnishings has been impeded by the limited time we are able to spend there. Much to our surprise, we ended up without enough wall space for our existing Bob Timberlake bedroom suite. We had an architect who was creative but not practical and we stupidly didnÂt have a designer review the plans. Losing the dresser was not a problem, as we were able to add drawer space to the walk in closet, but we had to switch out our furniture for a more narrow Shaker-style set from a guest bedroom (those are the nightstands) while we looked for a solution. We recently found this headboard and bench and were able to retire the pencil post bed. Now we need to find some nightstands 16 to 17 inches wide, preferably with a drawer or cabinet. The last time that we were there, I did find some that were the right style, but not well made. They were a Euro-style faux painted sort of a half-drum with a drawer and cabinet below, but the fittings were not aligned and stable. I would also like to replace the table between the two chairs with something smaller and round. Any suggestions?

Here is what the rest of the room looks like:

Comments (35)

• jlsch
    15 years ago

I actually like the ones you currently have in place, however I mainly wanted to say how much I love your space! I love your style and find the space very welcoming.

• yayagal
    15 years ago

What a beautiful home!!!! I love all the windows. I agree the ones you have are okay but a teeny bit out of proportion with the bed. Here's a site where I've found odd sized tables. Maybe you can find something.

http://www.homedecorators.com/

• tradewind_64
    15 years ago

n1cf2, I don't have an answer for your nightstand question, but I have to echo how gorgeous your home is. I adore all the natural light you have.

Couple of questions, if I may: Are the window bumpouts (the ones with a conservatory type appearance) metal commercial windows? And are any of them open-able?

Lovely, lovely space you have!

Joanna

• redbazel
    15 years ago

I love the bed you chose, and your wall color is wonderful. What is it? Don't know about the nightstands, do you absolutely need one on each side?

Your chair fabric is luscious. I looked and looked, but cannot figure out why you want to replace that table? Your lamp is round and the square folding table provides just the right offset to the round lamp and the rounded lines of the chairs. I can't quite make out what color the legs are, but maybe just use a darkening stain on the table legs to give that table a little more visual 'heft' and I thnk you will be quite all right.

Your views and whole room are quite lovely!

Red

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh my! Thanks to all of you for your complements, comments and suggestions.
    To yayagal: Thanks for the link. I will follow up on it.
    To Joanna: The window structures that you see in the bedroom alcove and the bathroom were engineered by Florian Solar Products in Georgetown, SC (see link below). We also used them to convert an outside sundeck into a sunroom to extend the living space around the kitchen and dining room. The windows in the bedroom and bathroom do no open (there are casement windows next to the bed as well as French doors); the sunroom has two windows that open on each wall.
    To Red: The wall color in the bedroom is SW Livable Green; the wall color in the bathroom is BM Parchment. I originally liked the table because of the reasons that you stated. After I purchased it, I became concerned that its width seemed to make the fit with the chairs in that space appear crowded. I thought that a smaller round lamp table would fit into the space better. Hmmm...

If you have any interest, there more problems that need solving with this project.
    Thanks for the imput,
    Carole

Here is a link that might be useful: Florian Solar Products

• johnmari
    15 years ago

I had the same problem in the previous house and ended up going with antiques I found on eBay. They're only 12x18" but with three drawers they are SO functional, and they're very sturdy. I only paid something like $400 for the pair including shipping from NJ to NH - I could barely find a single new nightstand for $400, much less a pair! So you might want to check out antiques.

{{!gwi}}

• ttodd
    15 years ago

Boy am I seeing some gorgeous homes on the forum here!!!!!

Mind if I ask you where you got that wonderful bed or who makes it? Okay & the bedside wall lamps too - I will be looking for something similar when we downsize.

Your color choices are wonderful - dark browns w/ green is one of my favorite color combo's.

I do agree w/ you about the table in proportion to the chairs. I also think that it accentuates the 'boxiness' of the chairs & table. I'm thinking a dark wood round table between the two may look better & also pull that dark brown from the bed over to that side of the room also.

How committed are you to the lamp? Maybe a tall thin lamp on the table or use a floor lamp behind the table to free up table space.

Johnmari's suggestion of looking at antiques is a wonderful one! I had 2 narrow bedside tables like hers in my 1st teeny tiny house that I foolishly sold many yrs. ago. I wish I would have hung onto them for just such a reason.

Johnmari - those are beautiful!

BTW - do you take reservations? :)

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Johnmari,
    I LOVE your nightstands! Let me know if you ever want to sell them. Now I will waste even more time online looking at Ebay.

Ttodd,
    The bed is Toscana II by Wesley Allen, as well as the Kensington bench. Choice of finish and fabric are customized. I found the company online and ordered them through a furniture discounter, Tyson Furniture, in Black Mountain, NC.
    I ordered the lamps from Pottery Barn - Chelsea Swing Arm in Antique Bronze - on sale in 2007; they still carry them.

I have also thought about the issue of the lamp taking up space on the table. One of my friends even suggested looking for one of those tables with a built in lamp...but I couldn't bring myself to consider it! I guess that my first step will be to look for a round table and see what evolves.

