Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mabeldingeldine_gw

Color palette problems -- what would you do?

mabeldingeldine_gw
10 years ago

We are working on a major refresh of our house, aiming for a fresh modern cottage look, if that makes any sense. The house is an old Cape in Maine, near a tidal river, and the house was at one point owned by a boat builder who added lots of wainscoting and built-ins.

We are in the middle of painting the sitting/woodstove room. The floors are white oak, and will be finished with clear poly. The walls are SW Sassy Green, ceiling is SW Jersey Cream and we really like it. We need a paint color for some, not all, of the trim. There will be 3 solid wood doors, and the trim around them to paint, and a small bit of baseboard.

We tried SW Restrained Gold and it is not working for us. We would prefer the doors/trim NOT be off white or white. I would love suggestions! We are stumped.

I know monitors vary, but in real life on my screen, the green is not quite that intense. There are a few more photos on Flickr.

Here is a link that might be useful: my photos

Comments (20)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

How about the same as color as your ceiling....Jersey Cream?

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Yes-- I think the same color as the ceiling. Are you going to bring in some navy accents? I think it would look great with your "sassy" (love the name) color.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I think I would go for a much darker color on the trim if you don't want white/cream. I think you need something to show contrast with the other color. Sorry don't have a suggestion though. Can you go several shades darker on the same strip as sassy green?

• sable_ca
    10 years ago

Mabel - I viewed your photos and must say that you have a GORGEOUS home and garden. I just stared and stared at that stunning garden. How do you ever keep up with it? I also love the interior of your home, especially your kitchen, which to me is a true cook's kitchen. What a life-loving place you have created - I hope you don't mind, but I saved your photos for inspiration!

As for your paint dilemma, I also would use the Jersey Cream on the dining room trim, especially if you're going to keep the wainscoting in its natural look. This would give you two soft and cheerful neutrals against the green. It would also give you free rein with colors in a rug and accessories.

Love the kitties also! I have a cat who waits for me to lie on my back and immediately climbs aboard. It has made floor exercises challenging...

• Olychick
    10 years ago

If you don't want cream/white, what about a lighter green - something like this (with the right tone to go with your paint)?

Here is a link that might be useful: [Green Hydrangea[(https://www.houzz.com/products/green-hydrangea-csp-850-prvw-vr~618436)

• sloyder
    10 years ago

maybe a bm minced onion or silken pine, for the trim

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

My own preference would be cream to match the ceiling, but if you don't want cream, I would do a darker color like a darker shade of the same green, or maybe a brown that complements the wood wainscot.

I love your "helper kitties"!

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions! It really helps to have some additional views on this, as we are too close to the problem. The ceiling paint (Jersey Cream) is a contender, thanks joanieponie and anele. We tried a bit and it is definitely better than the Restrained Gold.
    SableCa thanks for the compliments! We love the house, it is funky but fabulous, as we say. We have done a LOT of work on it, you wouldn't believe what it looked like when we bought it -- among other things, we hauled 21 old tires out of the backyard, and a huge trailer full of construction, etc. debris.

The house and garden is 99% DIY -- my DH and I are both educators so we have the summers to spend puttering and working. We love it although sometimes it is frustrating!

Off to the paint store later today -- we know the staff all by name at this point. Thanks again and keep the ideas coming. I read this forum avidly but rarely comment as I'm so bad at this and my taste is more funky/colorful than most here seem to prefer.

• rosie
    10 years ago

I wish I had a paint name to offer but just wanted to say I like the direction you're going. Great start. Hope to see more over time.

• sirienne
    10 years ago

Well, if you like funky/colorful, I have always liked a dark, muted teal with this sort of green:

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sirienne, how did you do that? What software? I need to try this, the drive to the paint store is getting old!

• lyfia
    10 years ago

mabeldingeldine - you can use the free software from BM and I think other paint companies has it too. You upload a photo and mask the areas you want to paint and then select the paint color.

Just realize that the color shown on your monitor may look different in real life so after you see something on your monitor, try to match it to a paint chip. It might help if you buy one of the fan decks from your favorite paint store too.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lyfia, I laughed when I saw your post, my SW swatch book is what got me into this mess ;-)

We picked a second color this morning in the same vein, but darker: SW Lanyard. Here it is:

I think this works for us. We have three doors and trim in the green room to paint, and hope we can also use the same color for a the other doors in the house for continuity's sake.

You can see it on the door between the kitchen and the dining room.

The top half is the Restrained Gold, the bottom is the Lanyard. The dining room is RL Maleya Red, and we are planning on keeping that color. Unless I find the perfect shade of eggplant purple!

Thank you all for your help and advice!

• jennybog
    10 years ago

Hi Mabel. I to live in a old cape in maine. It is never ending fixing a decorating a old house. Have you looked at BM vanilla ice cream. It goes well with the cottage color you have chosen.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Pretty home and wonderful garden!! Also LOVE your kitchen -- and your wonderful results -- yummy-looking food! :)

Yes -- another big vote for Jersey Cream (I even love the name of THAT paint color! LOL!)

• rosie
    10 years ago

I like it too with the green and cream. Strikes me as Warm, cool, cozy, lively, and sophisticated. Quite a trick. :)

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, jenny, teacats and rosie! Jenny I've seen your house somewhere on GW, it is so cute. I do love old Capes, not so fond of the wet weather in Maine right now, though, ugh.

Teacats me too on the Jersey Cream, yummmm. When we first started on the ceiling I was nervous, but now that the walls and ceiling are done and dry it looks great! We will use it again in the dining room and probably some upstairs rooms, too.

Rosie, that is JUST the vibe we are going for, so thanks for the validation! Comment like this help keep me going! Now, off to paint the trim the second coat!

• yayagal
    10 years ago

You've got to do it a deep eggplant, it makes that color sing. Here's a link with a great shade of it. It's one of my favorite combos, your walls and this eggplant.

Here is a link that might be useful: [eggplant paint[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/deep-eggplant-purple-wall-phbr0lbl-bl~l_41068)

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Oh I agree with yayagal a deep eggplant would look awesome with the green. In her link see three pictures down where the painting has a similar green. Or at least my monitor shows that.

I don't think that color works when I look at it on my monitor. It is a nice color by itself, but it just looks blah to me with the walls. Are you painting the wainscoating too?

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yayagal, thanks for that link, some good options there! I'll show my DH tonight.

Lyfia, we will not be painting the wainscoting, that is half the problem, finding a paint that works with the green and the wainscoting. The green looks fab with the wainscoting IRL. I do feel like I'm settling a bit with that color, but am running out of options and time. We need to finish this project as we have houseguests arriving at the end of the month.