Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

Finally, my Master Bedroom UPDATE !!!

nhb22
13 years ago

BEWARE: Long thread with multiple photos. Overload! lol

Some of you have been helping me along during the last couple of months with updating my Master bedroom, which all started because I wanted curtains to soften the wood blinds. :) I eventually decided to work on the entrance hallway, along with the Master bath. You gave links to web addresses, made suggestions and helped make decisions on curtains, rods, curtain rings, pillows, mirror hanging, etc. Thank you, thank you!

After many weeks, I am finally ready to unveil my work. I made all changes with a budget in mind. I am pleased to say that my Master "Suite" make-over totaled well under $500. That even includes the comforter set that I bought about a year ago! I will not list all pricing, but will list where or how I acquired all the new decorating items for my rooms.

Lets start with the entrance hallway, then the bath and finally ...the bedroom. :-)

Entrance Hallway Before:

Contemporary, original signed artwork that was inherited from brother-in-law. My DH insisted that it be showcased in a prominent place. Although we both loved the artwork, I always felt it did not fit with my bedroom. It has been relocated to the breakfast room and looks fabulous with my red! This artwork hung over a "white elephant" of an air return. We tried to hide this eye-sore with many different options and none seem to work.

Entrance Hallway During:

After spying the mirror hanging in an antique store, and noticing a fantastic price, my children surprised me with the mirror for Mother's Day. :) The painted screen (by a great aunt) looked unbalanced under the mirror, and too skinny to completely cover the return.

Entrance Hallway After:

I painted the air return to match our walls and ordered the iron screen from Overstock. Unfortunately, it arrived damaged, and after a week, another arrived yesterday, and in great shape! Overstock was wonderful, and told me to keep the damaged item. I am giving to my daughter for an outdoor room. I plan to paint the center medallion gold and add detail to the leaves, to "marry" the screen with the mirror. A table would better balance the space, but there is not enough door clearance for one, nor could I find a narrow table within my budget.

I love the way the mirror looks when you are walking towards it from the back hallway. Plus, it doesn't fight with the artwork from the dining room and living room.

Mirror - FREE ~ Paint - FREE ~ Screen - 2 for one price ($61) - One FREE for my daughter. :)

Now for the bathroom.

Bath Before:

Naked walls, and a couple of plants on the tub deck, was all we had on the window wall. I painted the mat and relocated the lily water color (painted by my late MIL) to the study.

Bath After:

I found the perfect curtain panels at BBB, in the reduced bin! The green stripe mirrors my new comforter, the gold stripe matches the BM Decatur Buff paint in my bedroom and the cream stripe matches the BM Putnam Ivory of the bath. I had planned to use the same curtains that I put in the bedroom, but these are more water friendly and add a little zing to the bathroom walls. The paintings on the side walls (also by my MIL) were relocated from the bedroom. The antique corner shelving unit (from great aunt) was brought down from the bonus room. I purchased inexpensive white cotton towels, and hand towels from Wal*Mart to fill the spaces, added a glass globe full of hotel soaps and sponges, and topped it all with a room atomizer for a soothing spa look. Storage books from Hobby Lobby were added near my vanity. Sorry the photos are blurry. :(

Curtains - $19.99 a panel ~ Rod - $39 ~ Paintings - FREE ~ Corner Shelf - FREE ~ Towels - around $20 ~ Books - $15 ~ Glass Globe and Soaps - FREE

The Master Bedroom (The gold hues in this room photograph horribly! Looks much better in person.)

Bedroom Before:

Lacked any style, softness, or elegance. Lamps were too small and the artwork didn't really match. Accessories were lacking. The previous comforter and bed skirt were made by me, dated, and way too heavy for sleeping. No matching shams. Before the rugs were added (pre-makeover) the room was cold and stark.