Thanks, Carole

Here is a link that might be useful: Wesley Allen

• johnmari
    15 years ago

Thanks for the compliments! Make sure to look under Antiques:Furniture rather than in the furniture department under Home & Garden. For example, here are two sets at a good price right now: a very similar set to mine, a little simpler in design, and a lower mahogany pair that I think might look nice with the curvy top to the bed.

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

I am just chirping in here to say what a lovely home you have. I love all the rooms and your colors are beautiful.
    I really like the nightstands that Johnmari posted, I wonder if they would still be a tad too big. But what great tables and so functional with the three drawers.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

johnmari:
    Thanks for the leads. After your last post I found my way to the antiques on Ebay and actually spotted the first set of nightstands. However, I missed the second pair and I really like them and am waiting to snag DH to take a look at them.

lyban:
    Thanks for the compliment, but be careful or I will post more photos of my mistakes.

To anyone:
    What do you think of these that I found at Ballard Designs?

Here is a link that might be useful: Calabria Side Table - Ballard Designs

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

DH vetoed the nightstands on Ebay, gave a neutral response to the Calabria nightstands at Ballard and suggested that I keep on searching.

• tradewind_64
    15 years ago

n1cf2, thank you so much for the info on your windows (and for the new pictures...gosh your home is G O R G E O U S).

Joanna

• tradewind_64
    15 years ago

Mari, did you have to refinish the nightstands, or is that how they came? Very pretty!
    Joanna

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Joanna, you are welcome...and thank you for posting. I'm still on a quest for nightstands. I saw some at Homegoods today, but they are too wide. I'm hoping to find something before we leave for NC on the 27th, but if I don't, perhaps I will be lucky and stumble into the perfect piece there.

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

Carole, I'm in the business of repurposing. Have you thought about looking at vintage or antique dressing tables? The two sides could be taken apart from the middle and made into two night stands. I would think they'd be about the size you're looking for and would have drawers for storage too. You might even find one at a local thrift or used furniture store. I think it would be worth checking out.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

justgotabeme: What an unique idea! The area of NC where this home is located has a plethora of antique dealers, so I will hold that thought. Thank you.

• les917
    15 years ago

I would think about something like this. If you need some closed storage for 'personal items' you could get a couple of nice covered baskets or boxes to use on the shelves. I think these would be nice, kind of echo the feel of the windows in the seating area, and would feel less crowded by the bed since your space is so limited.

tanner table

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

les917: I really appreciate your imput...my nightstands are sort of a boring issue, but one of many odds and ends to tie up. What I have in mind for the nightstands is more of an "old world" look. When we built this home 15 years ago, we had a different mindset and furnished it as a country retreat in traditional Americana. Then when we remodeled a couple of years ago, we began to gradually change the character of the decorating. The Tuscan wood-fired oven that we installed in the extended kitchen became the inspiration for our new look. The decor is still a little schizophrenic as we slowly reinvent, retire and replace the furnishings. It is actually quite frustrating because we are never there long enough to do everything I want to do. When we get back here, I am working with a handicap because I have to wait until the next visit to find out if it will work out.

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

n1cf2, OMGosh! What a BEAUTIFUL home! Sorry I can't offer any ideas for nightstands but just wanted to comment on other aspects of your home. Love the headboard, the chandy over the dining room table, those great windows, the exposed cedar and of course the view. I bet it's hard to leave this great space and go home :( You mentioned you renovated your kitchen a couple of years ago. May we PLEASE see pictures of that too? :)
    Monica

• ysop1016
    15 years ago

n1cf2,
    Levenger.com has one called No-Room-For-A-Table. Check it out.

• robynpa
    15 years ago

I love your house and all the wonderful light!! Do you have the windows professionally cleaned? I would love to have those views!!!

• Happyladi
    15 years ago

You have a lovely home and the setting is wonderful. You must love going there!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jsop1016 - Thanks! I'll check it out.

robynpa - Thank you. We are very fortunate to have a wonderful spot. We are on a lake and all the windows showcase the view. Umm, we have not cleaned the windows yet. Actually the only area that does not seem to be self-cleaning is where main roof overhangs the sunroom roof. We'll probably get someone up there with a hose when the gutters are cleaned.

Monicakm: Originally, the purpose of this house was strictly vacation. I was still working full time until a few years ago and the last thing that I wanted to do was spend time in the kitchen. It was mainly for breakfast and an occasional lunch. We plan to spend at least 5 month a year there when DH retires, so the house needed some changes to make it more user friendly. Since many of our friends have also built homes up there, we have quite the little dinner party circuit going on and I wanted a better kitchen space.

