Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

A Craigslist steal

neetsiepie
10 years ago

I got all 3 of the darling arm chairs for $20 today! The csning is in excellent condition, and the seats are horsehair-but covered in gold vinyl! I havent yet checked for a makers mark, but it doesnt really matter for the price II paid.

The seller said they had been used in a restaurant. And were from her. Father-in-laws estate. I only wish she`d had more.

I`m going to paint them and recover with ticking, and hoping I.can reuse the original nail head tacks, too. I could go with either white or black for the paint...suggestions?

Comments (13)

• violetwest
    10 years ago

cute!

wondering . . . y'all are comfortable buying upholstered furniture from CL? I'd be worried about bugs . . . and things (although admittedly there's not that much upholstery in the chairs in this post)

• sreedesq
    10 years ago

I really like them. I think an off white paint would look great. Then with new upholstery - what are you thinking there?

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Violet-West, I have never worried about items I have purchased from CL, including upholstered pieces having bugs. Usually one could tell from the surroundings if there would be that possibility and, if that is the case, just call and cancel your appointment to view the item(s).

Pesky, the chairs are wonderful. Great find.

This post was edited by walnutcreek on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 19:10

• always1stepbehind
    10 years ago

I like the shape, not too overly ornate. Score!!

• trailrunner
    10 years ago

I hope my3dogs chimes in. I think the chairs would really benefit from the chalk paint and wax. Give them a lot more subtlety like the 2 she just sold to kwsl. The cloth you choose for the seats along with the color could really make these "show offs " ....fabulous find. c

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

I agree they are a steal - better even than some of MY great buys. I had thoughts once of using the original nail heads from one of my re-dos, but they just didn't come out straight.

Nail heads are very inexpensive, if you shop right. There are several on eBay, for example, but just compare prices, as some are ridiculously high.

I used Annie Sloan Old Ochre on the chairs that kswl bought; which to me is an off-white and not ochre at all. Mine had a 'fruit wood' finish when I bought them, lighter than yours. What color ticking stripes do you plan to use? To me, that would decide the color you paint the chairs.

This is after the Old Ochre, sanding, and light brown BriWax.

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

omg....are you in Greenville SC too?

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That chair is what made me think of using ticking My3dogs! I love what you did to it. Not sure what color ticking-I think one might go in my guest room once I redo it, and if so, I'd use cream/taupe.

Not sure about the other two-might be that DD2 would like them for her house. Then it'd probably be some pink color. I actually saw a faded out Union Jack print done in very faded colors-almost in the taupe-y tones, and it'd look sooo fun on those chairs.

I live in NW Oregon Bee. Every once in a great while I come across the most amazing scores on CL. A few years ago I got 6 ornate, chippy, wrought iron chairs. They're missing seats, but they are sooo fabulous. One day I'm going to make seats and use them out on the deck during summers. I paid $25 for those six chairs. They're easily worth that for scrap! Actually, I should get those out and fix them up and sell them at the antique mall!

• teeda
    10 years ago

Pesky, you got a great deal. I have two chairs identical to yours--right down to the gold vinyl seat. I painted them an off white, but didn't want to spend the time or money to reupholster the seats (they were going in a bedroom and probably wouldn't be sat on much). I tried Annie Sloane chalk paint on the vinyl seats and it worked beautifully! You could probably even "paint" a Union Jack on the seat, then lightly distress. Enjoy!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Oh, Pesky! You've got my creative wheels turning! I looked up Union Jack fabric, and while I LOVE the first 2 in the second row in the link below, it would be over $100 a yard US plus shipping from the UK, if it's still available.

But I have some soft canvas, and recently bought some textile medium to add to acrylic paint. I can play with painting my own fabric, or even piecing fabrics to make a Union Jack to do a chair in. FUN!

Even though I see many images of pieces done with the flag on the seat and back, I think I do it only on the back, and coordinate a seat fabric, out of respect for the flag.

Here is a link that might be useful: Images of Union Jack fabrics

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I know this will probably sound a tad pissy, but using the US flag and, by exension any country's flag, on furniture, clothes, etc. is considered disrespectful. May look cool, but really isn't proper.

Flag Used on Inanimate Objects
    The flag should not be emblazoned on items such as lawn chairs, paper products, yard goods and furniture. (U.S. Code, Title 4, Chapter 1, Section 8) âÂÂThe flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speakerâÂÂs desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general...â The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything. The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown. No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin, being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Oh, and pesky, amazing find. Can't wait to see them when you finish! Just don't use a flag pattern-;)

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love the idea of painting that on the back of the chair! And I never thought of painting fabric. I want to do the UJ in tribute to my favorite band (and as a reminder of the fantastic time I had with them in Las Vegas this year)

Here is a link that might be useful:

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler