Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debrak2008

What window treatments in dining/living rooms?

debrak2008
10 years ago

Everyone has helped me so much with my "leaf" dining room I hope you can direct me to window treatments.

I'm terrible at this. For the first several years I had nothing on my windows. Guests would ask about it for privacy reasons. I just didn't know what to do. Finally put white metal blinds on all the windows. Well 20 years later, here we are.

I don't like the blinds because they are white and easily get dirty looking. Due to pets and such I need easy to clean treatments and the narrow curved blinds are a PITA. DH likes the white as it adds some brightness to the rooms. Sound absorption is needed in the rooms whether with window treatments or other ways. I have an inspiration photo of a like-mine room where matchstick shades with colored shears were used.

What would you do for the windows in the dining and living room?

1 or 2" flat blinds white or wood toned (have in our master and like them)?

Curtains or sheers? If so what color?

Shades, matchstick or other?

Combo of these?

Other ideas?

Front living room windows face north and actually look into an enclosed porch. Want light in but at night need some privacy from the street. The dining room windows face west. To much sun into the room at dinner time (summer) can be an issue. Some privacy at night needed.

I'm going to be asking for other decor ideas so if you want to comment on something else please do.

Here are some pics.

Looking from kitchen. You can see living room windows in the background.

Dining room windows before painting was done.

Another random photo of dining room showing part of window and painted wall.

Thank you!

Comments (38)

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Traditional with the arts and crafts wallpaper that your stencil is based on would be simple rod pocket linen or canvas curtains in off-white.

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

I would not cover up an inch of your gorgeous d.r. window and wall, so I would want simple Roman shades on those windows. They can be lined to keep out the west sun. In the l.r. you might think about stationary panels and shades/blinds for privacy. Again, not to cover up the wood work.

• localeater
    10 years ago

I think I would do a very simple shade, not blinds. My gut says that matchstick is not 'classic' enough for the rest of your elements. Can you share your inspiration photo that had them? I could be swayed!
    I would do a fabric shade with a small stright matching fabric cornice, for color I would highlight the stencil color. I think I might do some trim on the bottom of the shade and I would love a fringe that incorporated the main wall color as well as the leaf detail.
    Some thoughts(for style, not color):

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Greensboro Architects & Designers Laura Redd Interiors

[Eclectic Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2104) by Westport Interior Designers & Decorators Olga Adler

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by San Francisco Interior Designers & Decorators Tres McKinney Design

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

palimpsest, that maybe the easiest and best way to go.

Sounds like blinds are out. What I do like about blinds is the how you can control the light and the shadows they create. With blinds its seems like all or nothing. hmmm...

So my inspiration photos, well, don't laugh...its from Home magazine (out of business) April 2005. It would be hard to post here so here is a photo from houzz that is similar except in the inspiration room there were sheers in an off white/tannish color.

[Traditional Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2107) by Flower Mound Interior Designers & Decorators Lawanna Wood Designs

andee, Thanks! All these years it has been about not covering up or competing with the woodwork. I just feel now I need to soften things a little. Hopefully we can come up with compromise.

localeater, your first photo has given me an idea for the kitchen. Originally thought blinds but decided to leave naked for now. Your gut is probably right but take a look at the photo above and tell me what you think.

I do like the matchstick for allowing some light through. Perhaps a roman shade in a light weight linen/canvas?
    Or a roman shade with curtains as palimpest described (lightweight enough to allow light through)?

As you can see I have lots of room on the sides of the living room windows but none on the dining room.

• rosie
    10 years ago

I'm definitely with Palimpsest. Continue the Arts and Crafts with the simple panel curtains of the era. Perhaps get creative with a homemade semi-shear shade to pull down, or keep the blinds. You know, all your lines are hard; curtains would hang vertically, so not be fussy, but would help soften the picture. They could be solid or carry the dining room idea into the living room.

I think in future people are going to look at the all the hard, sternly rigid, surfaces in room after room and think, "What were we thinking?" One gets used to the look of one's current era, especially when everyone's calling it the cat's meow.

• roarah
    10 years ago

I agree a simple rod pocket panel but maybe instead of off white I might use a golden brown linen or even silk, like in this picture of one of my favorite dining rooms of all time. It reminds me a lot of the feel you have going...Lovely work!!!

• localeater
    10 years ago

Did I ever tell you how great the stencil came out by the way, it is really lovely. And you are in upstate NY, right? Anywhere near Saratoga? You house reminds me of that area, which is where I grew up.
    So back to window treatments.....I like the matchstick blinds with a soft panel, preferably a sumptuous one like roarah posted, but my first choice would be a simple shade with the sumptuousness in the fabric and bullion fringe elements. Then the clean lines of the molding can still shine.
    For light control, did you know you can actually double stack shades. You can put a very filmy translucent one in behind and a mounted a bit lower than the thick sumptuous one. If you just want some glare control the filmy one comes down. If you want to block outside noise and at night pull them both down.
    Sort of like this, which is from a tutorial on design sponge about how to make fabric roller shades.

From GW Photos

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

It looks like the frame is directly in the corner, so if you have curtain panels, they would cover up the frame on that side of the window. Or am I not seeing this correctly?

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Blinds have to go as they have some dents and I hate cleaning them.

rosie, The semi shear shade with the panels palimpsest described sound like it would work and might be the easiest.

roarah, I saw that dining room today on houzz! Thought maybe the panels were too dark??

localeater, western New York outside of Buffalo. Many do call this area upstate but its really not. Thanks : )

The idea of the double panel sounds interesting. What fabric would I use on the outside panel? It would have to be plain right? Can't compete with the leaves on the wall, right?

Could the thin shade be mounted on the inside like the blinds are now and the other one on the outside.? It would cover some of the wood but not as much as panel curtains would.

nosoccermom, you are right, the dining room windows are in an alcove and panels there would cover the wood.

I'm going to look up that design sponge as this is looking like another diy project.

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 21:56

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Just remember that matchsticks, unless lined, do not provide privacy. On the inside, they make you feel as if you have privacy, but from the outside, you can see right in.

I can see gathering batiste (with or without embroidered border) onto tension rods placed inside each window at about 2/3 of the way up, leaving the top 1/3 of the window exposed. It provides light and privacy and works with the A&C style of the house.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Again, traditionally the simple panels I suggested were often installed with small 3/8" solid brass rods set inside mount or within the trim so as to not cover the woodwork.

Its like the picture that Annie posted above but sturdier and more permanent than tension rods. And about as simple and unobtrusive as you can get.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ann Wallace

• lizbeth-gardener
    10 years ago

debra: Not meaning to hi-jack, but have same style house with same type window issues. I have the window treatment in kitchen that annie and pal are showing (except they are loose at bottom) and it is very functional. The trim in kitchen is painted white and the gathered batiste curtains are hung outside of frame on one continuous rod for two windows, which makes enough width to pull open in daytime and they look fine. The curtains are actually split, so when I pull them open each window looks like a separate curtain, but when closed appears as one long curtain.

The question I have is if I try to do that look in the LR and DR where the trim is dark wood, won't it look odd to have the white curtain hung on the outside on the dark trim?

I actually like the look better when hung inside the window, but that makes them too narrow to pull open in daytime and we like them open for even more light. Also what do you do for total privacy at night if you hang them inside the frame?

I have a triple window in DR over window seat and a double in LR , as well as a small double over each side of fireplace/mantle in LR with this issue.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all the replies.

Decided can't do panels. The reason being is that if they are mounted inside then even when pushed to the side they would still cover a portion of the glass. We like the light and the views.

I think the double shade seems best. I'm thinking maybe a solar bottom shade. One that would help block the afternoon sun but not completely obstruct the view. Then a more period fabric shade on top to pull down at night.

Annie, That's what I did in the downstairs bathroom. Thanks for the pic.

Palimpsest, Ann Wallace has beautiful shades. Thanks for posting the link. If I had more $ I would order them. Instead I will attempt to DIY some shades and put my own twist on the arts and crafts design.

I'll keep you posted...

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I would install inside mounted roller blinds (white or cream) with these panels. You can keep your privacy as desired, or bring in light.

Of course you don't have to use birds but I think they'd look great with the DR and the overall style of your home. But something lace for sure.

• powermuffin
    10 years ago

I hope that you can minimize any damage to the beautiful wood trim! Mine was full of 100+ years of nail holes from window treatments. It is much easier to repair the plaster or dry wall. Just a thought.
    Diane

• localeater
    10 years ago

Hi Debra, Dont know if you are still following this post or if you have finished you DR window treatments. I am shopping for window treatments for my DS's room and on a site that was recommended to me, came across the double shades we had discussed.
    Here is a link: there seems to be lots of options

Here is a link that might be useful: Horizon twin shade

• faiza2
    10 years ago

I thinks Shades, matchstick is the best for you.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I still haven't made a decision but come back here to reread all the posts. I really looked at the windows and what exactly is needed. After what has been way too much time thinking about window treatments I'm wondering if this will work....

Roman shades something like this.

[Contemporary Roman Blinds[(https://www.houzz.com/products/contemporary-roman-shades-prbr1-br~t_623~s_2103)

If so, white? or off white, tan?

Then some type of sheer/lace curtain like what oaklyok posted above. I would do a rod pocket in "brass" as was suggested by pal.

With this combo I can leave the shade up all day with the lace closed to let in lots of light but obsure the view just a little or push wide open. During bright sun or at night I can put down the shade.

Honest opinions please.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Honestly? I don't think roman shades go with lace or sheers...one is formal and dressy, the other is casual. If you like the lace or sheer panels, then use a roller shade underneath for privacy at night.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks annie. Colors? The window frame is white, should the shade be white? Should the shade and curtains match? I doubt I could get it exact. Pal had suggested off white but he was only referring to linen curtains. I really considered the linen panels but they would block too much light in the dining room during the day.

Oh and I have been following your window treatment thread. Couldn't sheers be used if they are more formal? I am little confused by some of the photos. Such as a formal room with matchstick blinds and formal curtains. I would not think matchstick is formal.

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 20:52

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Well, I'm thinking that if you want daytime privacy with light and night time complete privacy, then the sheers like Oakley posted would be fine and roller shades would disappear underneath for daytime and provide complete privacy at night. The roman shades posted would never disappear as well.

I'd ignore the white window frame and go with something softer like an ecru. The roller shade doesn't need to match but should be in a similar color way.

• User
    10 years ago

The only problem I see with the roller style is where do you purchase high enough quality that will last? It seems anymore they never work like the ones of my youth. I finally gave up and bought either some sort of wood blinds or went with roman shades.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

justgotabme, the quality of the roller shade is a concern of mine. Cost is a major issue and I have been looking at HD and lowes. The roller shades don't get the greatest reviews while the roman shade have better reviews. We do have HD roller shades in a rental property for over 10 years and they are still fine.

annie, thanks for the color advise.

Need to ponder this and check the budget.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

We have a large double window in a bedroom and already had a roller shade break on it. So we went to "Blinds to Go" and bought a chain operated one. It wasn't cheap, but the quality difference was quantum in terms of the material, the metal in the brackets the smoothness of operation, etc. So quality is out there, but you aren't going to find it in a big box store.

Again, if the purpose is to see only the sheers during the day and then provide complete privacy, if not necessarily room darkening as these are living, not sleeping spaces, then you can always get a duette shade underneath...those disappear really well for daytime and will give complete privacy.

For color, with the lovely gold in the wall paper, you could even go with a golden sheer. There are a number on overstock.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blinds to go

• User
    10 years ago

Thanks Debra and Annie. I'd like to get some roller shades for this room as I'm up here late and night on my computer. Though I doubt anyone looks in, it's the second floor in a country neighborhood with no neighbors directly in view, but I feel on display even with the bamboo roman shades down. I hate that feeling. I know you can get liners for roman shades, but I like being able to see through them in the day time.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just opened the blinds for the day. I'm tempted to just keep them for now and add some curtains, LOL. Maybe if I found a job I wouldn't sit here all day trying to decorate with no money : )

About colors.... The living room is all the gold color in the stencil. You can see it in the first photo. I can see gold sheers looking good in the dining room but could I use the same ones in the living room. It would just blend in with the wall. ???

