Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunfeather

Drapery experts I need help!

sunfeather
9 years ago

I need to block street light in guest room. I already have plantation shutters but the light still comes through them as well as the transoms. Would love the hear any and all thoughts.
{{!gwi}}

Comments (21)

• Lars
    9 years ago

If you want to go with drapes, you can use a heavy chenille or velvet to block a lot of light. Also, you can buy interfacing or lining fabric that is virtually opaque - I prefer the interfacing to the opaque lining.

I made chenille drapes for all my bedroom windows (four in all), and they do a good job of blocking out light, even at noon. Since the fabric was already heavy, I only used a light cotton lining, but generally I only close them at night, unless I want to take a midday nap. They are not pleated, as I did not want that much bulk, but they still block the light.

I have also made Roman shades with a light blocking lining, but you appear to have enough wall space beside the windows for full drapes.

Lars

• sunfeather
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would like to use the wall space between the windows so I'm thinking pulling drapes to one side. Don't know if I should do a decorative rod with rings or a pull drape with some small cornice if that is even possible.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I would put up drapes on decorative traverse rods that can be opened and closed easily...mounted up near the crown molding so they cover the entire window.

• Sujafr
    9 years ago

I love plantation shutters so would be reluctant to add panels, though I've seen it work well for others. Here's another idea that might work if your windows are deep enough.

We have a vacation home that the PO had installed sun shades--great for blocking the sun while allowing viewing outside, but totally worthless for privacy at night. In the kitchen DH was able to do an inside mount lined bamboo roman shade in front of the roller shade.

Now I'm not suggesting you use sun shades, but it made me realize that if you have several inches of depth to your window, there's room for doubling up. So you might install a black out roller shade inside the window between the plantation shutter and the window glass. At least my plantation shutters seem to have that much room in my windows, and the shades would be completely out of sight.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

If you're wanting to block out all light and still be able to use the wall between your window, your best bet is to use rods with returns as linked below.
    JCP and Walmart both carry a version, similar the one linked below. WM is much more reasonably priced and well made also.
    With your high windows you'd want an attached wand to help open and close them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Energy efficient return curtain rod.

This post was edited by justgotabme on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 20:08

• amykath
    9 years ago

Given that you have those lovely transoms, I would go with curtains and keep them narrow and hang them above the transoms. If you get a type of blackout curtain, you can easily close them when you want for privacy and open them when you want sunlight.

Something such as this (no. 1), but you could go for less material, maybe just enough to be able to shut the curtains for total closure. Then you would still have plenty of room to add a piece of furniture in between the windows.

• caminnc
    9 years ago

If you don't want to use drapes you could do something like this.

• caminnc
    9 years ago

Backside

• sunfeather
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! Decorative traverse rod - now, that's a thought.

Sujafr - your suggestion is a good one but wouldn't help with the light coming in through the transom windows.

Aktillery - all of the people I have asked about making the drapes have suggested fullness but I get what you're saying - I don't need fullness - just something to cover at night. Thanks for that point. I do want the windows totally clear of drapes during the day to let in as much light as possible.

Cam - Love those shades but I don't think I want to remove the shutters.

Everyone - if I put a decorative traverse rod that opens to the left on the left window and to the right on the right window - how far beyond the outside of the window frame should the rods be? Notice the asymmetry of the windows.

• caminnc
    9 years ago

I think you should use both.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I wouldn't do the asymmetrical treatment as it will call more attention to the fact that the 2 windows are not centered on the wall.

• sunfeather
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie - I'm not sure I follow why asymmetrical treatment you're talking about - are you referring to pulling the curtains to one side rather than having on both sides of the windows? I'm trying to seek space between the windows for furniture placement - there aren't a lot of walls where I can put things in this room.

Cam - I have a transom that I need to cover as well so having the shades wouldn't take care of that. But I do love the shades that you posted. Nice fabric.

• sunfeather
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all of the feedback.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Very quick virtual drawing, but if you want to pull the curtains to the opposite sides to allow light in during the day, but still keep the light out at night I think the idea of traverse rods really would work the best since they rods would be too high to easily reach. I didn't think of that when I mentioned the rods I did above. In order to keep the room from looking lopsided you could install a corner cabinet/shelf unit painted to match the trim to fill the bare wall space on the right.
    For best results I'd have the cabinet built-in so it's left side is the same distance from the window trim as the corner on the left side of the room is to the trim of that window. After I made this quick drawing I reallized you could possibly have your carpenter use the trim that is in the corner for the front of the cabinet. Since it will be painted it would be okay if there was a seam.

This post was edited by justgotabme on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 20:17

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

You need 2 one way draw decorative traverse rods to achieve the above look. Most traverse Rods may be adjusted for one way draw, left or right, Or a center pull 2 way draw.

To figure stackback so that your glass is completely bare when draperies are open check out the following chart.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I was thinking that maybe a narrow plant in the corner (right) would help balance the window placement. Just a thought.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

o You need fullness to make the drapes look right when they're shut and the fullness will help to block the light as there's more material there. To keep from blocking the window too much when they're open, you set the drapery rod wider than the window so when they're stacked back, they just skim the window edge.

o Yes, I mean pulling the drapes to one side each vs splitting in the middle. I would prefer to see them split in the middle and stack back to each side as the windows are not centered on the wall.

o You can still put furniture in front of the drapes, but not crushed up against the wall. You just leave room for the drapes to hang behind the furniture pieces.

[Contemporary Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2103) by Washington Architects & Building Designers Studio Santalla, Inc

• sunfeather
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I want the drapes to clear the window during the day to get as much light as possible. So, the rods would have to come out at least about 12" on either side - more if I use more fabric. That would leave about 2 feet of wall space in the middle.

Annie- I've not seen curtains behind furniture before. But, seeing Gotabe's drawing (thanks!) - it does seem like the center opening looks better.

And Marji - the chart is a great tool - thank you.

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

Check out some rooms on Houzz. Furniture is placed in front of curtains all the time. Back in the early 90's, in the days of big English Chintzes and abundance, I did floor to ceiling draperies on the whole wall behind my big 4 poster bed, and pulled the drapes back over the window openings on each side. The whole wall treatment covered up the fact that my bed actually didn't fit between the windows but encroached over them, and it covered some plaster issues that I didn't feel like fixing right away. The house was 100 year old Victorian, with lots of quirks. My bed, night stand and a round table all stood in front of the draperies.
    I agree that two center pull window treatments would look better in your room than two side pull. With two side pull the onus is on the arrangement in the middle to be pretty spectacular too.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I'm glad my drawing helped rrs626.
    I have one question though.
    What type of furniture are you wanting to put between the windows?

• sunfeather
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Justgotabme, I haven't really decided about the furniture. I hope to post more pictures of the room today.

I'm thinking of an iron bed, bedside tables, reading chair with side table, a bench at the foot of the bed and a chest of drawers or armoire with a mirror and drawers and another piece with a horizontal surface for guests to use. That's a lot of stuff to fit into the room but I think it can be done without being to crowded.

The chest/armoire will probably be the piece between the windows. Or I could put it on the wall perpendicular to the right window. Then put a table/desk between the windows which could also hold a reading lamp for the chair. So many decisions!