Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charberry_gw

Zebra Rug

CharBerry
9 years ago

We are re-decorating our den. Installed hickory wood flooring, have 2 red leather couches, round cocktail and end tables that are wrought iron and leather, have to keep roll top desk. Will be getting new entertainment center with elec fireplace. One wall in end of room is french doors (which, I like uncovered) and 2 long windows on one wall.
The walls are pale sage green, lots of cream crown molding. I was thinking a zebra print rug would really set the room off. My husband isn't so sure. LOL. What do you think? Also, what window treatments would look good? I just have plain white wooden blinds on the 2 windows now.

Comments (7)

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

Isn't hickory wood flooring rather knotty and boldly grained? If so, I wouldn't put a zebra rug on top of that. I'd suggest something with less pattern, even solid or very lightly patterened i.e. heathered.

Throw a couple of zebra toss pillows on your red leather sofas (where they would look fantastic) to bring in that pattern if you really want it.

You could also bring in that pattern (maybe gray/white rather than black/white) on some panels to frame the windows.

(The sage green walls are throwing me off with your red leather sofas... can't picture that.)

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

We have engineered hickory wood flooring, and it doesn't have a bold grain pattern or knots. I think it would all depend upon the stain - our flooring wouldn't look that attractive with a zebra rug, since it has too much nutmeg coloring to work well, but a really dark stain, or really light stain might look pretty good.

Can you show us a photo of the room so people could visualize it better?

• CharBerry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both for your quick replies! I LOVE our new floor. It doesn't have knots and the color is mostly dark brown with some lighter streaks, but no nutmeg color. The walls are so, so, light that you barely notice the green and the 2 leather couches, we kept since they were (Expensive!) Actually the tables haven't been delivered yet. Supposed today? We bought a rug that's a light color with some gold and little color of the walls since the chair I was looking at had these colors, but I haven't bought any chairs yet. I will try and send a picture. Know that would be best! I was thinking like "Old English Den" type room since our house is very formal and traditional.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I think a zebra rug could look very good and add interest to the room. The best idea is to get one on approval, try it out in the room and return it if it doesn't work.

• CharBerry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've seen this used in pictures before and looked great. Never thought about getting on approval, but fantastic idea because the new rug is really not big enough to me and can't return it. I'm good friend of furniture dealer and can return and exchange any furniture I get there and he has 1,000 patterns for chairs. Think I should have room re-painted to off white like molding, doors, cabinets and wet bar?

• User
    9 years ago

Love the sound of your new furnishings, Char, and I REALLY love that you are calling it a den.....there is so etching so much more cozy and intimate about "den" than "family room."

A zebra print rug would be wonderful, but based on your description I'd try one in a chocolate and cream colorway instead of black and white.

• CharBerry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are going shopping again next weekend and I've decided that a chocolate cream instead of black and white would look great and the color on walls will blend nicely. Now on to what to do with 2 windows?

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida