Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jill302

Warming Up a Home for Sale

jill302
9 years ago

Hoping to get some advice from you all on how to give my house that something special, without - of course- spending a lot of money. Want to save whatever dollars t I can for my next hopefully "forever" house.

Thought I would start with my Living Room/Dining Room combo first as it is the room that is most ready. Thinking it looks okay overall - but just okay. The mantle really does need help. Have not been able to figure out what to do with it.

Otherwise, just want to warm the rooms up a bit, without of course making the room two personal. A slippery slope for me. Looking forward to your suggestions.

Will add other pictures in posts below, I can not figure out how to do more than one in a post. Sorry they are so dark, the rooms are quite a bit lighter in real life.

Thanks so much!

Comments (54)

• jill302
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view of the Dining Room.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

take the mirror from the DR, turn it once and hang it over the FP.

Take the painting and hang it where the mirror is.

Remove the table cloth, unless the table underneath is in bad shape.

Move the items on the mantel to the sideboard in the DR.

Go to a place like Christmas Tree Shops and pick up some inexpensive decor items for the mantel and the hearthâ¦a basket, different sized candlesticks, whatever.

Move the little side table next to the FP, with the pretty lamp on it, to the other side of the sofa, and put the larger lamp on it and that lamp on the table behind the other sofa.

Good luck!

• crl_
    9 years ago

Ask your realtor. Our last realtor was astonished that we did every single thing he suggested. We couldn't believe people don't. The realtor is an expert in selling houses and the person you are hiring because, presumably, you think he or she knows how to sell your house. We moved some furniture around and bought fresh flowers for a couple of rooms and that was it. No need to spend much money.

This post was edited by crl_ on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 21:26

• Olychick
    9 years ago

It's a home that looks like it will show well - neat and clean with a beautiful fireplace and what look like good sized rooms.

I would try a picture on the fireplace...you may not want to use/move it, but try the one in the dining room between the two vases - just lean it for now. If you like how that looks, maybe you can shop your other rooms for one to go there, or for something to replace the one in the dining room (altho with one on the fireplace, you may not need one in that space). I'd put the arrangement on the table behind the flowered sofa.

To start, in the dining room, I'd switch the arrangement with the silver piece and look for other things to go with the silver on the buffet - candlestick? Other serving pieces, etc.

• theclose
    9 years ago

I would move the mirror to over the fireplace, as Tib suggested. You don't even have to hang it - you can prop it.

I like all of Tib's ideas! A few more pieces of artwork would be nice too. I see lots of empty walls.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Why thank you, mamorella! I'm flattered!

Agree with just propping the mirror on the FP mantel. I think it'd look better than way than hanging.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I, too, agree with Tibbrix's advice. Also check out Homegoods for inexpensive accessories if you have one around.
    I'd probably open the blinds and get some fresh flowers.

• OKMoreh
    9 years ago

Just one comment about propping a mirror vs. hanging: check to see what it will reflect. Propped, it angles up and will mostly reflect the ceiling. If it happens to face a window with a view, hanging so that it angles very slightly down may be preferable. Either way it will reflect light, which is always beneficial.

• jill302
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix -and Mamorella - Great idea on the mirror, can't wait to give it a try - side ways and propped.

Will give Tibbrix's other ideas a try too too. Once I have things moved, I will post another photo for feedback, probably tomorrow.

Unfortunately, the table needs to be refinished so I am stuck with a tablecloth. I was thing using something different though.Need to see if the one I am thinking of is the right size.

Olychick - Like the idea of moving the arrangement behind the flowered sofa. The silver piece is actually a floral vase with gold, it really did not photo well. - will take a close-up picture of it when I move it to the buffet to see what everyone thinks.

crl - You are right and my realtor has made great suggestions on the larger things we needed to do. At this point we have completed almost all of the changes he recommended, we will be completing them all - just not quite done yet. However, he really does not seem to have any idea on true decor suggestions, he thought everything was well decorated, but when I compare with other homes, I can do better. We are in a very competitive, yet slow moving market so I want to do everything I can, within reason, to make my home desirable. Will make sure to add some fresh flowers.

