Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whallyden

Entry Table

whallyden
11 years ago

The ID is planning a 32-34" center table in our entry. Anyone that's lived with a similar arrangement care to comment on livability? I love the look, but worried it will constantly be in the way given the size of the entry...

Comments (8)

• jr1000
    11 years ago

I think a center table would look nice. Have you tried marking out the table on the floor and seeing how that would work?

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

I assume that the front door and closet doors won't often be wide open at the same time, so it seems to me that that size table would work fine. I'd go for a round table, not square.

A good way to "test" it is to cut out that same size in some sort of kraft paper or even newspaper, and walk around it for a few days and see how it feels.

If you're still unsure, it looks like you have space for a decent size table or bureau to the left of the door as you come in. The only issue with a center table is that I would feel compelled to make it look pretty and clean all the time, and then where do you throw your keys, mail, etc?

• blfenton
    11 years ago

Review your projected pathways. Will your family use the front entrance as the main entrance or is it just for guests. How often will you walk from the DR to the Library(?). If the entry way won't be used as a traffic walkway I wouldn't worry about it.

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I'm a little skeptical. It might look okay, but with the entry door off-center in the room and all of the other openings, I'd have to try it out on approval before I committed to it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Perhaps an oval table would fit the space better?

• whallyden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. The entry will be 99% guest traffic and I don't see much traffic between the Library (AKA toy dump) and Dining. I'll try to mock something up to get a better sense.

• housefairy
    11 years ago

As was suggested here, a mock up is something you should try. However cut out a piece of cardboard the size and shape you want. Then place it on TOP of a box, crate, etc. You'll need the height to see if you are going to run into it with your hip.

• annzgw
    11 years ago

Are you now living in the house? The measurements on the blueprint don't add up to actual size of the area since the 10'8" measurement is including a stud wall (plus...10'8" + 1'8" doesn't add up to 12' 6"). Actual usable area is less than 10' 8" x 11' 8" and with walls/doors on 4 sides, in addition to cross-traffic flow, I'd say no, you don't have room for a table.

My entry is 9'3" by 12' 6" (opening into large hallway) and there's no way I have room for a table in the center of the area.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz