Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovetoshop_gw

warm vs cool beige paint

lovetoshop
14 years ago

I have tried to teach myself from the internet about warm vs cool paint but still feel confused. I am trying to choose a light beige wall color for our bedroom. The room is on the darker side so I want to brighten it up with a light beige. I like Dunn Edwards Floating Feather DE6142 and also Cream Washed DE6149. One has more yellow tones and the other more brown tones. I have no idea which would work better in our room. HELP..I need a lession paint 101!

Comments (10)

• jovtfam4
    14 years ago

Both colors you chose are in the warm color family. That's a good thing. The next thing you need to look at is the LRV (Light Reflective Value). The higher the number, the brighter the room will be. Floating Feather has the LRV 65 and Cream Washed's LRV is 71. (If you don't have the LRV on the chip type it in where it says to search for color name or number and the color will appear with the LRV. I like Cream Washed better. We have a color similar to that in our dark bedroom and it is wonderful with white trim. If you don't already have white trim, I would consider painting it white, doors and all. Did you like Melted Wax at all? That color looks nice on the computer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dunn Edwards website

• lovetoshop
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the reply. How did you find that both are warm colors? I did not see that on the DE website. I have ordered sample cans and am going to do a test tomorrow to see which color works best. Can you tell me why you said that picking warm colors is a good thing? I do not understand the difference between warm and cool colors. Thanks!

• jovtfam4
    14 years ago

You can search for the colors by family on the website. Both were in the warm family. You wanted to warm up and brighten the room so you picked the right color family. Cool toned colors can be used too, but it's a bit more tricky. You would need to balance them with white and warmer accents. Colors in the warm family have warm undertones like orange, yellow and red. Colors in the cool family have undertones of cooler colors like blue.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shows cool or warm neutrals here.

• lovetoshop
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ok, put them both on the wall and cream washed is way too yellowish creamy. In certain light the Floating Feather gives off a peachish tone. Only in bright natural light which our new master bedroom will have very little, however the adjoining bath is very bright. Not sure what to do! I can't keep spending money on paint testers!

• trisha57_ny
    14 years ago

I think the nicest bedrooms I've seen are painted in a taupe color, with white bedding, with off-white, taupe pillows and blanket and curtains.
    Then accessorize with silver -- lamp bases, curtain rods, just one or two sterling silver plates (or something in sterling silver) -- candel sticks, etc.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

The room is on the darker side so I want to brighten it up with a light beige.

So cream washed it too yellowish creamy and Floating Feather is peachish -- I'm assuming you are looking at the samples in the new master bedroom in order to determine this.

Can you describe what *kind* of beige you want and anything else you might want or expect it to *do* besides lift the atmosphere of dim room.

I do not understand the difference between warm and cool colors.

When it comes to wall color, you have to be aware of what "warm" and "cool" really means. In situ undertone and color temperature is revealed when the wall color is juxtaposed to the other colors and elements and exposed to the inherent light in the space. What makes a color "cool" or "warm" is determined when it's experienced in the three-dimensional space it will reside. Outside of that experience, on it's own, whether a color is labeled "warm" or "cool" by some other sets of eyeballs is irrelevant to you and your three-dimensional space.

Labeling a paint color as warm or cool can be useful but it's not a fact. It's just a way for paint companies to organize and categorize 2D paint chips. Sometimes those labels of "warm" or "cool" will stick and end up being true and accurate. On the other hand, sometimes unique, 3D context will affect perception and the labels will shift and drift from warm to cool or visa versa.

Color Theory 101 stuff about the color wheel being split down the middle with red/orange/yellow on the warm side and green/blue/violet on the cool side isn't the most relevant color information when it comes to coloring 3D environments. It's 2D color theory trying fit on, and mean something to, 3D structure; some parts of basic color theory are applicable and some are simply lacking too much in the way of dimension to really be useful.

Very little light is another way of saying that there is a limited spectrum of wavelengths (of light) spilling or beaming into the space. The light is not robust, varied, or diverse. This is the basis of the philosophy that light colors need light to be seen. There's not much, if anything, you can do to change the natural light that a room receives. It is what it is. But you can do something about the color in a can of paint. If you don't have robust light to work with, you can try robust, complex paint colors. That's where full spectrum or multi-pigmented paint colors can be a solution.

• lovetoshop
    Original Author
    14 years ago

funcolors- that was like a PhD course in paint and light. Very deep! Thank you!

As the sun is setting tonight, I am liking the color of Floating Feather better. It looks less peachy.

My husband on the other hand suggests we go with a color we have already had in our house for the past 8 years called Dunn Edwards Bone (we darkened it to bone 1 1/2). I would like to make a change but am so scared of making the wrong choice. If we don't like our selection, repainting won't be an option since we are hiring professionals and my husband will not be wanting to redo it or pay for it to be redone.

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

Are you looking at the samples side by side on your wall? I just replaced my beige walls with beige walls, and it's amazing that I didn't realize how much pink was in my pre-beige color until I replaced it with my more yellow-toned beige color (SW Believable Buff). DH and I now laugh about our "pink" walls that we lived with for years and were quite happy with - and I thought I had the perfect neutral khaki all along.

When I'm looking at one of my rooms that is now entirely repainted, it doesn't look too yellow at all, but in the rooms that are unpainted and still have my sample board next to the old wall color, the pink and yellow undertones are obvious. So, what I'm saying is, don't write off either color as being too pink or too yellow, because IMO all beiges seem have some undertone that might scream at you if they are side by side but won't be noticeable at all once the room is painted.

A good example of this is looking at tan paint card samples. If you just look at one strip, it might just seem like a nice neutral beige, but when you put three strips side by side, you can really pick out the gold, green, pink gray, etc., in each one.

If that makes any sense - I'm tired!

• lovetoshop
    Original Author
    14 years ago

yes that makes sense. I think I like the Floating Feather but as I saw someone else use the word in another post it looks a tad "fleshy" in certain light.

• bnaarrd_gmail_com
    14 years ago

funcolors-

i too am looking for a beige for my double height foyer which gets tons of light. i want a gray-beige color, i do not want too much of a green or yellow undertone- any suggestions? your input would be greatly appreciated. So far, i have looked at F&B, BM, and restoration hardware, and have not found the color i am looking for. I just ordered some sample cards from EK. I am open to both FS or regular.

thanks
    bonnnie