Bedroom After:

I found a great deal on Faux Silk curtain panels at JC Penny with sales, additional store discounts and a tax free incentive. Then I found the rods and rings at Tuesday Morning. I found taller lamps at Hancock Fabric, and new gold shades at Ross. I did not like the wooden ball finials that came with the lamps, so I found some on eBay at a steal! The bedside table on DH's side has an added oil painting that I previously had in the bathroom. My side has a new plant. I bought a very cute hunting dog lamp for DH's chest of drawers, and Faux leather books to set it on. For my chest of drawers, I borrowed a painted piece from the living room, and used a napkin holder to dress up our sound machine.

My biggest bargain was finding three ornate frames, a beveled mirror and a Framed Tuscany poster (using it on porch) on Craigslist. The frames came with calendar prints that were not to my liking, so I came up with an idea. I wanted everything in the room to go with the Lowcountry theme of the Charleston, SC print we have hanging over the bed. I took photographs that I liked, and used my photo art program to transform them into a "painting" look. Then, I sent them off to Shutterfly and had them printed in 8 x10's. They look wonderful on either side of the bed, and over our chest of drawers, but I may buy some new non-glare glass for them.

Next, I used existing pillows, but added two more gold tone to the group. I used my old comforter at the bottom of the bed, and draped a gold table runner(matched the curtains exactly) over the bedding. The basket in the corner holds my pillows when I am too lazy to put them on the bed. The yellow, green and gold chair had to stay, but it blends well and has a matching pillow on the bed.

Lastly, the painted fireplace screen was brought in for the French doors. And, that's about it! Thanks for looking.

WELCOME

Tuscany Poster Print

{{gwi:1620366}}

Chris Madden Faux Silk Panels - $26 each ~ Rods - $29 each for short/$39 each for long ~ Bedside TableLamps - Don't remember ~ Lamp Shades - $4.99 each ~ Finials' - 2 for $4 ~ Hunting Dog Lamp - $17 ~ Storage Books - Various prices from Hobby Lobby/Ross ~ Frames, Poster and Mirror - $50 ~ Photo Art Prints - 3 for $10 ~ All the rest - FREE

Comments (38)

• les917
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

A lovely, elegant space! GREAT JOB! Thanks for sharing the story and pix - so fun to see the before and after.

Only things I would be tempted to try would be to move the dresser that has the dog lamp over more to the left, and tuck the wing chair there instead of where it is now, which feels a bit crowded. I would take the basket for the pillows and put that where the wing chair is currently, with the painted fireplace screen in front of the basket, tucking it all at an angle between the drapery and the chest.

• teacats
    13 years ago

BRAVO!!!!!

Standing and Clapping hands!!! :)

A wonderful transformation -- and magazine worthy Before-and After!

Thanks for sharing your stories too -- I love to read about bargain hunting!

Pop the champagne -- and let's celebrate! :)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

What a wonderful transformation - you must be thrilled. I especially love the comforter. It's stunning. Thanks for sharing - she mumbles as she realizes that her bedroom is long overdue for an update!

• natal
    13 years ago

Amazing! Really looks nice.

Since you painted the air return I don't think you need anything in front of it. That screen doesn't hide it ... it just seems to highlight it.

• Lyban zone 4
    13 years ago

Newhomebuilder: What a wonderful job you have done to make a nice place even better.
    The new comforter is really gorgeous and with the drapes and new lamps your bedroom is smashing, like the rest of your home which I have always admired.
    What a great find on the bathroom drapes and they really warm up that space.
    You have such a good eye.

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous NHB. Very well done and at a great over all price.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Wow...great job and on such a small budget. Your colors are so rich and the curtains really make the walls pop. Well balanced and your concept for the photos is unique and looks wonderful. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

My two favorite things....that sumptuous bedding and the drapes in the master bath. Your photographs turned out beautifully too!
    Incredible job for under $500.

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

Wow - I really like your before pictures but your changes made everything look even more warm and inviting! What a difference curtain panels and other touches can make.

