Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

Newly painted black vanity with Anthropologie knobs

bbstx
13 years ago

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a message about fabulous mercury glass knobs from Anthropologie, and a separate message about painting my guest bathroom vanity black. Below are pictures of the nearly-finished product. I still have to get a plumber in to change out the faucet and order the mirror frame from Mirror Mate.

I painted the vanity myself. I used Sherwin Williams Prep-Rite ProBlock in the deep base, tinted as dark as possible, as the primer. Then two coats of SW basic black. Thanks to advice from funcolors, I bought new black hinges.

Before (with photographer blanked out - can someone explain to me how to make the image blurry instead?):

After:

Other side after:

Close-up of knobs (they are even...it is the photographer who is off-center)

Replaced "Hollywood" bar lights with this:

New faucet not yet installed:

I plan to order this Mirror Mate frame for the mirror:

Comments (19)

• redbazel
    13 years ago

I wouldn't bother with blurry, I'd just say "Can you step over here for a minute so I can take some pictures?"

It looks beautiful. I painted my old house vanity black but didn't have such cool knobs to put on it. Love what you're doing and the whole look!

Red

• Sheeisback_GW
    13 years ago

I was hoping you'd post an update. It looks really great! I love those chunky knobs.

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

Now I have to have those knobs! Your cabinet is painted beautifully. Love everything! Must have those knobs.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

That turned out great! The knobs are perfect. And your toile bedding reflected in your mirror is so pretty too!

• caminnc
    13 years ago

Everything looks beautiful. I am sure your guest will feel very fortunate to stay in such a lovely place. Very, very nice.

• Jody
    13 years ago

It is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! I am *thinking* of painting my: kitchen cabinets (oak); bathroom cabinet; and small pantry area .... your pictures are very inspirational :)

LOVE the knobs!!

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

Perfect! I didn't realize the knobs were so sizeable, I like them a lot. I might have to order some for my bathroom.

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

It looks wonderful! I have the same Mirror Mate frame.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL, Red, that is me blanked out in the mirror! I finally got smart enough to put the camera around the corner and keep myself out of the picture.

The knobs are quite large, but not too large. I'm very pleased with them.

I was a little concerned about painting the oak cabinets. I knew the grain would still show. However, after I got the vanity painted, I decided that the grain kept the black from being too flat and dead looking. If you are considering painting your cabinets, I would encourage you to go ahead. I'm so pleased with mine.

• les917
    13 years ago

Love the makeover - and the knobs are fabulous.

I also love the new light fixture, but I wonder if you can reverse it so the light hangs the other way? It seems kind of high, and I think you might like the effect of it hanging down over the frame and the mirror once you get the mirror mate done.

You should be very pleased - a great change!

• bbstx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

les, the light is not as high as it looks. I was crouched down trying keep the flash out of the mirror. This light will only work with the lights pointing upward.

The light I had originally chosen pointed downward. When we went to install it, we discovered that not all of the pieces were there. The store I had purchased it at was 30 miles away and I had weekend guests due in two hours. So, DD and I made a mad dash to HD and bought whatever we could find that was acceptable. Not exactly a well-contemplated decorating decision, but I'm happy with the overall end results.

Happyladi, would you be willing to take a picture of your Mirror Mate and either post it or e-mail it directly to me, please? I would love to see it "in situ" before I buy.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    13 years ago

The bathroom looks great!

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Wow, this turned out great! Love the knobs!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

You did a great job...it turned out well. The black looks so nice and the knobs really set it off. :-)

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    13 years ago

bbstx, did you sand your cabinets prior to priming?

• bbstx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did not sand the cabinets prior to painting. I had read on the kitchen forum, I think, where another GW member recommended Sherwin Williams Prep-Rite Pro Block Interior and Exterior. She said it must say "seals and bonds" on the label. I had the SW Prep-Rite tinted as dark as it could be tinted.

I washed the cabinets down to make sure they were clean. Then I put a coat of the SW Prep-Rite on. Waited 24 hours, applied the first coat of black paint, waited 24 hours, applied the second coat of black. Waited 48 hours and rehung the doors. I waited another 24 hours before I attached the knobs.

The SW Prep-Rite says you can paint after 4 hours, but in my reading, someone had had bad results when they only waited 4 hours, therefore, I waited 24 hours between coats.

The only "issue" I had was when I took the Frog Tape off. One spot about 1/2" by 1", on the front of the vanity against the wall, peeled off. I lightly sanded and touched it up with only one coat of paint, which was sufficient.

About Frog Tape, I wish I had read more before I started painting. It is advertised to have some property that causes the tape to seal to the wall when the paint is applied. It is supposed to maintain a sharp line. It did not. However, I've since read that wiping over the tape with a damp sponge prior to painting will activate the "Paint Block Technology."

• nhb22
    13 years ago

Or, use a credit card to make sure the edges are pressed firmly down. :_)

Love the look, the knobs and your bedroom! You did a great job, too.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Thank you, bbstx, for the full explanation. I asked because I want to paint some oak cabinets, but just don't have the stamina to sand. Your info is much appreciated. And thanks to you too, newhomebuilder, for the tip of using a credit card for the tape.