If you only knew what this space was like before we knocked down walls to open it up! It was a narrow galley with no windows, a pocket door at the end to the laundry room and a pocket door at the other end that opened to the dining area. Those beams you see are hand hewn white pine, which allowed us to knock down some supporting walls to open up the kitchen to the great room and extended kitchen where the Tuscan oven is located. The photos that I have are older, taken just shortly after cleaning up construction debris, so they don't really show it well, but here you go:

• tradewind_64
    15 years ago

OK, n1cf2, I demand that you put up a whole house tour on the web! I want to see the WHOLE THING. It just keeps getting better everytime I see pics :-)

What color green is your living room? I just picked a chartreuse color that looks similar for my living room, the paint cans are sitting in my living room right now,and I'm a little bit nervous, but your color looks lovely, and I'm wondering what color it is in person. In some pics it looks chartreusy on my monitor, and others it looks more sage. I picked chartreuse because I have really bright print barkcloth curtains, and I'm hanging a gallery wall of older portraits (the non-valuable non-pedigreed sort), so I wanted a COLOR. I'm worried though! But if the color turns out to look as good as yours, I'll be extra pleased.

Joanna

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Joanna (tradewind 64),

LOL - you are a riot! How did we get from my nightstands to Show & Tell? I'm flattered by your interest, but I don't have photos of the WHOLE THING. We are leaving on the 27th for a trip up there and one of the things on my To Do list is to update the photos. When I am trolling for accessories and furnishings I carry them in a plastic baggie along with paint and fabric swatches. I will try to fulfill your request when I get back.

The green that you are looking at is actually on the wall in the gathering area of the extended kitchen as well as in the kitchen and sunroom. It is Devine Cypress by Devine Color. It sort of brings the outdoors inside. It is a "leafy" color and may not display accurately on your monitor. I remember freaking out when the builder sent e-photos of the exterior painting because it looked nothing like the color I had selected and I thought that he was using the wrong paint!

Here is a link that might be useful: Devine Color

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

Thanks for the kitchen photos! It looks as great as I thought it would :) Can't wait to see more of this fantastic space!
    Monica

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Monica. I'll follow up next month.
    Carole

• l_mtl
    15 years ago

Love your house and decorating style...

I searched all over the Web to find your dining room table.

Is it the Henredon dining table 3014-20 (http://www.henredon.com/catdetails.aspx?fid=10&img=3014-20_B)? Do you like it? Any disappointment?

Thanks for any info.

Lyne

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

I just saw this thread, and opened it because I'm looking for a relatively narrow table too, BUT...

Your gorgeous house (esp. the master bedroom suite) makes me weak in the knees, and I'm sitting down.

And is that a real wood-fired oven in your kitchen?!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, there! I haven't logged onto the site for ages. We are heading up to the NC house on Friday and since I am still "nightstandless", I thought that I would take a look at my old thread for any new input. I have concluded that I will only find the size and style that I am looking for in French antiques, so I am searching EBay for affordable options...and who knows? - we may get lucky in Asheville.

To: Lyne (l mtl)
    Yes! It is Henredon. I looked at the link you posted and I am certain that it is the same table. I absolutely love this table! It can generously seat six as is and eight are possible, but snug. Since it is an extension table, we have the option of pulling out both (or one) of the leafs that are stacked under the main board, which doubles the size. In these photos, I only pulled out one leaf to comfortably seat eight. We were fortunate to find this table at a furniture warehouse that acquires overstocks and sellouts of high quality furniture and discounts it at least or better than the prices offered in Hickory and High Point (NC furniture mart Mecca). I wanted to mention this because you might find similar dealers in your area.

To: flyleft
    Yes! It is indeed a wood-fired oven. It is from a company in California, Mugnaini Imports. It is a lot of work, but the results of my labor are amazing. Unfortunately, this leads to relentless begging for dinner parties from friends and family. We installed the oven with a remodeling project. I was somewhat ignorant about the oven when our architect suggested it, so I blithely agreed. Knowing what I know now, I would suggest that anyone considering a wood-fired oven investigate a gas starter to make the process of firing and preheating the oven less tedious.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mugnaini

• onedog3cats
    15 years ago

Okay...I can't offer any advice because I have drool all over my keyboard!
    Your house is absolutely gorgeous! What an amazing view you have. Love the bed and bedding..that is the look I think I want in our bedroom. Good luck finding nightstands!

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I also love your bed and all your beautiful rooms with so much light and style. I love the tile in your bathroom. your doggie is cute also. Thanks for sharing.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lynne2006 & onedog3cats -Thank you!
    Members at large: I have a question for those of you who are regulars. When members pose questions directed to the original poster on the forum, is there any way to respond other than including it in a follow-up message? My participation is intermittent and there is usually lag time before I see responses. This results in the thread being so deeply buried due to inactivity that the member who asked the question may not still be looking for an answer and never see my response.

• redbazel
    15 years ago

I think searching for the original thread is nice because sometimes it has a lot of people following it already who want to see 'what's next'. That's why I've skipped two dozen threads and gone to this one--because it's one I read and liked some time back.
    But sometimes, particularly if a question takes things off on a different tangent, it's best to just start a new thread and put the poster's name in that one. For eg: If Lynne2006 asked you what comforter you have on your bed, you might begin a post with...

Lynne2006--About my Comforter

Or, you can try clicking on that person's name and emailing them through GW directly, since they had a personal interest in you already.

Red