I wish had your talent for accessorizing the tops of dressers and tables. My nightstands and dressers are a jumbled mess and I really need to wipe the slate clean and start with some lamps and then add in decorative whatnots and all.

I really like your antique corner shelving unit in the bathroom and the frame to hide the air return. What a great idea!

Where did you get your rug leading into the master? I need to start rug shopping and have no idea where to start!

• nikkia2112
    13 years ago

Wow! What a beautiful job you did! I love the bedding and the new drapes. The drapes in the bathroom really make the space. Beautiful!!

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

Wonderful job. My only issue is exactly what Natal said.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Wow, everything certainly looked good before, but it is just spectacular now. Love the architectural details like the columns and moulding.

• Pat z6 MI
    13 years ago

Would the color of your walls possibly be "Baby Turtle?" Gorgeous!

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Another vote to remove the screen from in front of the return. Painting it was the smart thing to do, but placing something in front of it is only drawing attention to it.

Great job! Love the drapes in both rooms. Also love the mirror and the low country pics.

I'd like to see a bit of red (maybe pillows, etc.) - at least I think that's red in your rug. Also, I'd remove the table runner from the bed. And the screen in front of the french doors is beautiful, but isn't it in the way there? Try Les's suggestion or I'd move that to another room.

Lots of bang for the buck!

tina

• booboo60
    13 years ago

Beautiful!! Great job AND on a budget:)
    I agree with 'natal'....I don't think you need anything in front of that grill now that you have painted it.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

les917 - Thank you, that means a lot coming from you.

We tried putting the chair next to DH's COD when we first moved in and it did not look right. Push it all the way back, and it looked lost. Smaller items should not be in corners behind larger items. Pulled it out some, and DH could not get to his drawers. I don't use my COD because I have built in's and a chest in my closet. I prefer to have all my clothes in with my hanging clothes. As I said, the chair has to stay because DH would flip if I tried to remove it. If it were up to me, I'd have it out, and up in the bonus room. The dog has also taken up sleeping in it. lol I can also open the French door without it (or the screen) being in the way.

Thank you, Jan at Rosemary Cottage, maire_cate, lyban, justgotabme, vampiressrn, deedee99, nikkia2112 and gsciencechick...such kind comments...from everyone!

natal, sueb20, tinam61 and twotogo - Now, I didn't go through all the trouble with Overstock to remove the thing all together. lol I think the flash must have caused the return to show up more than it actually does. We can hardly see it in normal conditions (I just ran in to take a peak. :)) The mirror needs an anchor and that's the best I can do, but thank you for the thought.

So many of you have mentioned the comforter. I got a bargain on that last year at Stein Mart. I posted on the board at the time that I had searched for a couple of years for the perfect color to go with my walls and rugs.

juddgirl2 - I learned all I know from this board! I was really limited with the chest of drawers, because there is not much you can do to hide a phone, clock radio and a sleep machine. :) I could do a little more on DH's side of the bed, but he doesn't like fuss. He allowed what I did on his COD's because I told him he can store all his change in the storage books. Currently, it is tumbling out of the little box in the center.

I got the matching rugs at a place in Asheville, NC, called
    Rug and Home (see link.) We searched forever to find the rugs to match the other bedding and THAT chair. I would like to get one more runner for the entrance hall.

patann - BM Decatur Buff...more of a gold, not green.

tinam61 - More pillows! DH would have a stroke, but good idea...thanks! It's burgandy.

Oh, about that table runner. I had planned to make pillows out of it, but realized I had enough pillows and why tear up a good runner. Then I placed it on the bench, but the dog kept knocking it off. I thought it gave a pop of color on the other comforter. Most of the time, it just hangs on the back of THAT chair, lol

HUH...and I thought the only thing wrong with my room was that you were going to tell me the side pictures were too low! :( They are at eye level (I'm 5'9") however, they seem low to me. Perhaps it's because of the taller lamps.