Thank you everyone for your great ideas.

• jill302
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No soccermom - A trip to Home Goods sounds like a good idea! Love Home Goods - just do not like the location but I will try to get there this weekend.

okmoreh - Will check the reflection, I might not have thought of that.

• louislinus
    9 years ago

I love your fireplace!

• beachpea3
    9 years ago

Another vote for the suggestions Tibbrix gave you. All are excellent!

Also agree with crl that you definitely should talk to your Realtor. (Confession - I was in residential real estate for 25 years before becoming a commercial Realtor). He or She can walk through your home with fresh eyes and give you tips on what the hot buttons are for buyers in your area. Every area in the country is very different!

IMHO - no matter where you live - the first and most important view to check is the front door and the area around it. Is the door freshly painted,are the bushes or plantings pruned, is the garden at front door weeded and mulched, if sidelights or a windowed door- is the glass clean,etc. The reason is that while a Realtor is getting the door unlocked (sometimes it takes longer than you think...:) - the buyer is just standing there..looking around. If the front door area is not spruced up they might assume there are other areas, both inside and outside, that were not cared for or loved over the years. The old expression: "You can't take back a first impression" was never more true than in real estate!

From a buyer's point of view- they will easily be able to imagine their own furnishings in your home as it is so neat and tidy... and most importantly not cluttered with "stuff". There were many listings that my agents took that needed to have half the house put into temporary storage so that the potential buyers were not distracted with the clutter and could see themselves and their belongings in the home.

Good luck with your sale and best wishes finding your forever home!

• User
    9 years ago

Put the china cabinet into storage. It compromises the pathway through the space and makes it feel cramped. The extra dining chairs should also be stored. Find a less busy tablecloth in a solid color. Then do a simple runner down the middle. Thrift stores often have inexpensive linens.

For the living area, remove the patterned pillows from the patterened couch. The goal is to minimize visual stimulation so that people focus on the room. The small table might also need to go away, other than it's hoding a lamp. Lamps are important because you want to light the space with as much lumens as possible. Compact fluorescents with Edison bases have really come down in price, so go through your lamps and ceiling fixtures and replace any standard bulbs with the fluorescent equivalent at a higher wattage equivalent. If the fixture is rated for a 40 watt incandescent, a 75 watt equivalent in fluorescent will not cause it to overheat because fluorescent is so much cooler burning. Be sure to check the color temperature of the bulbs, and buy ''warm'' or ''daylight'' ones.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Not decorating, but I've heard that having a loaf of bread or something yummy smelling baking when the house is being shown evokes a very positive feeling from potential buyers.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I have to say that the smell of fresh cookies or bread is a warning signal to me. It just seems too staged.
    Just make sure to declutter, CLEAN, and repair anything that's broken. People may prefer a different decorating style, but they should be confident that the house has been well taken care of.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Or put the china cabinet next to the FP, where the painting is now

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I think you've done a great job and everything looks better than 90% of the homes on the market. Everyone has given great suggestions. Your fireplace is a true asset and a mirror or painting will help draw the eye there.

I have one thing to mention, that may be due to camera angles. Is the sofa on the left (red) larger than the one on the right? The one on the right seems to be closer to the center than the one on the left, leaving the view of the FP off center. Although normally people say not to push the furniture to the walls, in this case, you might consider pushing it back just a foot to center the arrangement and open up a pathway to the fireplace. I think my natural instinct would be to head to the fp -- and if the aisle is tight you might give a false impression. If the red sofa is larger, you might consider swapping them as it seems there is more space on the right side than on the left.

Have you considered moving the rug under the seating arrangement to the dining area? The darker rug under the red sofa and dark wood ct comes off a little heavy in the darker photo, but that could just be the photo

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

FYI If you put your photos on a site like photobucket etc. you can easily put as many photos as you want in one post.

