Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deegw

Is this the Tuscan of our time?

deegw
9 years ago

I will admit to being dazzled by many aspects of this house that recently hit the market near me. The overall look is such a product of Houzz and decorating blogs that I wonder what we will think 15 years from now. Is it going to date just because things date? Do you see any avocado appliances or other "what in the world were they thinking" features?

Here is a link that might be useful: House

This post was edited by deee on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 17:43

Comments (6)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I don't think it is.

Not because white is "timeless", and this kitchen will date itself like any other. You will be able to pinpoint within a few years when this kitchen was done based upon your part of the country.

The difference is that this kitchen is based in large part on the shaker cabinet and "Edwardian" era cabinetry--the large legs and such. Although it's a loose interpretation, it has some historical American antecedents (even though most of the antecedents weren't kitchens, they were millwork from other parts of the houses.

Tuscan, on the other hand is a made up style that isn't very firmly rooted in Tuscany. It always sort of reminded me of what the Victorians did to a lot of Medieval buildings and walls. The Victorians didn't think the wall around the city of York looked medieval or picturesque enough, so they added a crenelated top and some other details, and they often added romanticized details because they thought it looked more like it "should" have. Tuscan style, in my mind, tries to out-Tuscan the real Tuscany.

In addition, with a few changes, the white kitchen could be altered to suite a different taste in the future, because most of it is "plain" enough. But Tuscan style is often so overwrought that it would be hard to modify it into anything else. It's sometimes even difficult to paint over the faux wall finishes that were used.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Similar to what Palimpsest said, I think some of the fixtures and appliances will eventually seem dated, but the architectural style of the house seems timeless.

• selcier
    9 years ago

The floors. I absolutely love hardwoods. But the stain they chose is more of a grey than a brown. I think that color will look dated quickly.

• peony4
    9 years ago

The Americanized Tuscan style is alive and well in the conservative Chicago suburbs. I'm starting to believe it's the "classic" with timeless style around here.

But the bones of this house, deee, are what will keep it less identifiable with our specific decade of decor. The balustrade legs on the kitchen island and sink base cabinets, as well as the glass subway backsplash and cup pulls, are giveaways to our current trends, of course. But neutral wood floors and a white backdrop are about as noncommittal as decor can be when considering flexibility with future updates. Even the fireplace, from afar, looks pretty nondescript.

Personally, I think the best attribute this house has going for it is that the builder put more effort into the details and amenities, than the square footage (although 2700 sq ft is still a large home by many standards) to justify the cost in the market in which it was built. I believe the trend that will come back to haunt the homes of this era is the focus on an abundance of plain, empty square footage that most families do not warrant, yet are strapped to pay for in maintenance.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

For a beach home, I think the look is timeless! Although, a few updates could be made throughout the years. As mentioned, the floors are not my favorite. Perhaps they would look better with rugs and furniture.

We love St. Simmons and Sea Island. As a child and as an adult, we have spent many weeks at The Cloister. Since the resort was bought out and changed, it's just not the same and we have stopped going. :(

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 11:04

• jrueter
    9 years ago

5 years ago I was planning a similar white kitchen, and started getting cold feet that the white kitchen was played out, already looking dated, etc. But I loved it, so I went for it. I figured I would keep the more permanent items like cabinets and backsplash neutral and the lighting, faucet, knobs and pulls could bring in the casual look I wanted with a nod toward vintage. I could easily swap these items out along with some other accessories and make the same white kitchen go glam, or very traditional. Plus I enjoy swapping out fruit bowls, dish towels and other items to suit the season. My white kitchen is a great canvas!

Anyway, after more than 4 years with my "new" kitchen it still makes me smile.