Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dorry2

Help with a sofa decision

dorry2
11 years ago

I am shopping for a sofa for a second home. It is a beach town and casual (sounds redundant)!! Initially, I thought I wanted a cottage look, shabby chic, but this house is new construction and I don't think I want that look in a spanking-brand-new home!! What are your thoughts on this sofa? Too stuffy? I also wanted a two-seat cushion...this one is three. The fabric will be a lemon-lime with white or taupe contrast welt. I want this place to be totally different than my year-round residence.

I also like the clean look without a skirt -less fussy, I think.

I am not going high-end simply because the place will be used maybe two months/year, if that! It is not a rental, so no worries about having to purchase tough as nails furniture!

THoughts and comments appreciated.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (9)

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Can you get it without the nail head detail?

Can you turn the cushions or are they attached/semi attached?

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Just because it's new doesn't mean it can't be casual, if that's what suits the way you will live in it.

And yes, I think that sofa is too formal...mostly because it says "Sit up straight!" instead of "Pass me a pretzel - has anybody seen my shoes?"

• dorry2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not sure about the nail head option - think it is standard. Hahaha, Bronwyn, funny comment. Interestingly, my husband and i really don't eat in the family room. Drink, yes, wine and beer! The more casual, two-cushion sofas are just too oversized with huge arms. I don;t like that look! I will keep looking for a sofa!

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

Is this the kind of beach house where people come in with sandy remnants on their feet and sandy bottoms? Is it the kind of beach house where people are a little sticky with salt water and beach towels can end up anywhere? Or is this the kind of beach house with perfect bermuda shorts, tucked in shirts and Topsiders? Since you don't seem to consume potato chips and grapes in the FR, I'm going with the Topsiders and all the sand outside. How about something more along the lines of this LLBean sofa?

• busybee3
    11 years ago

i like the sofa itself, but am not crazy about the front feet- they don't seem right with the style. i would choose a different foot.

• suero
    11 years ago

A number of companies, like Thomasville/Drexel -Heritage, give you options for several of their sofas, like arm style, nailhead or not, number of cushions, cushion style, skirt or feet (and a variety of feet styles), and sometimes even lengths.

• dorry2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Allow me to clarify my post. This place is a golf-tennis resort near the beach. We are there for the golf and tennis, so no sandy bodies and daily trips to the beach. We have a shower outside should we decide to go to the beach. I like the casual appearance of this sofa, just not crazy about the arms. I would probably have to go with more chunky chairs to work with this sofa.

{{!gwi}}

So what do you think about this sofa?

• dorry2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

and another possibility. I failed to mention that the sofa will go on a long wall - nearly 18' long, so that is why I am looking for a long sofa - this one is 95." The one above is 92 and the previous one with the nailheads is 84."

{{!gwi}}

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

From all the things you've told us about your preferences, your place, and the way you live, I think the last one you posted is a good choice - long, three cushions, smaller lower arms & Lawson style seat, neutral color...

I'd probably opt for fewer (and slightly smaller) loose pillows along the back, but that's because in this arrangement, you have to shove them around to get comfortable, and refluff every time you get up to keep it looking this way. But from the photo, it appears that the sofa has loose back cushions, so you don't need the pillow extravaganza to make it work.