Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sochi

Backsplash ideas for white, modern kitchen?

sochi
9 years ago

I posted what became a quite exciting thread last fall on the kitchen in my new build modern cottage. Thought I should check in again for some more advice.

As a few of you advised, I'm pretty much going with the architect's vision, despite my prejudice against white kitchens. It is a fairly small galley kitchen with an island/peninsula open to the DR.

- White slab cabs (ICI paints "Quiet Hideaway");
- Richelieu "contemporary metal edge" pulls;
- Caesarstone Organic white counters, waterfall at edge of peninsula
- Blanco Quatrus SS undermount sink
- The DR side of the peninsula will have open shelves in the same wood as the floors and some of the walls: PurParket Rustic Bisque white oak

I've never paid a much attention to white kitchens, so have no idea on backsplash. Do I just do a short ledge in the caesarstone? Or introduce some (very) subtle colour and texture? Would appreciate your views.

Here are a few pictures from early April. Some good progress since then, plus lots of leaves on the trees now. The brutal winter really delayed us. Should be roughly habitable by July 20th, not really fully finished until fall. I'll post some new pics soon with siding up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old thread on kitchen

Comments (20)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Three divergent types of backsplashes come to mind immediately:

1) a full backsplash of the Ceasarstone Organic White. (or a back-painted starphire glass sheet to match the Ceasarstone)

2) a very short Ceasarstone backsplash topped by a full mirror backsplash (to reflect outside)

3) a green backsplash to pull the tree color inside. I saw a pretty colorless vacation house that had bright green kitchen cabinets and it was pretty great.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Backpainted glass! Backpainted glass!

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A mirrored backsplash could be fabulous there, great suggestion. We are generally counter clutter free, aside from the gas cooktop. I'm going up tomorrow, I will re-examine the space with mirror in mind.

Thanks for the pin board teacats, great spaces and ideas. Caesarstone all the way is my architect's preference too I think.

Nosoccermom, a subtle earthy green back painted backsplash was my first idea, still an option for sure. Do you prefer plain glass?

Thanks for the ideas.

• rockybird
    9 years ago

I have no input as I am no good at picking out backsplashes or paint colors. (My kitchen still has no backsplash because I am frozen with indecision).

But I wanted to say that I LOVE your new vacation home! Do you have more pics?

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rockybird, my walnut kitchen at home still has no backsplash, it's been finished for four years! You can see why I'm asking for help.

I will ask DH to take a few more pics tomorrow. They just started with the siding, so it will be more interesting in a couple of weeks.

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pal, why the short Caesarstone backsplash plus mirror and not mirror right to the counter?

• cawaps
    9 years ago

I ran across Slate-ish in Fine Homebuilding recently. No white, but they have browns and grays that might work. I'm thinking the large format panels. The ledger stone effect is cool, but I think it would be a pain to keep clean in the kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Slate-ish

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I prefer a very short backsplash to get the "seam" between the two different materials up off the counter, for cleansibility and durability. A very short piece of countertop material doesn't visually register like a 4" piece would.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

My bathroom mirror runs down to the short backsplash in corian...I must splash more than DH as his mirror is fine, mine is starting to spot and lose the mirroring along the lower edge from water migrating behind it.

I love the look of the horizontal lines in your house and I'd like to see that repeated in the backsplash...get white quartz tile and run a single line of gray glass or metal pencil tile horizontally along the backsplash.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

How about Fireclay's claymonde, large format ceramic tile? Either same size or collection of sizes in same color?

I ordered a sample in white (5x30?) and really liked it (but haven't gotten around to that project).

Great to hear you're making progress!

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Light green backsplash?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I'd go with a backpainted glass backsplash in a favorite subtle color. It's clean looking and easy maintenance.

Personally, I'd pick a light or seafoam blue/green.

[Modern Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2105) by Oakland General Contractors Mueller Nicholls Cabinets and Construction

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I remember your kitchen and home from the planning stages -- it is turning out so great. I love the idea of the white or green backpainted glass or the Caesarstone.

I've also seen some large format glass planks from Bellavita that could look good when done horizontally, in stacks, to pick up the lines in your beautiful architecture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Large format glass

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I would probably pick a sort of intense green that substituted for the trees in wintertime:

• juliehay
    9 years ago

I am sorry I am not adding any ideas for your backsplash. However is there anyway I can see pics of your PurParket rustic bisque floors? I am currently debating whether or not to purchase these exact floors for my house. I would love to see them in something bigger than a square foot picture. I can't seem to go back into your forum and find pictures? Please help....Thanks tons :)

• rockybird
    9 years ago

Is there any update? I cant get over how awesome your house is!

• juliehay
    9 years ago

Where can I find pictures?

• rite00
    8 years ago

Hi Julie,. Did you ever find pictures of Rustic Bisque? I am trying to decide between Bisque and Rusticbisque for a3000 sq foot area and can't find pictures. Thx. Kathy

• PRO
    Versailles Studio Designs
    7 years ago

Hi Kathy. Did you have a great builder that you could recommend for your kitchen addition? It turned out beautifully @rlte00

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio