Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maddielee49

Chalk paint for furniture?

maddielee
12 years ago

Anyone have any knowledge about chalk paint? A local shop has started carrying a chalk paint by Annie Sloan and are offering classes in its use.

It sounds interesting...but I have no knowledge. Anyone have any experiemce with it?

Thanks.

ML

Here is a link that might be useful: Chalk paint by Annie Sloan

Comments (18)

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Miss Mustard Seeds uses this and has several tutorials on her blog:

Here is a link that might be useful: MMS

• DLM2000-GW
    12 years ago

Chalk paint is all over the blogosphere right now - it's the current big idea. I haven't used it - the price makes me break out in a sweat!!! but I'm sure at some point I'll break down. Normally these trends leave me cold if for no other reason than they are often overpriced and underperforming, but Annie Sloan has been around for a long time and has a well respected reputation in the decorative painting world. If she's behind this product, I'd trust it. There's probably a learning curve to get the most out of it but that's true of most paint products.

• igloochic
    12 years ago

You know, I rarely read blogs...but MMS was really fun :) Thanks allison.

• sashasmommy
    12 years ago

Centsational Girl has a post about it, too

• maddielee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for those blog references. I love the look of the Annie Sloan colors.

I wonder if the 'feel' is very different then milk paint?

• DLM2000-GW
    12 years ago

maddielee I've wondered that, too. What I think may be a big difference is coverage and consistency. Sometimes milk paint won't thoroughly blend and you are left with clumps of undissolved product in your mix. It's also very sheer - intentionally so, and it is a lot of work and many layers to get full coverage. The chalk paint seems to have much more pigment in it and can be buffed up (without wax) to a sheen.

Here's another post with a lot of info

Here is a link that might be useful: Perfectly Imperfect - Chalk Paint FAQ

• maddielee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dlm, thanks....I'm leaning towards giving the AS chalk paint a try. I have a shiny pine sideboard (craigslist find) that I want to paint for our daughter's house..

Would love to not have to sand and prime.

ML

• soooomanyboys
    12 years ago

So, I drank the kool-aid and bought some Chalk Paint and now I have a new addiction! I love, love, love chalk paint! Seriously, love and want to marry chalk paint! It is crazy expensive, but so worth the cost to not have to sand and prime. The results are beautiful, especially if you use two colors and distress the piece. I have been painting (furniture, kitchens, whatever) for years and have never come across a paint like this.
    At first I was a little concerned about the durability of "chalk" paint, but when properly sealed with wax or another topcoat it holds up fine. My 10 year old son ran the metal part of his bike into a dresser I had just done in the garage and the paint didn't scrape off at all!
    There is a bit of a learning curve when sanding off but its worth the effort.
    Can you tell that I love this paint? I just wish someone in my area stocked it. The shipping is killing me!

Here are a few before and afters!

• schwager_comcast_net
    12 years ago

soooomanyboys - Those are beautiful pieces. I'm really thinking about buying some of the paint, but am having trouble deciding on the colors. What did you use on these pieces? thanks!

• redbazel
    12 years ago

That's what I want to know, what colors?

Red

• loribee
    12 years ago

Beautiful job!

• soooomanyboys
    12 years ago

Thanks for saying nice things! That made my day!
    The color I used in the first picture was Old Ochre with an Antique Brown wax applied over the clear wax (I don't love the Antique Brown color of wax, it is kind of a poo brown :-)
    On the buffet, I used Old Ochre over Versailles with Hannant's Dark wax (I DO like the color of this wax) applied over the clear.
    The Frenchy Blue one was a mix of Duck Egg Blue, Chateau Grey, Old White and Graphite. I wish I had a recipe, I just used what I had at the bottom of those cans and loved the color!
    So, go buy yourself some of this paint. It's awesome stuff!

• young-gardener
    12 years ago

I actually painted a dresser with it today, and I was SO i mpressed by how easy it was to use. I used old white and country grey with the clear wax. I'm afraid the colors don't photograph very well, but I'll post them for you. I didn't use a primer, and the dresser was in bad shape. I'm sorry that I don't have a before shot.

• emagineer
    12 years ago

Am finding this interesting as to ease of use and process. May be off topic, but I have always painted old furniture and even did the FP surround with acrylic craft paint. Buy the big bottles on sale, sometimes mix for a specific color wanted. The chalk paint almost looks/reads to be close to acrylic craft paint. Acrylic goes on beautifully and in one coat and goes a long way. I age items with regular stain (Minwax,etc). They have all held up well.

I'd love to get the formula for chalk and acrylic craft paint to see a comparison.

Enjoying the pics, love to see more of the great results. Amazing how good your projects turn out.

• maddielee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh My!

I just found this thread again today...beautiful pieces soooomanyboys and young-gardener!

Now I'm sorry I didn't use it. I'll have to find something else that needs redoing and give it a try.

ML (OP of this thread)

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

These pieces turned out spectacular! Wow. We have an old dresser where I want to use it. Hope I can get to it this summer.

• necia
    12 years ago

I've painted two pieces with Annie's Chalk Paint. I believe that there are pros and cons! We have had record temps here (30 days over 100 degrees) so the paint isn't easy to apply right now. I posted a review of the chalk paint on my blog (with pictures) but I don't think I am allowed to add my blog address in my post! You can find it on my member page, though.

The two posts with the ASCP are "Aubusson Cassandra" and "Lovely Ladies and One Handsome Boy".

HTH!

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

Necia, Like this ?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://capriciouscraze.blogspot.com/