• Eyegirlie
    9 years ago

I cannot tell what is on the chandelier...is it made that way or did you add to it?
    I agree with pulling the patterned couch back further, although I cannot tell what is behind it. I would also remove the throw pillows and throw.
    I also agree with changing the table cloth to a solid color. Something light. But I would not remove the mirror from where it is because it does seem to be reflecting the window across the room and brings in more light. I would pick up a nice inexpensive mirror at home goods to go over the mantle. I would also add some inexpensive curtain rods and panels to the windows. Hang the rod at the top of the wall so the curtains are tall and set them wide to give the illusion of larger windows.

• prairiemom61
    9 years ago

If you decide to prop the mirror or painting on the mantle, put a couple of small finish nails in the mantle to keep the frame from slipping forward. Very pretty fireplace!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I think your home should show well. Remove the little chotskies from the mantle and the China cabinet. I would move the framed picture to the mantle and leave the mirror in the DR unless you have a very beautiful view the mirror will pick up by moving it. Always put the mirror where it reflects something lovely. I don't like "little" on a mantle. Go big or go. The mirror or the framed art would be big. I would put the framed art there would be very nice. I am not fond of the blue walls (it looks blue on my monitor) with the pink/red color palette (it looks pink/red on my monitor) and the artwork would camouflage that big expanse of blue as well rather than reflect it.

Remember that your realtor is your friend in this case. But your house looks like exactly what they are looking for, impeccably clean! In the DR, put a bowl of lemons on the table and run lemon through the disposal before showing, just keeps things fresh. Wipe everything down with vinegar in the kitchen. No Clorox or chlorine-containing products. No deodorant sprays or candles. If I went to a house with the smell of Lysol, Clorox, sprays or candle odors, I would not go in. I would feel some odor underlies all that bleaching and perfuming.

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

We moved last year, so I know how challenging this can be. My advice (for what it's worth) is that you have a beautiful space, but it is too feminine and formal.

The name of the game is to make your house look like it was just now this instant, updated and decorated. That means that you want it to look like a professional person with disposable income who is 28-35 chose everything in the space. (LOL I am NOT in that age category for sure). It can be hard when you have spent time making a space fit together in a way you like. But the style of the young buyer with money is what you are going for.

Your fireplace is a nice feature, and it is a more masculine feature with the stone. Your 1 sofa in the space should be the only floral.

Change out the table cloth to a solid textured linen type, Get a bigger more modern style container for fresh flowers or plants or greenery, as opposed to the formal ones
    you have now.

Remove the floral pillow and the red pillows from the sofa. Consider a more neutral color throw to tie into your wall color. To me the red is fighting the blue. The red seems tuscan and the blue seems more sea and sky. I would consider a different throw in a dark caramel color to tie into your mantle shelf color.

Remove if possible the adornments on the chandelier.

Add some big chunky candles in ivory or white or caramel to the space.

And lean a piece of art on the mantle. I would go for something large. Try different things you may already have.

The goal is to have the pictures on MLS look amazing so all potential buyers will book a viewing. So appealing to more men and to more modern lovers will broaden your pool of homebuyers.

This post was edited by juliekcmo on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 7:45

• jill302
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone, so many suggestions. I skimmed all the responses, will go through them in more in detail later today and will also add a couple pictures that give a more complete view of the room.

Yes, the floral sofa is smaller. It is a love seat - 2 cushions. Looking straight at the floral love seat to the right, is a pathway and then a baby grand piano. Moving the love seat back blocks the pathway and makes everything look very crowded. The piano can not be moved.

There is a small desk behind the floral sofa, we use the desk as a sofa table - to hold the lamp and occasional holiday decor. We need all the light we can get, the room is a bit dark , so I really want to keep a lamp there.

Unfortunately, as much as I liked the idea I can not move the small table at the end of the red sofa to the other side of sofa. The sofa does not move any closer to fireplace as it is partially against the hearth and moving the sofa back looks really strange - tried it. Leaving sofa as is and moving the table to the other side of sofa, blocks the pathway. A wall juts out right where the sofa is, the dining room area is not as wide as the living room.

Having problems getting the mirror off the wall, DH and I were not home at the same time last night so I need to wait until he can help me, very very heavy. Did try the painting above the fireplace and it looks really nice, a vast improvement.

The wall color is a pale grayed aqua. Our Realtor did like the color of the room. However, adding a neutral throw and pillows is makes sense, as others may not like the color combo as well as I do.

Love the suggestion of moving the china cabinet to the other side of the room. Only concern is the fireplace is also on that wall, will that make that side of the room too heavy? Also, not sure how that would work with lamp table. Would probably need to get rid of the lamp table and use the china cabinet to hold lamp. Only other option would be to store the china cabinet in our garage and I was hoping not to put furniture there. We have a storage unit, but it is full and we really can not afford to add another one. We started filling the unit in January and they just raised our price, by 50% last month, the downfall of no contract.

Was thinking of changing out my antique Chinese vases with something else. My thought, was that they were inherited and can not be replaced, I would be devastated if they disappeared. The idea of using more simple modern decor pieces and appealing to a younger buyer is definitely a plus as well, can't wait to go to Home Goods.

Will get rid of the chandelier decor, totally agree it needs to go.

Thank you again, can't wait to try out more of these ideas!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

How does the sofa or loveseat look placed facing the fireplace? I would open the line of sight from the dining room to the window in the LR. I think the arrangement chops off the right side of the living room and makes it look like a good portion of the living room is wasted space.

I would suggest a purpose for that side of the LR by placing the sofa table and a DR chair against the wall next to the fireplace to give the idea of a desk. Or do you have a small desk? Also try it under the window, and add some drapery panels. I agree with Tibbrix that the china cabinet needs to be moved from the walkway, and it could go beside the fireplace. However, I like the idea of a desk since more people have computers than china!

• Circus Peanut
    9 years ago

It might just be me, but I suspect that the best way to warm up all of those areas would be to replace the cool blue wall color with a warmer ivory/off-white/sand. Given the traditional style of the furnishings, I'd find a good color on one of the historical Colonial paint color charts.

I'm absolutely not a beigey-wall person myself (my walls are all kinds of scary dark orange, etc), but in this case I suspect that will help unify and bring out the warmth of your furniture colors much better.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

If you feel you need to warm it up more, I'd consider adding some curtain panels hung ceiling height, probably simple white/natural linen look form IKEA. Of course, that means curtain rod, etc.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Can the small side table go next to the floral sofa w/o blocking the walkway? Put the bigger lamp on that table.

Then put the desk that is behind the floral sofa under the window.

Put the small red lamp on the FP mantel, somewhere eon the left, and feed the electrical cord along the inside of the mantel then down the wall, holding it there by hammering in clasps so that it can't be seen.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Oh, so that is a desk behind the loveseat! So it can go somewhere to the right of the FP as I mentioned. Can you move the loveseat to a bedroom or guest room and put the sofa facing the FP? It will make the room feel more spacious, especially with a piano in the room.

I like the aqua walls too. Very pretty with red.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I agree with what tib said. I also would consider adding a lamp or two to your buffet in the dining. I have a thing for lamps and always feel they make a room so much more inviting. Plus, when selling, people love a lot of light!!

Keep us posted. You have a beautiful home!

• Jane_the_Renovator
    9 years ago

Re: the cookies/baking bread idea.

What has worked for us is chili in the crockpot. It's a win/win: the house smells delicious, and when you come home, dinner is ready. If you are not a chili family, then maybe some other stews.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Yeah, I wish I hadn't brought that silly "baked bread" nonsense up. Unless you have to be baking at the same time you happen to be showing the house, then it is totally contrived. I'd be very suspicious if the kitchen wasn't a total mess but something was "baking".

I take it back!

• jill302
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are some new pictures, to give you a better idea of the flow of the rooms. The Eastlake chair will be leaving and I may use the aqua chair in the reading area of my master.

