Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reno_fan

Sneak peak @new kitchen- Can I get away with no backsplash?

reno_fan
15 years ago

I had planned to do the ubiquitous tumbled marble, but I'm so smitten with the paint color showing, I'm thinking about skipping the backsplash. (This is the investment house, not our personal residence.)

Here's the before and under-construction quasi-after:

Comments (30)

• annzgw
    15 years ago

Why not do at least a 4" backsplash of the same material as the counter? It'll give it a more finished look and will save the wall.........especially if this ends up becoming a rental.

• tinker_2006
    15 years ago

It's looking great! I will tell you though - our kitchen looked nice before the backsplash, but the backsplash definitely took it up a notch. I do think you need something to give it a finished look.

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Annz, the counters were original to the house. It's an older granite, so trying to find a match would be impossible. (Plus, I tend to think the short little backsplash pieces visually shrink the wall, if you know what I mean. It's almost like it chops it up with only having 8ft ceilings.)

Tinker, you're right. I think I may just have "it's-almost-done-it's-good-enough-isn't-it" syndrome. LOL! I'm so sick of this house I could just vomit. I'm ready to be DONE!

• kim2007
    15 years ago

That is nice! A breath of fresh air after what was there. I go along with those who said a bit of backsplash is needed, but I don't think it has to be really complicated. And when you're done, you can email a picture of it to the previous owners...in prison ; )

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

I agree -- while it looks quite nice as is, a backsplash will just give it that completely finished look. I like Annz's idea to bring the counter material up onto the wall a few inches.

• jen9
    15 years ago

Reno:
    Can you explain what you've done --- i.e., did you keep the lower cabinets & purchase just new uppers, etc. (My parents have just purchased a home which they are updating a bit, but will hang onto it as a rental, so they are trying to make use of the exisiting kitchen cabinets - they are 'shorter' like your previous with soffits.)

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jen, yes, we kept the frames of the lowers because the existing granite was in good shape, but had them refaced. We had the ceiling raised, and had all new uppers built, as well as a refrigerator cabinet and a new oven cabinet. Not shown in the picture is the beadboard paneling we added to the lowers under the bar. The lowers got all new doors and drawer fronts as well.

I tell you though, the *only* reason we did that was because of the granite. It's actually more difficult, more time consuming, and way more expensive to work with existing stuff than it is to rip it all out and start from scratch.

• daisyadair
    15 years ago

I think it's just beautiful the way it is. I think at this point I would leave it as is, giving yourself the option later of adding a backsplash that you are really in love with.

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Daisy, this is our investment house. It's going on the market next week.

• amck2
    15 years ago

You've done an amazing job on that kitchen! Going on the market next week? In that case, I wouldn't add a backsplash. While prospective buyers might want to do something to protect the walls, it gives them the option of personalizing it to their own taste.

I'm speaking as a "less is more" person. Although I've admired lots of the colorful and intricate backsplashes I've seen, I think I would soon tire of them. I would be more drawn to purchase a house that allowed me to put my own final touches on it. Just MHO -

• eandhl
    15 years ago

Are you living in this investment house? Or remodeling and flipping?
    If living there and you enjoy cooking during this time how about painted beadboard in the color you are smitten with? It might be easier to keep clean than sheetrock. If flipping I think it looks fine.

• daisyadair
    15 years ago

If it's an investment house, then it's just fine as it is. Prospective buyers are going to be so blown away by the fabulous woodwork and details they aren't going to be put off by the lack of a backsplash.

• fussy_chicken
    15 years ago

Reno, I vote no backsplash. I'm sure that if you did one it would be fantastic but personally I'd save the money. It looks so nice now that I don't think adding one is going to influence the sale of the house at all.

Is there a thread to catch up on all that you've done to this house? Would love to see more photos!

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I agree, for resale, it does not need the backsplash. As long as the drawers open/close smoothly, there are a few pullouts, and the GRANITE, any prospective buyers will be blown away. When you stage it, just add a little something decorative/colorful like a bowl or oranges or lemons in the corners. Bet no one will even notice it doesn't have a BS. Tile is always a risky thing as it's so personalized--difficult and expensive to redo if you don't like it.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

What you said about it being more trouble to rip out then build new, is the main reason we opted to build then buy another already built house. We knew any house we could afford already built would have to be compeltely redone to our liking so DH said to heck with that (since he's doing the work), we'd build because it's so much easier.

If this flip is strictly for resale I don't think you need a back splash. If it's for rent put some beadboard up there and be done with it. You mentioned you have the beadboard in the cabinet doors, so it would look good I think.

• fussy_chicken
    15 years ago

I bet she's busy putting up a backsplash.

;-)

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

What is the color you are smitten with? I think it looks great and no I would not add any more. What you have there is a clean, calm, classy kitchen that someone can put their stamp on by adding their own backsplash. Heck, I would even use that as a selling feature. Sort of like buying a spec house and being able to pick out some of the finishing touches. Put in an allowance. Good luck!

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

I also say leave it as is! I think it turned out great! Good Luck on selling quickly!

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Harumph. We may have to do a backsplash. There's a pretty wide gap between the counter and a portion of the wall. It's too wide to caulk. There used to be a backsplash that covered the gap.

I really want to leave it as-is, though!

• eandhl
    15 years ago

Get out the wall compound and fill up the crack, feathering up & out so it won't look there was a crack and then repaint the area. Or for resale, do you know what shoe molding is? The old fashion looking one? It is about 3/4 inch tall, and would go with the cabs painted to match the wall.

• Meghane
    15 years ago

Reno- I too am smitten by the paint color. What it is? When I go to sell my house, whenever that will be, I will need to neutralize the decor. That is a lovely color that even I could live with, for a little while anyway.

• lyfia
    15 years ago

How about some rope molding type accent tile just along the countertop to cover the gap? I think they are about 1" tall and easy to get in lots of different colors. Pick something out of the granite and match, or do the kind that are a metal look.

• sheesh
    15 years ago

I hope you don't have to do the backsplash. It looks great as it is.

I've never had a backsplash. Good paint is just as easy to maintain.

• flyingcarrot
    15 years ago

I didn't read all the comments, but wanted to put a vote in for glass tiles (1/1") in the wall color you like. Would add a lovely subtle sparkle.

The few inches of granite as low backsplash always looks chintzy to my eye.

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I may just have to bust out the drywall mud and build up the area a bit. There's something very calming about the kitchen as-is. I don't know what it is, but it's soothing to walk into that room. I'm sure it would be nice with a backsplash, but I really don't know if I'd like it as much.

The paint color is Benjamin Moore Twilight Gold #1069. (I used it throughout my personal house as well, and it's a *great* golden camel color that's a nice, deep color without going too dark.)

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Plus, we just had to replace the furnace. That was NOT in the original budget. Glurg.

• awm03
    15 years ago

reno, that *is* a lovely paint color. It even makes the floor look good (antique brick pavers or worker-scuffed vinyl? It looks great on my monitor!) The sconces are a beautiful touch too. So elegant.

Well, I vote for the traditional 4" backsplash in the same material as the counter. It would blend in & not detract from the beautiful lines of the kitchen design.

• User
    15 years ago

If you love the color, why not more beadboard in that color? It's not expensive, and would be a nice finishing touch.

Alternatively, you could offer a small allowance for a backsplash and give the prospective buyer the chance to "customize" the kitchen slightly to his or her own taste. That would buy you some time, also.

• hoosiergirl
    15 years ago

Reno, the kitchen is beautiful! For an investment house, I'd use a small piece of trim, either tile or wood painted to match the walls and call it a day. Since it's beautiful as is, I don't think it would be worth the extra cost for the full backsplash. Good luck!

• annzgw
    15 years ago

To close up a gap with drywall mud, and make it look nice, can be a lot of work. You may be better off doing as suggested above with either painted shoe mold or rope molding. It's a classy kitchen and it sounds like you need some type of trim for a true finished (read hiding gaps) look.