• User
    10 years ago

Debra, I have very similar Roman shades to the ones you posted. They are from JCP and I'll link to them below. I'm adding a photo of them all the way open I ran down and took with my cell phone for you.
    After looking at mine again I see no reason you couldn't use them with pretty sheers like Oakley posted. No they don't almost disappear, but the lines or minimal and if the colors of the shade and sheers are close to the same I can't see there being anything too distracting. Thought I got mine on sale for considerable less, they aren't bad if you can buy them in pairs and use the 15% off FALL38 code.

Here is a link that might be useful: Savanah Roman Shade @ JCP

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

justgotabme, Those are the blinds are was looking at! I just didn't know how to post the photo so I found that other one on houzz. It looks great with your woodwork.

If I do sheers I would try to something a little more tame.

Need to think on this more. One good thing about jcp as they are back to sending out coupons. So if I can't do it right now, more offers will come soon.

• User
    10 years ago

We've been very happy with these Debra. We don't open and shut them daily as they are in the Sunroom and there's no one that could see in, but their mechanics work well. I wish I could put up some sheers to show you how they look, but the rods do not come off as we made them from PVC pipe since the windows go clear across the back of the room and standard rods wouldn't have worked.

• debrak_2008
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Well it's been a while but finally this project is going to happen. DH is measuring the windows now for replacement. He asked what I want to do for window treatments once the new windows are in place. Yea! Back in 2013 I was unemployed and things are better now. Still on a budget though.

How about this? I would get some decent roller shades and stencil something art and craftsy. Then put simple rod pocket linen or canvas curtains in off-white with a small brass like rod mounted half way down so the design on the shade would show. Thoughts?

• debrak_2008
    7 years ago

I added a photo but it's not showing up. UGH.

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

Are you aware that you can get Arts and Crafts stained glass window decals? Really awesome ones. I might go with roller blinds (nice ones) on top and that on the bottom.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Your look is craftsman so I would go with craftsman shades. Here is one store's examples. Handwerk Shop

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    7 years ago

I was just about to post that roller shades were apparently a period window treatment. And stenciling was my next thought as you seem to be very good at it. You could also still do matchstick blinds and get them lined ( I have this in my media room). And then add gauzy curtains and stencil those.

• debrak_2008
    7 years ago

If I had shades like the ones from handwerk in that off white color would I get the stencil? and put a stencil on the curtains? I think stencil on both would be too much. Plain shade and stencil curtains or stencil shade and plain curtains?

The other issue is color. If the shade is an off white color what would the curtains be? I don't think it's in this thread but one of my favorite places, Roycroft inn has black shades and then curtains with a leaf pattern. Looks really cool but I can't find a photo. The photo I took doesn't show the blackness of the shade. Off white shade with black curtains?

Annette I just reread your post. So plain shade and then stencil the curtains? My concern would be they would both be off white (except for the stencil part). How would that go together?

Trying to find a photo showing a shade and curtains together.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    7 years ago

You could do the shade or the curtains in a green or light gold to complement the wall colors. Then off white for the other. I think a stencil of any arts and crafts image would work. Also the stencil could give you an opportunity to add an accent color, like a blue, red, orange etc.

I am very new to the whole arts and crafts style so my advice is based on the endless research I have been doing lately. I am sure there are others on the site with a lifelong love and understanding of the genre.

If you do the center stencil on a cream shade you could do lightweight curtains in either green, gold or the rusty red orange color.

Shades

• debrak_2008
    7 years ago

roycroft decorI just called the Roycroft Inn. They don't have a photo available of the window treatments but the hostess took time to describe it in detail to me. A plain black roller shade that can be pulled down all the way. Half way down the window is the rod with a gauzey off white curtain with a leaf pattern. Similar to the leaves on the wall but without the flower parts.

Here is the thread that has a photo of the library room and the wallpaper.http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2653909/decor-ideas-from-roycroft-inn

I don't want leaves on the curtains, at least not that many but I am very tempted by the black shades.

Is that crazy?

• cpartist
    7 years ago

debark if you like that style for the leaves, look up William Morris and also look up Bradbury and Bradbury wallpaper company. The wallpaper company might also have printed fabrics. I don't recall.

Personally I'd do a simple stencil on the shade, and I love your idea of a black shade. You could do cream, green and a touch of red for the stencil just along the bottom edge and then find an allover leaf pattern for the curtains. It would look fabulous and honestly? Thanks for the idea. ;)