Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

My son moved out...

Sueb20
10 years ago

I had to think for a bit about whether this belongs on the Conversations side or this side! But it's mostly decorating related, I suppose. My oldest son moved into an apt. a week ago, which is a good thing for all of us. He moved the last of his stuff over today. (He's only about 5 miles away.) The pictures show what the room looked like before he moved the last pile of stuff. I have spent the afternoon cleaning and it has become obvious that we need to replace the carpet, it's so gross. My son is a slob. Also, lots of paint touch ups.

This will be a guest room (until/unless he returns, or until one of my other kids wants the room). Almost all the furniture went with him except for the bed, a desk (which goes soon), and a small bookcase. With all his junk out, I was able to look around and realize it's actually a pretty nice room for an attic space!

I moved the bed so it's now centered under the windows, and I'll look for new bedding and some cute, inexpensive nightstands. Maybe a small chair, too. I guess my point is to both share my excitement about having a new little project and show the "before" pictures. I'll follow up later with the "after" pics!

Comments (15)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the other end of the room.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Pretty room. I really like the wall color.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

You're going to enjoy that space now that it will be neat and tidy lol. Watch and see, your son will be come fastidious in his own place. lol I like the room, it's got a nice cozy feeling. I can see myself up there in a big comfy chair with the window open and feeling like I'm in a tree house.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

What a great space! You should do a room just for you, a craft room, music room, or exercise room. Make it your own so there is no chance on anyone thinking they might move back in lol. You could always have a nice blowup bed for guests a waiting in the closet.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Wonderful space. I, too, can see it as a cozy retreat with a comfy reading chair.

So exciting to anticipate the changes and to make it a pretty space for you and guests! Can't wait to see the 'after' pictures! Hope your son loves being on his own-with no reason to move back home...hahaha.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

I love attic rooms and that one is especially cute. Looking forward to the afters.

• Ashsmith1972
    10 years ago

I love the color. It's so tranquil--gives a bit of an atmosphere/sky feeling to the space.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, that's the ever popular BM Quiet Moments! One of my favorites.

• amykath
    10 years ago

Wonderful room! I love the door... so unique and what character! I cannot wait to see you afters!

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Sue, i can't comment on the room, but will use your son as an example. Little boys who are *allowed* to be slobs grow up to be young men who are slobs. Moms, rein in your boy(s). His wife will thank you. My daughter-in-law has thanked me repeatedly since she never has to pick up after him my son, it's the opposite. ;o)

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

And some times you have to pick your battles and being slobby is the least of your concerns.

Very cute room & fun project. Love the door!

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Kelly, yep you sure do, but then you're creating a future problem for someone else. Some things should be nipped in the bud, no excuses.

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

Both my boys were slobs growing up, but we were tight on space along with gerbils, fishtanks, dogs, etc. so couldn't complain too much.

They have both become fastidious, guess their wives did a better job with them than I did, lol!

I agree with Kelly, you have to pick your battles and priorities!... I'm proud of them both!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I really don't want to comment on patty's judgment of my parenting other than to say that kellyeng is so right about picking battles. I have 3 kids, same parenting -- one turned out to have ADD, executive function issues, anxiety, and the tendency to be a slob. Luck of the draw, not lack of parental discipline. I didn't "create" his challenges. But thanks so much for your constructive advice. Maybe someone else here can benefit from it.

Oh wait, I said I wasn't going to comment.

Just popped over to Home Goods and picked up a cute quilt with blues and purples, now just need to find nightstands that work with the low-ish bed. This week I'll be touching up the paint and finding a good carpet cleaner. I decided to clean it rather than replace it, at least for now.

• daisyinga
    10 years ago

I think it's a wise parent, sueb20, who picks her battles.

Enjoy decorating that room. It sounds like it will be so cute. And enjoy your semi-empty nest!