Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubyclaire1

Curtain Confusion - Help!

rubyclaire
9 years ago

I thought I had this figured out but...I am completely flumoxed. This (very work-in-progress) room is the dining space in an open concept kitchen/living/dining area in our new home. The walls are Revere Pewter and I have white slip-covered dining chairs that will make their way here eventually. Two side chairs will live on either side of back window with fabric TBD.

My confusion is that I thought I wanted the white linen Ikea Aina curtains in this space but they are quite creamy (lovely) and I'm concerned about the color going a bit yellow with light coming through. The other curtains to the left are a linen as well but with a color a bit lighter than the wall color but same tone. When I put those up just to measure for another space, they seemed soft and lovely. Now I'm confused...what do you experts see that would sway you one way or another?

I know the photo is less than ideal but I was in a rush out the door and our new home is about 45 minutes away. Hope you all can see past the photo quality and clutter to weigh in. Thanks in advance!

Comments (17)

• vedazu
    9 years ago

You can't go wrong with either, but the ivory is really pretty, and dining rooms should be pretty.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

What does the white of the slip covers look like? I"d probably prefer the IKEA curtains, but not if they are too similar but not quite like the slip covers.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The slipcovers are a brighter white - closer to the BM Simply White trim color. A tad creamy but not nearly so much as the Ikea curtains.

I love a neutral palette but it is a bit trickier than it would seem!

• springroz
    9 years ago

I prefer the linen color, so the slip covered chairs will show.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

i agree... i would go with the linen color which is closer to the wall color-- i wouldn't want the yellowish color when the sun is streaming through.

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

Agree with busybee3.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I love the ivory curtains. So much so that I would consider them for my bedroom.

• romy718
    9 years ago

I think you'll have more flexibility with picking out fabric for the chairs on the sides of the window with the linen color. And I like the busybee's point about the white slipcovered chairs in constrast to the wall color & linen color.

• User
    9 years ago

I like a range of whites / ivories in a neutral room. Linen the color can also be hard to match and it fixes your room design at a certain point in time, IMO.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I love the linen color and also think you will have much more flexibility using that color.

Love your dining room btw!

• Jules
    9 years ago

Another vote for the darker linen curtains. Pretty room!

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks juju & aktillery for the compliments! We are eventually downsizing to this home for retirement in a few years and it is hard. I want this to feel different from our current home which has much warmer tones but still neutral. Apparently old habits die hard as I am instinctively drawn to those warmer colors/tones.

Consensus seems to be building for the darker linen color. Thanks again for the input - it is really helping!

• sundance510
    9 years ago

rubyclaire- I wanted to verify that those are what Ikea calls the white Aina curtains? I LOVE them and I think I might order them. The picture on their website looks more true white though so I just wanted to make sure that they're actually a creamier white like in your picture. Lovely room!

• MarinaGal
    9 years ago

Another vote for the linen.... I think they will make the space feel more serene and spacious. It is going to be a very pretty space!

• Patty C
    9 years ago

I think the darker linen is wonderful and will be more versatile. And I love your dining room; the windows are great.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sundance - yes these are the Ikea Aina curtains in White. They do look so very white online but are much creamier in person. I'd say my photo is a good representation of the true color. I find it very pretty. Hope they work out for you! If I go with the darker linen, I will definitely find a place for these in one of the bedrooms.

Thank you all again for weighing in and the lovely comments on the space.