Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Minimalist *Traditional* eye candy

palimpsest
9 years ago

As a complement to pipdog's minimalist house posting, this house coincidentally came on the market today

Hugh Newell Jacobsen (1988), first time offered. Very minimalist in detail, but a traditional form with traditional interior elements that reference antique houses of the area.

A few things to note, in no particular order. No trim on any window or door; no baseboards, with the wall floating off the floor with a narrow reveal. Window treatments in some areas recessed into pockets. Granite countertops from 26 years ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: BH Fox Roach Listing.

Comments (29)

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I really love this architect's take on the modern farmhouse. Would buy in a heartbeat if I had the money (and wanted to live wherever.)

• User
    9 years ago

I love Jacobsen's architecture, especially his signature egg crate bookshelves.... they are so clean looking.

Not sure if I could live in a house without moldings, but I'd certainly try in that house! Thanks for posting this, Pal, it's really great.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

Pal.
    Love this home and the one above from Pipdog.
    So not like anything I have ever lived in or even seen in my neck of the woods but is fun to see and dream.

• sochi
    9 years ago

Oh my. That is absolutely fantastic. Love it. Thanks for sharing.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Too white for my tastes. I need way more color and certainly loads of wood trim and cabinetry. I can certainly understand why some would like though, as the idea is done quite well.

I'm suffering from a migraine now and being that makes me highly sensitive to light, could be part of my harsh judgement. I don't imagine, even if I were pain free, I would like the interior white shutters though. They seem totally out of place in this sleek home.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting Pal. I usually don't care for minimalist but I enjoyed looking at this one.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Thank you for posting it. Interestingly I don't love it. And actually prefer the modern minimalist house, despite general preference for traditional over modern. I think this one feels neither here nor there to me for some reason.

• amck2
    9 years ago

I only recently discovered Jacobsen when I was visiting my DS & DIL in Denmark. They love his work and hope to incorporate many aspects of the look if they ever build back here in the U.S. I've become a fan, even though I would have once found the style too minimalist. So much of the beauty of his houses come from where & how they are sited.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

That is simply elegant.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

A house I love to look at and perhaps visit, but not live in. Too white and too tidy. I need traditional but with all the pretty color and clutter that go with it.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I love that house. I could live in it very happily. Thanks for sharing the listing, Palimpsest.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I certainly would give it a try. Love the white interior combined with the green outdoors. Without that juxtaposition, it might be too much white for me, but I do like Jacobsen. Also like the contrast of the bookshelves against all the white. Come to think of it, I do believe I could be quite happy there. ;)

Thanks for sharing.

• larecoltante Z6b NoVa
    9 years ago

Oh, my. The lovely things one can do with good taste, money, and a commitment to a vision. Thank you for posting, Pal.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I love this. It reminds me of a firm in Newport that does what they call "Yankee Modern". We met with them back when we were planning to build instead of buy.

The only thing that I don't care for is the very tall chimneys (smokestacks?) on the left? Is that function or a design statement?

• lizzie_grow
    9 years ago

As Annie saidâ¦Simply Lovelyâ¦love, love, love it!!

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think the chimneys may need to be that high because of the roofs, but its probably also a statement.

Jacobsen really Developed this form. I know the "modern farmhouse" is getting more and more popular, but he's been doing this and refining the form for over thirty years.

• melsouth
    9 years ago

I wouldn't just happen across these kinds of listings, especially so far away from me, so thanks for posting the link.
    What a great house!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Overall, really love it and could very easily live there! There are a few things I'm not crazy about (TV over fireplace, the stairs --- good looking but scary; the granite; the skimpy inside shutters). But love the white and cream and light HW floors, beams, etc.
    Stupid question: When you say floating walls, no baseboard, does that mean that crumbs and dust bunnies disappear in that small crack?

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They don't really disappear, because the reveal is 1" high or less and 3/4" deep or whatever the drywall thickness is and the back of the reveal is sealed, so to speak. It's a lot pickier detail than baseboard. You have to vacuum it, but it doesn't "hide" stuff really, it's too shallow.

Jacobsen started doing more reveals in later houses

• Pipdog
    9 years ago

love it!

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I would not care for that reveal at all. With most of our home being without baseboard yet, I can tell you it's a pain in the lower back having to vacuum those areas, while bending over to make sure you got everything. Even with my dyson, vac, it's impossible to get everything because little pieces of paper, wherever they come from, slide under the floor making it impossible for even a vacuum that "really sucks" get them out.

• Fori
    9 years ago

It's pleasant enough, but it's still weird.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There's not much of crack like there can be under a baseboard, because in typical construction there is often a pretty big gap at the bottom of the drywall back to the baseplate holding the studs and at the edges of the floor and with this detail there isn't. Things have to be much tighter.

It's really not that much harder to take care of than a conventional baseboard that has a detailed profile. No matter what it is you still have to clean it. I had this detail in one area of my last place.

The big difference is that you can't bang into it with the vacuum cleaner or other things like you can a baseboard because it's a little more delicate, it's usually the same paint finish as the rest of the wall.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

OK, so then no to that reveal. The older I get, the more I need function over form.

But thank you so much for posting. i didn't know that HNJ is based in my own backyard.

Two more houses, one just sold for 1.67 mio, the other is still on the market fo999K, which is actually quite reasonable in the DC area.
    (and they have baseboards :)

Here is a link that might be useful: two more Hugh Newel Jacobsen houses for sale

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those are really early--1966--and he hasn't really developed the form for which he became famous. You can see hints of what's to come, though.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the way to do reveal with baseboard. It gives the minimalist appearance but raises the reveal and gives you a more durable wood base next to the floor

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I really like the way it's situated on the sloping lot and LOVE the style of the house. As far as the furnishings are concerned, the orange sofa is perfect in the otherwise white room. What a house!

• peegee
    9 years ago

To me the look really depends on that greenery outside as a foil....wonder what's the effect in winter?
    I'm quite ambivalent; I find the exterior both fascinating and a little creepy.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Love the peaked ceilings and the study/lounge area. I like this one better than the other one, which is a little surprising.