One of the pictures show the painting moved to the mantle with the vases. The mirror did not look as good, the reflection had too many things - pony wall, staircase... So think I will either leave the painting or find another piece of art the same size. Took tablecloth of table, need to find replacement.

[URL=http://s207.photobucket.com/user/mcgarywise/media/photo1060514.jpg.html][IMG]http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb218/mcgarywise/photo1060514.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

• jill302
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops that was a fail. Until I figure this out I will add from my computer.

This photo is dark but it shows you the lay-out at the East end of the room.

• jill302
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The light is a little better with the camera pointing, but you can see the full room. This is the northeast corner.

• jill302
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The fireplace with the painting from left of the fireplace moved to the mantle.

Mirror did not work well, reflection had too much going on. Pony wall, stairway...

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I like the pic over the FP.

Switch the lamps, though. That little red one is so cute and should stand out more. Plus it will balance them better, IMO. Plant on the hearth is good too!

• jill302
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view of east end of room, chair is leaving.

• jill302
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the opening from our entry hall into the room, you can see the wall that juts out, leaving the dining room more narrow than the living room area. Thinking of moving this chair to master reading area.

• jill302
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This last photo shows the dining room table without the tablecloth, will look for a new one this weekend as tabletop needs to be refinished. Also, shows chandelier without vine. Excuse the vase, it will not be staying there.

Went Home Goods yesterday. No success related to these rooms. Very disappointing, but I live in So Cal and we have lots of places to shop. My issue will be time, I really want my house listed.

Anyway, I want to thank all of you again. I really appreciate you taking time out of your day to offer me your opinion - there have been some really wonderful ideas.

• amykath
    9 years ago

From the photo⦠I think I would lose the blue chair.

Looks good!

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Lovely room and great improvements!

More suggestions:

1. remove the blue chair (colour clashes a bit with wall)

2. put an inexpensive large maidenhair fern in a simple pot on the sideboard in the dining room

3. leave dining table uncovered

4. vases on mantel are a bit too small - I would group the painting, something tall, and something short together. don't be afraid to be asymmetric

• patricianat
    9 years ago

One suggestion if the tabletop is not really bad, put a square table topper on it in a linen look or a lacy look so that some of the wood is exposed.

Don't put a flowery cloth back on it. If you can find a square cloth and place it in a diamond shape on your table without showing the areas that need to be replaced or if the areas are not that bad, I think that would be lovely or a square crochet cloth that you might find in a flea market. Just don't use prints.

About that gorgeous piano, pull it out from the wall as much as you can without obstructing the traffic flow pattern. I assume you have "moving men" to help you move the piano. If not, buy some. They are great for moving grand or baby grand pianos or heavy buffets, armoires.

If you can't do that, call me and I will have it shipped to me. Place a crystal or silver bud vase on the piano with one lone red rose (get a very nice faux red rose) and a a piece of silk or faux silk or velvetine fabric neatly rumpled atop the piano. Go to a fabric store and find a remnant. It does not have to be expensive and perhaps get enough so that one day soon you could use it to cover some pillows for your sofa.

Just think of your house as linen, lace, velvet, roses and music. That's the ticket!

This post was edited by patricia43 on Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 2:59

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Antiqueannie, instead of a tablecloth, try a table runner or large rectangular/square scarf, the kind you would wear! Place it on the table and mess it up a bit rather than just stretching it out nearly. I've used a rectangular leopard print silk w/fringe, and 'curved' it, 'swooshing' one side up and one side down, sort of in an 'S' shape.

Where are you in SD and where are you moving to? I lived in Scripps Ranch for 27 years, but moved to Austin 6 years ago when DD/DH accepted a transfer. Love the low key vibe. Good luck selling your home.

• Ilene Perl
    9 years ago

Your fireplace is beautiful. When I sold my house I bought vanilla candles that I lit before showing, made the house smell beautiful, and I think made the house feel warmer. We sold it to the first person who looked at it at the end of the first weekend on the market. Good luck with selling your house!