Can't keep up with the thread responses, so sorry if I missed anyone while typing this. It's bedtime. Thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug and Home

• CaroleOH
    13 years ago

I love your changes. I think the addition of the panels really cozied up the room and made it so inviting. I also liked the use of panels in your bathroom. They look perfect there and a nice change from the normal bathroom window swag or valance!

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Carol!

Looking back at the photos, I just realized that the chair is forward more than norm. The right leg usually sits back several inches, but I had to move it so that both front legs were on the rug. Everytime the dog would jump in the chair, it would move and was scratching the floor.

I mentioned to DH about putting the reddish pillows on the bed and he said "is it our bedroom or a bordello?" :roll eyes:

• redbazel
    13 years ago

Very elegant, and just like a magazine layout. You started with a pretty house, but now it just flows and looks so well thought out. Beautiful!

Red

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

newhomebuilder, I loved your home the way it was but with the changes, it is even more cozy and stunning to me. You have such exquisite taste and just know how to accessorize and put together a room. I especially love your Master Bedroom's comforter, pillows and those gorgeous new panels.

Thanks for sharing and giving us all ideas.

• loribee
    13 years ago

WOW...lovely home!
    All your finishing touches are perfection. ENJOY!!

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    13 years ago

It's absolutely gorgeous but you are SO going to trip over that screen as you come out of the bathroom.

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

You have a lot of talent! I enjoy your photos.

• nicole__
    13 years ago

Very nice!!!! Bravo!!!!

• dakota01
    13 years ago

WOW - You did a great job!

I have a four poster bed too - I havent' decided if I want to do a tray ceiling or not - after seeing yours I'm thinking I should do it! I was just worried with the high posts the tray may be too close to them. Do you have enough space between the tray and the top of your posts?

My ceiling will be 9 ft. so I "should" have enough room.

Doo you like having a door to your patio in the bedroom?

I had one on my plan - but at the last minute I took it out - mainly for security reasons.

Do you use the door?

• nik211
    13 years ago

Ahh, looks great!!!

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you redbazel, lynn2006, loribee, cooperbailey, nicole__ and nik211!

cearbhaill - LOL...you know me well. I am a klutz and tripped over the little stool I had there, many a times. Never did I trip over or run into the antique painted fireplace screen, nor have I yet to trip over the iron screen. It would be difficult. My family and I like the screen, so it's a keeper! I am in the process of painting the gold highlights on the medallion and the leafs, and I think they will further accentuate the screen and recess the air return.

jeannie01 - Our ceiling is 9', and the lowest part of our tray is about 10'. The post are not even close to the 9' section of the ceiling, and about 3' away from the trays lowest tier. The rest is in attic space. Hope that helps.

We rarely use the door to the screened porch, but I do like having it. Sometimes, I let the dog in and out that way if we are in our bedroom/bath areas. I also like the fact that we can escape out that way if there were a burglary or fire at night. Having been in a house fire, that was very important to me, as well as having the security system hooked up to the fire department. As for your "security" reason, if a burglar wants in, he can come through a window just as easily. I am thinking that at night, one would come through the front of the house, while the occupants are asleep in bedrooms.

• slicklydia
    13 years ago

Wow - that looks great! Now can you show photos of that beautiful dining room?

• cliff_and_joann
    13 years ago

So pretty, you must be thrilled. Love the colors, actually
    I love everything.

Joann

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

shilohsmom - Thank you for the compliments. Do a search of my name "newhomebuilder" and "dining room." I am sure you will find lots of "hits" for it. :)

cliff_and_joann - Another thank you! You know I love your home, too.

I just finished repainting the screen with gold accents. Hope I didn't go overboard....oops! When it dries, I am going to put on a coat of satin sealant. I will take photos of the wall without screen, and then with.

I've also played with the chair and pillow basket a bit. I don't, however, wish to hide it behind the flowered screen, because it would make using it difficult.

• ttodd
    13 years ago

My gosh it looks like a magazine spread!

