Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting bedroom furniture

Posted by frmrsdghtr (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 17:09

Two parts to my post :)
1.Can I paint cheap veneer furniture? The veneer is very cheap - if I put a piece of tape on the dresser and pull it off the veneer comes off too. However, I have a whole set of this and they still function great so I'd like to keep (most of?) them and just update the look. Any ideas on if I can paint them and what to use?
2. I like a collected look for my bedroom but it's a whole set. I'm thinking of getting a new headboard to help with this. But any other ideas? I especially don't like the huge mirror attached to my dresser. Should I remove it when painting? Would that help too?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting bedroom furniture

I'm pretty sure you can give it a good cleaning, then prime it and paint it. Get the primer tinted to the paint color so it will look better.

o

Before you prime it, sand it with coarse sandpaper . That will help the primer and paint stay on the furniture.

o

I like your idea of re-purposing the mirror and adding a different headboard to freshen the look along with paint. I don't know your style, but since the furniture isn't heirloom quality, you could have fun with it and decoupage or stencil it if that would fit in with your decor.

o

I think it's a great idea - but be careful about sanding easily damaged veneer, though. If tape pulls it off, sandpaper may really make a big mess of it. Think I'd just clean well, prime and paint.

o

Thanks, all. If any of you have done this can you share what paint/primer you've used? I've read lots on chalk paint but since it's on wood I can't distress these and I'm pretty sure chalk paint is only good if you are going to distress.

o

use a sanding liquid instead of sanding worked great for me. As far as the mirror-would need to see a pic. I like a mirror above my dresser-dated or not. It's just what the mirror looks like that makes the difference to me. I replaced my hutch mirror with a wood framed one and still love it.

o

Zinsser BIN primer is excellent. It's oil based but you can paint over it with latex. If you are planning to use as dark paint, have it tinted grey.

This is my favorite tutorial for furniture painting:

Here is a link that might be useful: How to paint furniture

o

I wonder if you could just slab on chalk paint?

o

You might try posting this in the paint forum...there are some folks there who are technical about paint products and applications...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here