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

I hope this doesn't hurt your feelings. I am not critiquing your beautiful home, I just feel it can be tweaked for very little money and effort to appeal to a vastly larger number of buyers. Just my opinion, but I still think it needs more modern/contemporary touches.

I see by your screen name that you like antiques. Many of your pieces have profiles that are old-fashioned, and not modern. This can make a home seem -emotionally- too "used" and "old lady".

I think it is important emotionally for a home to SEEM new and unused and up to date by buyers. I know, buyers are not buying your things, But they need to be able to imagine the house with their fantasy new furnishings in it.

Take a look at Crate and Barrel, West Elm, Pottery Barn, Design Within Reach and blogs like Apartment Therapy and Sunset Magazine website.

Try to add some Mid Century Modern to the mix, and unfussy and chunkier pieces. In particular I would replace all of the vases, and probably the larger lamp with more simple and chunkier pieces.

And remove both the blue chair and the tapestry chair by the piano. Any upholstery that doesn't look brand new can be a turnoff.

I hope you understand that I am not AT ALL implying your space isn't lovely. It is lovely. But it is just too taste-specific and that can carry over to the impressions potential buyers form of the house.

• luckygal
    9 years ago

We've bought and sold a number of houses and I've come to the conclusion that less decor is definitely more when selling. Buyers can be easily distracted by the decor and not focus on the house itself so I veto buying any new accessories at any big box store. IMO a bowl of fresh fruit (eat it and renew frequently so it is fresh) and fresh flowers are the best places to spend your money. Remove most decorative objects and have a relatively clean slate.

Last time we listed a house for sale I removed most of my accessories and still had too much. Next time I'm taking my own advice as stated here and stripping my house of it's personality. I want potential buyers to look at the house and visualize their own stuff in it. The real estate agent who showed our last house commented on my decor and when I said much of it was from yard sales she said "I must start yard saling"! That's how I know I had still left too much stuff out and people were paying more attention to the decor than to the house.

I also expect that stats would show that a high percentage of buyers are not members of GardenWeb Home Decorating and Design Forum and are not as concerned about decor as most of us! Clean, neat, and understated will sell a house in any market IMO.

• jill302
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone, at this point I am going to have to sort through all the advice and decide what I am going to do. The overall conscious overall seems to be too feminine and too old fashioned - I can see that. Looking at decor items the last few days I find that am drawn to feminine pieces, so I will need to be careful that the few pieces I buy are not "girly" but rather neutral.

Agree, the two chairs will go.

This week we are hosting 3 events in our home, a record week I think. Have a son graduating high school and a daughter turning 21, followed by Father's Day so my progress on the house and opportunity to check-in here will be minimal. As I move forward I will keep you posted as I make changes.

• jill302
    Original Author
    9 years ago

should read - The overall consensus seems to be too feminine and too old fashioned - I can see that.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Please do not hassle this sweet lady about changing her vintage and antique furniture, a grand piano to items purchased at Rooms To Go. What next! Suggesting the White House swap the furniture it now has for foam cube sofas and build-by-number tables fresh off the steamer from China.

Antique, your house is fine. Just add that bud vase to the piano, a velvet or faux silk cloth rumpled up on the piano adjacent to the vase with a bud, a couple candle sticks or a bowl of lemons on the table with a square cloth placed in a diamond shape and be done with it. Keep the house clean, smelling of clean and run your citrus through the disposal and wipe down the counters with vinegar. That's all you need.

Don't put stinky candles in your house to give your first prospect a severe case of asthma. Nothing smells as good as clean. I remember my mother's house smelling of fresh air, fresh rain and the bathrooms of dial soap. There was a time when we did not have air conditioning and we kept the windows open and the house clean. We did not need artificial wax scents to cover unpleasant odors. The only thing I would suggest for odors is Poo-Pourri. Sometimes nature calls at the most inappropriate times and we need to dispense with that smell. Poo-Pourri is all organic, I believe.

This post was edited by patricia43 on Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 14:04

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Patricia, well said! I agree with you 100%.