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ttodd - I wouldn't go that far, because it's far from perfect, but thank you just the same. :)

I've done some tweaking!

Hallway without screen:

With newly painted screen:

Not a tripping hazard. Doorway is quite wide:

les - Is this better?

Showing that door can open without chair interference:

• natal
    13 years ago

Without the screen the eye is drawn up to the mirror. With it you see everything. Then again, I don't understand the use of either screen. Are they supposed to be for fireplaces?

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes natal, with the screen, you do see everything, and isn't it ALL pretty!

Without the screen, my eye is immediately drawn to the air return. :(

The antique painted screen (or shield) was originally used for a fireplace. According to history, a screen similar to mine, was used by ladies when they sat in front of the fireplace sewing. The shield would keep the intense heat off of their faces and hands, while the fire kept them warm and cozy. They were also used as a decorative centerpiece to the fireplace when the weather was warm. They could be plain, painted or even needlepoint(See link.) Today, these type screens are often seen in homes as decorative items. Some can be valuable. See another type of screen/shield in my fireplace (below.)

The screen that you see in my hallway is a decorative screen, used purely for "screening" the unsightly. These are also featured in many homes. It cannot be used in front of a real fireplace because it has no net type screening to keep hot embers from entering the room. It can be used in front of a gas fireplace, or to just "screen" the unsightly pit when not in use.

Double screened

During the winter, that screen goes to the upstairs den and hides the unsightly electronics under our TV.

Here is a link that might be useful: Victorian Needlepoint screen

• fluffybutt
    13 years ago

I love the changes you made. It was really nice before but now it's more fine tuned. Is that Decatur Buff you said was in your bedroom also the color in the hall (with the mirror) and your fireplace wall? Everything looks beautiful!

• yayagal
    13 years ago

Hey!!!! what are you doing living in the home in my head???? You may have to move lol. I LOVE all you've done, it's wonderful.

• les917
    13 years ago

I understand that the air return bothers you, but I honestly think that because that is kind of an odd spot for that type of fireplace screen, you really are sending the message "Hey, look, I am trying to hide something here", and in the process lose the beauty of the screen. There is also a bit of a disconnect between the screen and the mirror. I honestly think that the return disappears into the wall more when it is left alone.

However, if you really want to hide it, then I think what you need is a tall decorative panel there that encompasses the total space currently covered by the mirror and the fireplace screen.

As for the bedroom, I just have to try one more suggestion. How about flipping your chest of drawers and your DHs? His would work fine on the left, and then you could put yours on the right and angle the chair next to it in the blank corner.

I would be inclined to tuck the basket with the pillows under the console table, if putting the screen in front of the basket in the corner by the french doors doesnÂt work.

No matter what, it comes down to small details and personal preferences. The space is wonderful just as it is, and most importantly YOU and your DH are happy there.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Exactly, although I really appreciate your critique of my bedroom space.

DH would not allow me to switch chest of drawers. That's his "side" of the room, bed, bench, lol. Y'all don't know what it took to talk him into curtains! Although, he has been pretty good throughout this decorating process.

I did previously try to put the basket under the side table, but it is too tall with the pillows and would be a pain to get under to retrieve them.

As for the air return, I cannot block it with anything that large and solid. You should have seen the dust on the solid painted screen. The heating and air guys were not thrilled with that, either. One of these days, I'll see the perfect console table to put there, but in the meantime, that's what I feel comfortable with and it's staying. I can't believe y'all have not seen these decorative screens as just that...decorative! Must be a southern thing.

Anyhow, all I wanted to do is show you my newly revamped space because it is such a big improvement over what it was.

Thank you for the kind words, tryingtodecorate. The color is Decatur Buff in the bedroom, and my fireplace wall is as well. I have considered painting that entire wall like the trim color, a paneled look like my previous home (seen below) and may do so when we replace the fireplace box (another story.)

yayagal - We may sell, so come on!

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022